• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Got my big buck home this week from taxidermist

Hoff

I picked my booner up this week. Taxidermist did a great job on him, and I had him back in 5 months which is pretty fast! I am very happy with the results, Animal Arts Taxidermy out of

Campbellsport WI Is awesome! IMG_1593.JPG

4 minutes ago, Hoff said:

I picked my booner up this week. Taxidermist did a great job on him, and I had him back in 5 months which is pretty fast! I am very happy with the results, Animal Arts Taxidermy out of

Campbellsport WI Is awesome! IMG_1593.JPG

Looks great, that is fast turn around!!

Thank you gentlemen! I need to pick up two frames next week so I can put up his award and score sheet. My coworkers machined for me a nice stand for my 9 pointer too, I will post a pic tomorrow or monday when I can take a nice pic of it.

Ok so I hunt with my family on public land by Thorp WI. There are a lot of wolves, and hunters too though with the deer population decline not so many hunters anymore like 20 years ago. Now we hunt the old way, a mix of sit on a log and wait, as well as track/spot and stalk, and some afternoon deer drives. We hunt no private property, the same public land for 60 years, and use no blinds or treestands.

So I get my brand new RRA LAR8 predator HP, three days before gun opener. I was jacked! sighted it in the morning before opening day. 3/4" at a hundred with factory ammo.  There was a back corner of a 300 acre 3 year old clearcut (6-10 foot trees) where it transitions to older woods and I had sat in this spot the previous year and liked it. They left a few 6-10 foot wide, ancient pines when they cut it.

I trek out to my pine and sit down on the roots, and settle in feeling like rambo with my new AR10 hahaha. The wind is to my back/tree. I light a cigarette after an hour, and as i'm looking around i never heard him but I look to my right and see a rack bobbing through the clearcut. It is really thick so I thought he was like a nice six pointer or something. I stood, turned, and rested on my big pine and when he stepped out of the thick he was quartering slightly away at 70 yards. 1 shot, double lung with a big hole and he still went 120 yards. Never seen that much blood from any deer. I am glad I never got a good look at how big the rack was till he was down, or i'd have shat my pants and missed hahaha!  7:05 AM opening day and I shot a real dandy. It has continued to be an amazing experience!

When I got him home I measured the rack, and called a boone and crockett measurer named Mark Miller. He scored the rack at 167 2/8 inches gross, and 165 2/8 inches net. Only 2 inches of deductions is rare on a booner, he is very symmetrical. 9 6/8 inch brow tines, 26 inch main beams, and a 21 6/8 inch inside spread what a dream buck on public land! He made the 30th triennial B&C awards 2016-2018 and will be in the record book. Call me a dork but i'm buying a copy. Mark has scored for B&C and P&Y for many years and never scored an 8 pointer that actually made B&C with it's 160 inch minimum.

Its been amazing. I hunt for meat, to just be out where I belong, and fellowship with my family. I am not a trophy hunter, but to take a buck like him on public land swarming with wolves that's a good hunt.

IMG_1463.JPG

Thanks man, we have got some nice deer over the years up there, but nothing close to him. With the gun i'm a purist, hunting with the old methods. I have done it that way (very successfully for my freezer) for 23 years its all i know. I like to walk around with my 30-30 all day. And now the AR10!!!

With the bow is different. Feeders are illegal here, but some areas here you can have a pile of bait no bigger than 2 gallons. With bow I sit in a treestand. I usually dont, but I have used bait bowhunting. I use a treestand, hunt mostly private land, bow hunting is my super fun grocery shopping Lol. But i'm not a purist bowhunting, not yet. Maybe when I have time to build a longbow......

Edited by Hoff

I hunt just north and west of you in Ashland county forest near park falls. I hear you on the wolves they're terrible.....

again in beautiful deer, that's a diamond in the ruff for sure up there, he musta had a good food source 

I did not, but he was old, yet still huge and strong. If I had to guess I would say 6+ though. Clark county grows some really great bucks being kind of on the west side of the state. The mineral content out there is very good, promoting good antler growth. Most booners come out of the far west and south west counties where mineral content is extraordinary. Those counties have so many record book bucks, with both the minerals, food sources, and genetics. Wisconsin is really an amazing place to be a deer hunter or a fisherman as you know well!

I just started bowhunting a couple years ago, and last year I got my first buck with the bow. He was a 9 pointer, and field dressed at 230 lbs. The boys at work machined me a nice little stand for him from a brass block and some brass rod. I do need to polish it a bit more though.

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great story Hoff and a big congratulations on the fine buck you took and that other one as well. I am up in Bayfield County, and we are really struggling right now with our deer population.Shepp and Hoff, don't know if you are familiar with CDAC's (County Deer Advisory Councils) but you might have heard about the brouhaha down state in that one county with them. Too bad I have met those guys and they are trying to do a good job. Any way, you might want to track what they are doing in the county you hunt in. If you want to know more, go on the Wisconsin Conservation Congress website. You can also access harvest numbers for any county in the state through it. Hoff you are right, we live in a great state to hunt and fish in. And hunters and fishermen are still respected by the large majority of the population. Don't get me started on the CWD fiasco.

Congratulations Unforgiven! That is awesome HS is a great time in a young boy's life, and it leaves lasting memories and saves who knows how many lives. Sisco, damn Lol Bayfield county you are way the hell up there. Beautiful country! Yeah I am rooting for you folks up there that the deer population rebounds. someday? I am 30 minutes north of milwaukee and I bowhunt in hartford, so the deer down here where I bowhunt are very abundant. Up where I gun hunt (Thorp), way less deer. Still alot more than in Bayfield county though, I know for a year or several y'all have been buck only? Hope it gets better. The CDAC is doing good work, and the DNR is trying like hell to fix the herd. But yeah WI is truly still the whitetail paradise of all it is the best!

Watching these kids come in with their parents/gardians for HS shows they are there because they fly straight.That is what's right with America.Something the media will not show the populace.I'm just an old dog that want's to give back.Thanks brother Hoff.

My main thing is safety,primarily fall protection.I see these cheseey setups with 3/16" paracord and it makes me cringe.I have spent alot of time in the air and a full harness with a 5/8" lifeline and rope grab is the way to go.The average man that falls generate's about 6000 psi of pull on that rope.3/16" will snap.Had a tinner fall out his stand and crawled to the road for help.He lived,got a box of screws in him.Ain't gonna last long in the trade,and getting old is gonna hurt like hell....more than it does normally.