• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for M1 Garand

NTXshooter

OK NTX , what do TE & ME stand for ?    

Its a tough question , depends what M1 your looking at , a new one , Arsenal refit , or  a CMP one . I have heard , just a rumor , that the ones coming out of the CMP are pretty rough , all the real nice ones are gone , but I have heard of some getting real nice ones , hard to say. If you want one from a Dealer ,  get some of the Gages for servicing an M1 to check it , there are a few different ones ,(  I don't have any but the Barrel erosion gage & I want to get the rest  ) or you can have a competent Gunsmith look at it .

If we get a REP. in POTUS the Deal with South Korea is one worth waiting for , there are a lot of Arsenal refit M1's that already have a release & proper permitting to be imported , but the Commie in Office has put a stop on the importation of" Assault rifles ". Could be patient & come off with a very good M1 , hell , you have waited this long already . If Hitlory gets it go out & get one Quickly?

Back ( this is going to make you scream inside ) when I was an FFL in Ohio , I got a deal on five or more of South Korean Arsenal refit M1's for 179.99 each  & I still have one . All had Birch Stocks , new WWII Barrels & all looked Brand New . I even Hunted with mine in West Virginia & shot a seven point with it , Stoned him .

I now have a Boyd's Wallnut Stock on her & it is beautiful with the pure linseed oil .

I've been watching them on gunbroker.  There are a lot of CMP and a lot of WWII rifles with early 50's barrels.  The prices are around $1,200.00 give or take.  Stocks are usually pretty rough but the metal parts seem to be in pretty good shape.  To me, as long as it shoots good, I think I would prefer the used look.

If you really want a Garand (and who wouldn't?), go through the CMP. Go to their website, follow the directions on what makes you elegible. You have to be a member of an affiliated club (there are lots of them), show proof of either sanctioned competition or training in the last year or two, get fingerprinted and pass the background test.

Ordering an M1 from them is luck of the draw. Some of them are jewels, some are diamonds in the rough. All will be good to go. CMP no longer allows you to choose which of the four manufacturers you'd like (SA, IHC, HRA, WIN), you just get what they send. You can also ask for a genuine GI stock, but you'll get whatever they send.

Go for it.

My son bought a couple of CMP M-1's a few years back, and yes, they are pretty rough.  But they were inexpensive.  He bought, as I remember, two different grades.  I think it was about $750 or so for the two of them.  Both function perfectly, although the barrels are worn enough that they are not the most accurate rifles around.  Still, we each have one in our respective gun safes.  Nostalgia pours out when I open the safe.  I'm about the same age as those rifles.

Depends what you want.  You ain't gonna get National Match from a CMP rack grade rifle.  I don't know what the situation is so far as replacement parts and expense is concerned.  Also, check the web, as there are a fair number of organizations around dedicated to M-1 ownership.  Nice ones are available, but not inexpensive.

Got lucky and found a Veteran that was looking to sell,instead I offered a for an AR which he accepted.Aside from going through a shooting club you can join the Garand collectors asscociation http://thegca.org/ this will allow you to buy from CMP.I got a 1942 American fork and hoe bayonet for the Garand there.Keep looking at Gunbroker and once in a while one will pop up in the $900.00 range.There is http://m1garandrifle.com/ ,http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx and a few more.the barrel on mine is 11/55 and my birthdate is 10/55 it was just ment to be.I will eventually get one from Fulton Armory as they have the best deal for what I want in a new Garand.Just my 2 clips.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh man!  That appears to be a real beaut!

Appears to be.  I may be the only person here that can see that potentially fatal flaw in your rifle.  Send it to me and I'll get it properly disposed and we can all forget how you nearly got hurt.

Seriously though, nice score NTX!

JT, being that it was born in mid '43, I bet could tell some tales.

SS,  I did look up the serial number and that is what I came up with.  Actually, I think the tag that they attached to it said "June 43".

Plane, I really appreciate your offer but I couldn't live with myself if I sent a "flawed" rifle to you and you got hurt disposing of it.  I'll just have to man up and "dispose of it myself.  I think a few thousand round through it should do the trick.

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

If you want that M1 refurbished give Lance a call. After I tear it down and sand blast it reblue it ,reassemble it I will only shoot two rounds through it . lol ! 

Just speculation, you understand, but did you "accidentally" leave a couple-three zero's off of that "two"?  No accusation, just askin'........:lmao:

2 hours ago, slugger43 said:

Just speculation, you understand, but did you "accidentally" leave a couple-three zero's off of that "two"?  No accusation, just askin'........:lmao:

Seriously, no ... Just a couple down the shoot tube.

Its way too hot to go outside and shoot !