• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Elk season 2015 is Over.......

Magwa

Nice! I need to get into hunting. Only been a hand full of times. My in-laws go pretty regular but I have a suspicion they are either just camping with guns or they suck because they never bring anything home lol.

that's the thing a lot of guys ideas of hunting are going out and "hunting" aka getting drunk and away from their jobs/wives. Not saying that's how your Inlaws are, maybe they just suck at it lol. Two of the older guys I hunt with are turning into the getting drunk to get away from life, "hunting" types. It's really disapointing, first we have always shared meat and hunted as a group, and those to aren't pulling their weight. the other is they get really annoying when they drink, one of my good friends won't come up now because his son is getting to hunting age and he doesn't want him exposed to that. 

Its not a cheap hobby but it's very rewarding, with some reading and questions I'm sure you could figure somthing out on your own. An other friend and his father in law when to WY last year hunting antelope did it totally DYI bother ended up with nice antelope. He got all his info from reading online. 

They aren't really the get drunk type, they just like to be out in the woods (or desert). My father in law doesn't even hunt, he just hangs out at camp or follows with the AR on the chance they run into some bipedal predators. Nothing wrong with it at all, it would just be nice to tag along with some more experienced folks who are serious about bagging some meat.

They almost got a nice elk bowhunting recently, but they cheated a little. My bro is border patrol, and his buddy was manning one of the observation stations near the border and guided him in on the radio lol. He missed the shot though. Some excuse about not compensating for an uphill shot. 

Hey... Sometimes you just DONT see any animals during you week out. I'm zero for three. That's 3 weeks out hunting and spotting no deer ! Yet I have seen hundreds of deer when I am not hunting. Just no luck when I have a tag in hand !

One of my boys at work gets a deer every year with his dad. Although the last one was the size of a greyhound. Haha .   Cous deer are not big any way.

Guys I was shooting the Barnes 168 TTSX bullet they are devastating last years elk dropped in its tracks this years bull made it 5 feet the draw back of shooting a AR type rifle is the double tap it is like automatic you can't help it train train train you see something bam! you double tap.....lol but it is effective....

As to hunting or taking it up do it but...... go learn woods skills the only way is to go to the woods, woods skills include being comfortable in the woods no matter what the situation, Go with less and less equipment as you get more into it then you will understand the ways of animals and you have to scout ,to hunt in country devoid of game or hunted out is a waste of time ,money, and leaves you frustrated and  meatless, it is all about confidence, build it up and the more you do the more success you will have .

here is a quick scenario of this hunt.

The alarm went off at 4.00 AM up and kinda dressed head downstairs without waking the wife turn on the coffee maker and start checking your gear and list I have to be at the dock with my boat at 5.30AM drink a cup or two and now I am waking up ( I am 65 after all) so I am leaving at 5.00AM with my gun,license, Pack with everything you need to be in the woods 24 to 48 hours just encase...

Drive to the reservoir and my partner is there waiting launch the boat double check everything it is still dark fire up the fish plotter GPS and take off slowly following a course set on the GPS previously , once it gets light enough I will open the boat up we have 16 miles to go... we get there about 20 min,s after light and start glassing from the lake we have been watching these elk for 4 or 5 days they feed out in the clear cuts till 9.30 or ten but only when it is raining or foggy and today is both it is pouring and we are only getting open spots for a few minutes on the hillside due to the fog and heavy rain. Now we have seen elk using this area so our plan was to send one guy up one ridge and me up the other NOW I have been up there before I KNOW the lay of the land and I know the air currents go down in the AM  so we anchor up and take off it is about a 1200 to 1500 foot climb uphill it is steep. a hour later I am approaching a small little corner of the clear cut it is a little space you can not see from the lake, as I ease up to the opening I hear crunch, crack, thud and I know there are elk feeding in this place I have heard these sound many many times ELK are NOISY when undisturbed and feeding.

I spot a elk and I use my scope to confirm if it is a cow or a bull (this is not correct procedure But I know there are NO roads above me and no other hunters so I leave my Binos at the boat less weight =65 = good) then I see more elk and as the fog rises More elk but no bulls I belly crawl to a stump and pop open my Bipod I get a steady rest and start looking at each elk again they have no clue I am there the wind is slight but it is blowing from them to me(never forget that) Once elk smell you the gig is up the climb is for nothing , and you are going home with no elk because they have boogied to parts unknown!

20 to 40 minutes have gone by you are controlling your adrenaline as best you can focus on the elk they are as close as 35 yards and as far as 250 but you keep focused all of a sudden the fog rolls in thick you can not see squat you start to think maybe it is not your day and you are hearing running elk they have spooked for some reason but you know they did not smell you the wind is still right  then as fast as it rolls in the fog rolls out and you see a cow running from left to right about 150 yards in front of you you know the yardage because you used the range finder you bought just for this type of situation and behind the cow is a spike chasing heryou get the scope on him and start to take the slack out of the trigger when poof he is gone behind some brush afraid maybe today is not the day but then behind the spike comes a 5 point bull you were just on the spike so getting the 5 point in the scope is easy and quick he stops for just a second and the gun goes off you see the hit is right behind the shoulder and you fire again on instinct and he is down the hunt is over and the work is just beginning but we will talk about that another day, you give thanks for the animal and you have a feeling of both elation and sorrow yes you got a elk and yes that is why you are there but you see the beauty in the hunt the animal and the nature of it  ,it is a good day and you feel humbled.

