• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Would I steer you wrong?

A few years ago we were one of the first sites to bring you the Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector. While BAD Inc has expanded upon the design several times over, one of the original founders left to make his own path in the AR and SCAR world. Today I bring you Forward Controls Design.

e-mail-signature-logo.jpg

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/

Forward Controls Design's mission is simple: create a better user-centric, form fitting and logical suite of AR and SCAR components that actually have ergonomics as one of the design goals. Often, a simple change in location, shape, or direction of serrations can make a great deal of difference to the way a user interacts with his firearm. 

Formerly a Battle Arms Development partner and co-inventor of the now famous BAD-ASS and BAD-CASS (US patent US 8,806,790 B1) family of AR and M16 safety selectors, and the AR/M16 Enhanced Pins Set (patent pending), I aim to bring forth innovative, well thought out and functionally superior components for the AR and SCAR systems that are ready for combat use from day one, and every day thereafter.

Though Forward Controls Design is a company started in the fall of 2014, I trust most will find the way I run it familiar and comforting. Eschewing conventional wisdom, finding ways to improve something that most deem unimprovable, superb design and execution, exceptional customer service and support, these are among the easily recognizable characteristics with which folks can identify from my days past.

FCD has brought about a sense of grace and style, while adding a bit better function and ergonomics to a 60 year old design. Parts and features that were once ignored by other, larger companies, are now being addressed by FCD and beautifully executed.

FCD first brought to us their redesigned Forward Assist (LDFA and LDFA-Ti) and enhanced Magazine release buttons (EMR and EMR-C). These were simple replacements that expanded on features the original design lacked.

ldfa1.jpgldfa-ti1.jpg

EMR%20and%20C.jpg

Aside from extremely attractive cosmetics, and meticulous precise machining, they also functioned extremely well.

I recently got word from The Man himself.... The next generation of product is now available! The Augmented Bolt Catch/Release is now available for the AR15 series rifles and pistols. The enhancement of this product is nothing new. We've all come to hate the design of the original paddle catch/release. Many of us going through several variations of replacements, looking for that appropriate fit, without losing the training that we embedded into our shooting. While this current model is not intended for the .308AR type rifle (your results may vary... good luck!) there is talk about getting started on production to accommodate the larger format rifle.

So how much different is it???

ABCR1.jpgABCR2.jpg

abcrcomp.jpg

ABC/R (Augmented Bolt Catch/Release) with its angled and larger top paddle and lower paddle with increased surface area, is purpose designed for use with AR15/M16 receivers equipped with ambidextrous magazine releases. Specifically, it is designed to address the difficulty with accessing the factory bolt catch's lower paddle with an ambidextrous magazine catch, such as Norgon's Ambi-Catch, on the receiver. Many of the ambidextrous mag release's lower paddle is on the same vertical plane as the factory bolt catch lower paddle, making identification difficult by feel, especially with a gloved hand. 

The ABC/R's chief effort is focused on that single issue. The lower paddle protrudes further, and is angled at 10 degree to give it even more surface area. These measures put the lower paddle and Ambi-Catch's paddle on different vertical planes. That done, we worked on the top paddle. While we don't use it ourselves, preferring to pull back on the charging handle instead to load and reload, we do recognize far more users use it, so the ABC/R's top paddle is made larger, and given a 5 degree angle at the lower 50%, and 10 degree angle at the upper 50% cant. The angled paddle makes it easier for the palm or thumb to access. 

The notch immediately above the ABC/R’s lower paddle isn’t there by accident. As you run your finger down the bolt catch towards the lower paddle, the notch is meant to provide tactile feedback to indicate the beginning of the lower paddle. It is important be able to differentiate one control surface from another, all without diverting one's gaze to it. The ABC/R's weight (0.445 oz) has been kept close to that of the factory bolt catch (0.401 oz) to avoid over tasking the spring. 

Machined from billet 7-7 stainless steel, available in Melonite coated finish or raw, bead blasted stainless steel, the ABC/R is proudly designed and made in the US.

