• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tools required for 1911

sketch

Shot the shits out of the paper with my shooting partner today and he had a major breakage? !!

S&W 1911 sc .45

problem: plunger tube gone! No saftey or slide stop detents. 

Fix: remove sheered off plunger tube pin from frame. Recommended tools and task?

replace plunger tube with new parts (tube/spring/detents)

Recommend tool for setting plunger tube.? Flare out the pins and task?

this will be a first go so go easy ;) and thank you for the info!!!!

Thanks brother any ideas on getting the broken pin out? Which direction should it go?  Unfortunately i dont have the pistol in hand at the moment. 

How cleanly did they (there should be two) break off?  Unless there is a large piece of the plunger tube body still attached, and it looks perfectly cylindrical and unflared, I would try and punch it through to the inside of the frame.

This may be a help:

Pistol in hand lets begin..

remove slide remaining broken pin falls right out ?

ok remove grips... Im sure these screws were torqes at some point but not much to work with! First side was a chore and noticed something on the threads ?!

Now for the other side.. Same thing but WTF!! This is where i learn about the grip screw bushing..  What is the point of this added part and why is it threaded thesame direction as the screw? ?

Well adding new screws and bushing to the list! Hoping i can save the grips?

image.jpg

Whats the reason for a bushing in the frame for the grip screws? Is this also common on other models?

owner has had issues with these grips coming loose in the past and suspects gun smith locktited them on?  This action seems a nogo if there is other moving parts involved!

Whats the reason for a bushing in the frame for the grip screws? Is this also common on other models?

owner has had issues with these grips coming loose in the past and suspects gun smith locktited them on?  This action seems a nogo if there is other moving parts involved!

That's a possibility.

Look closely at the grip bushing holes. Does it look like they were properly staked?  They certainly shouldn't be coming out, unless the professional gun smiter used red loctite.