Being in the right place at the right time helps also , its called luck . All that you know & have been training for comes down to that right moment . I think I get a Deer opening Morning about 50% of the time & when I go out , I don't come out of the woods till I have one down or its the end of hunting hours for the day .

Just about everyone in camp is back at the cabin by 1000hrs. & go back out around 14-1500 hrs. , its the way they hunt . I hear , its too cold or I'm too old or I didn't see anything , well I have shot a lot of deer from 1100 to 1300 hrs , when they are in camp , they just don't seem to get it  & that's Ok if thats what you hunt for .Myself , I'm there to Harvest Deer , not hang out & drink beer or stay warm .

I must say though , the drinking is almost non existent anymore , the young guys used to go out on the night before opening day of gun season , but all the hang overs the next morning & all of us making fun of them in the morning . Its so much different , all these young ones getting older are only doing lite drinking after hunting hours , now a days , I think they learned something .
 I have gone for Days with out a shot or even seeing a Deer or a shootable one . Its not as easy as most think & a vast expenditure of $$ & time . Very rewarding to me, I just like being there , even if I have to eat my empty tag  & I have about three weeks before I take my trip up north  & can't wait .

Being in the right place at the right time helps also , its called luck . All that you know & have been training for comes down to that right moment . I think I get a Deer opening Morning about 50% of the time & when I go out , I don't come out of the woods till I have one down or its the end of hunting hours for the day .

Just about everyone in camp is back at the cabin by 1000hrs. & go back out around 14-1500 hrs. , its the way they hunt . I hear , its too cold or I'm too old or I didn't see anything , well I have shot a lot of deer from 1100 to 1300 hrs , when they are in camp , they just don't seem to get it  & that's Ok if thats what you hunt for .Myself , I'm there to Harvest Deer , not hang out & drink beer or stay warm .

I must say though , the drinking is almost non existent anymore , the young guys used to go out on the night before opening day of gun season , but all the hang overs the next morning & all of us making fun of them in the morning . Its so much different , all these young ones getting older are only doing lite drinking after hunting hours , now a days , I think they learned something .
 I have gone for Days with out a shot or even seeing a Deer or a shootable one . Its not as easy as most think & a vast expenditure of $$ & time . Very rewarding to me, I just like being there , even if I have to eat my empty tag  & I have about three weeks before I take my trip up north  & can't wait .

it's not about the kill it's about the experience, I'm with you. We're were those young guys too but now days i hardly ever get drunk enough for a hang over period. I have a hard time sitting all day I have circulation problems in my feet and the past few years have been so blasted cold, but that 1000-1400 hour is great especially if your around others that are coming out the woods at that time they're just pushing the deer around and there you sit waiting.

Your information is oh so true excuses are the number one reason many people do not get anything they have a excuse for everything BUT I will politely disagree with one thing you said LUCK IMO there is no such thing you did the work, you put yourself in the right place , you stayed out there when it was cold and miserable you created the means for success, and that was my point in the scenario i wrote out I did the work there are many thing a hunter must learn before he is really ready to hunt it is a mindset, it is the accumulation  of a life time of learning, it is NOT watching a video and buying a gun those types of people they kill stuff once in awhile that is luck!! hunters know where game lives, what it eats , how it reacts to people ,where it sleeps,hunters know the land, the water holes hunters are one with their environment, that is not luck my friend that is dedication to something you love, that is hard work and we are a dying breed kids today just are not dedicated to the woods anymore....

Nice write up Mag, enjoyed reading it. Congrats on a nice elk for the freezer. Just make sure all those smallmouth aren't taking up all the room. Our deer herd is in such bad shape, thinking of passing on the hunt this year. Glad you guys are in better shape that way, even with the wolves. 

Around the house here we are having a big case of blue tongue it is a disease that kills deer they are dropping all over this area but there are a lot of deer and it stops just as suddenly as it starts and is no threat to humans but I still don't like the idea of shooting  deer that may be sick....

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2015/sep/15/drought-related-blue-tongue-outbreak-killing-area-deer/

Edited by Magwa

Your information is oh so true excuses are the number one reason many people do not get anything they have a excuse for everything BUT I will politely disagree with one thing you said LUCK IMO there is no such thing you did the work, you put yourself in the right place , you stayed out there when it was cold and miserable you created the means for success, and that was my point in the scenario i wrote out I did the work there are many thing a hunter must learn before he is really ready to hunt it is a mindset, it is the accumulation  of a life time of learning, it is NOT watching a video and buying a gun those types of people they kill stuff once in awhile that is luck!! hunters know where game lives, what it eats , how it reacts to people ,where it sleeps,hunters know the land, the water holes hunters are one with their environment, that is not luck my friend that is dedication to something you love, that is hard work and we are a dying breed kids today just are not dedicated to the woods anymore....

I know your feelings on Luck , we have been over that before , but where I hunt at , when Gun season opens , you will be lucky to see a Deer during shooting hours , you can call it any way you want , but its just a word , describing what happens , that Elk could have turned around & you may never have got a shot at him , that would have been bad luck .?

I also say your a lucky man , because you don't have a hunter on every ridge around you , you will be using more than your lay of the land to bag a nice deer , Thats a fact .?

Edited by survivalshop