I don't know if I could explain it any better myself. More surface/real estate = better control and function.... All without sacrificing additional "snagging" on gear and environment. I don't know how many of you are using the Norgon or Troy ambi mag release, but this is part of the answer you were looking for. Gloves on, or bare handed, no more guessing where that finger is. Find it, recognize it, and engage it. It's that simple. 

You guys know me. I don't just talk about this shiit.... I use it! I'm installing two of these post haste. I will use one plain vanilla and the other with a Tactical Link "Enhanced Battery Assist Lever" attached to it. I have a few different uppers I'll check clearances on as well... Billet, forged and caste!

Check them out. Drop our name if/when you order. I didn't lie to you about the BAD-ASS... I didn't lie to you about the TacOps-1...

e-mail-signature-logo.jpg

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/

Stay tuned... more to come!!!

Thank you Rob!  I look forward to being a part of the forum again.  I've been keeping a low profile since I left, mostly because my new company either didn't have products to offer yet, or they were always out of stock.  Now everything we have in production is back in stock and we're moving to get more projects off the ground, Drew and Rob have kindly allowed me an official presence.

Thank you guys, I can't tell you how much I've missed the action :)

I sure hope you get a 308 bolt catch out that is compatible with the Matrix lower. several of us here got in on a screaming deal from Chris Reiderman on those upper and lower sets. I have two and I WANT one of your bolt catches in them!

I'll be in on one of those bolt catches for my Matrix build as well, not sure why that Matrix setup has to be so different........

I have a similar designed bolt catch on my Sig P716 and PM400 from the factory and just love them.

Edited by jtallen83
clarity, I hope.

We're working on a low profile ambidextrous mag catch as well.  The ABC/R was designed around the Norgon Ambi-Catch that has more lateral protrusion than a factory bolt catch, the EMR-A (ambi) will not need a purpose designed bolt catch to make the lower paddle more accessible.

The ABC/R works better than a factory bolt catch even if there's no ambi mag catch installed.  Those of you guys with AR15s can try the ABC/R now ;)  If you order directly from our site, please make sure and mention 308ar.com :D

Military, LE, first responders (past or present), please email me for a discount code roger@starsforward.com

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com

• 1 year later...

Rob, we've been quietly and slowly expanding.  In the first couple of years, we've had the LDFA, EMR, EMR-C and ABC/R, it was taking a long time to get new things to market, though we have half a dozen designs ready to go.  When we finally found a reliable shop to make things to our standards, it was go time.

This year alone we have doubled our product offering (not counting products designed and manufactured by others), and we still have two more to come by December. 

I'm not in a hurry to expand anyway, but was trying to get some of the designs made (like the 6315 flash suppressor, and EMR-A ambi mag catch), which we did this year.

For 308 ARs, we have ABC/R v2 (7.62mm), EMR-C, and EMR-A.  The little gadget Sling Keep works on any platform :)

Sling Keep:

sk3_zpsw7yjprsr.jpg

EMR-A and ABC/R v2:

IMG_2451_zpst7sa4jb7.jpg

Our 5.56mm upper receiver and 5.56mm BCG will be the last new products for the year.  I put the brake on new products, we have too many finished designs we need to get made first ;)

We offer 15% discounts to active and retire military, law enforcement, and first responders.  We used to do 10%, but 15% is a more meaningful discount. 

Please email me roger@forwardcontrolsdesign.com for the codes :)

I was chatting with Drew last night, I'd like to make a come back to this forum now that we have more 308 AR gear to warrant a presence :)

On 10/10/2017 at 5:53 PM, Duffy said:

I was chatting with Drew last night, I'd like to make a come back to this forum now that we have more 308 AR gear to warrant a presence :)

ROGER!!!   Man, you have no idea how much I've missed you...   :thumbup:

I'm pretty damn happy to see your presence...  :banana:

Maybe!  2014 was the year I left the old company to start my own (in September).

I don't go to SHOT anymore, it's a poor use of time and resources for a company of my size.  The only good part was meeting folks I haven't seen in a long time, but that's something phones can mostly do :)