• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Much?

So I finally took "Sheila" out to the range this past Sat for the first time since finishing the build. Lubed her up until she was dripping wet. I tested the adjustable gas block odin works. As much as I can until the bolt finally catches on the catch with an empty mag. Of course shooting 1 round at a time. Of course I have a feeding problem. I've read all the diagnosis here on the forums. I've written everything down to fix the feeding issue one at a time. And I will get this feeding issue fixed. but its not what I am here for. Yet....:embarrassed:

when I started shooting "Sheila" I've noticed that maybe 1-2 rounds (ejected) the neck where the lead sits is ripped down to the casing body, not by much but very noticeable . I should have taken a picture but unfortunately forgot. I took a pic marked with a marker where the tear would be. Then jams on the 4th round. Also should have taken a picture of it jammed. When it jams on the 3rd or 4th round. It looks like Its trying to eject the empty cartridge and chamber a round but gets stuck with the empty round above the new round. Too much gas maybe? I don't know.

Anyway. I was at Sportsman warehouse and spoke to a gentleman about it. Said it was a gas issue. Then passed me to another gentleman who has a little more experience. He also said the same thing. Both said I have gassed it too much. Is there such a thing? Too much gas? This is what the 2nd gentleman with the experience said:

"Yeah, it sounds like a gassing problem if you have an adjustable gas block. But also check everything else. Sure does sound like a gas issue. Not enough gas your bolt don't stay open. Too much gas its gassing the bolt hard/fast enough to try and eject the round and at the same time chamber a new round which may be causing the rifle to jam and the neck on the casing to rip. Also maybe the round you're shooting is a slower burning powder" (PPU 168gr.)
(Somewhere along those lines)

Wednesday I will diagnose my jamming issue. Here is a list: Please feel free to input anything I have not listed here.

1. Adjust Gas block/Lube
2. check for loose screws.
3. Try different brand and grain rounds
4. Steel mag instead of PMAG
5. Buffer/Spring
6. BCG

Please see attached pic

20160530_113522.jpeg

"Overgassed" is the first thing most "experts" say is the problem. It is an almost meaningless gesture without having more information.

My first suggestion is make sure you are using quality ammo. Get some Federal Gold Medal Match 168 BTHP. Adjust your gas block as per it's instructions. They probably say something like "screw the adjustment screw all the way in, then back it out 1 1/2 turns." Load single round, shoot, adjust screw out until bcg locks back. Then begin loading two rounds to ensure cycling. If you cannot get it to cycle under those conditions, then it is not the gas system (unless the gas block is mis-aligned). Begin checking other systems, and MAKE ONE AND ONLY ONE CHANGE AT A TIME!!! Be patient. You'll eventually find the problem if you systematically check each system one component at a time.

On May 30, 2016 at 4:14 PM, CrashOverRide.308 said:

when I started shooting "Sheila" I've noticed that maybe 1-2 rounds (ejected) the neck where the lead sits is ripped down to the casing body, not by much but very noticeable 

Are you talking about a Dent or its ripping it off ?

It looks like Its trying to eject the empty cartridge and chamber a round but gets stuck with the empty round above the new round. Too much gas maybe? I don't know.

Sounds like an Extractor or Ejector issue , Disassemble , clean & inspect for Burr's , also

Edited by survivalshop

2 hours ago, washguy said:

Did You ever get the correct buffer/spring installed in the rifle?    Wash

2 hours ago, washguy said:

Yes sir I did.

Correct count as well on the coil spring (28). But the chart on heavybuffers.com says 38 coil count not 28?

I mean i have both so I will try both at the range tomorrow.

13 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Its ripped not dented.

I will check the extractor and and ejector. Thank you

Have any photo's of the Brass that's ripped ?    You have some major issue if you are ripping the spent Brass case, I've never heard or seen one do that , the only thing I can think of is the spent brass is being re-fed & catching on something , but that's really out of the ordinary & an extreme condition. Need to see what the brass looks like . 

13 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Yes sir I did.

Correct count as well on the coil spring (28). But the chart on heavybuffers.com says 38 coil count not 28?

I mean i have both so I will try both at the range tomorrow.

Something doesn't sound right with that info .

Change ammo. It's pressure not gas. I used to split the neck on some hot .44 mag reloads.

Chuck a chamber brush into a power drill. Then spin that SOB in there for about 1/2 minute to a full minute. That should loosen up and clear out the chamber for easier cycling. 

Try to hand cycle a full magazine. No firing, just rack-rack-rack-rack-etc. Any snags? Chamber ok? 

He said its ripped , not split , I need to have a visual on what it is . Looks like he used a marker to out line the ripped section , in the one photo of the loaded round , above. Kinda scary thinking your fired case has this issue . 

Split case could be a Head Spacing issue, if thats what the Crash is referring to, but a ripped case is something different altogether . ?

Edited by survivalshop

On 5/31/2016 at 1:25 PM, washguy said:

I'm going along with Wash

Go to David Tubb's web site watch his videos specially the one on the one promoting the flat wire buffer springs. David Tubb is the real thing in high power rifle as far as I am concerned. His AR10 LR308 flat wire spring has 42 coils. And is less than $30.

I have one on order (has shipped) 

YES, I will report on it,as compared to the original spring in my factory original DPMS LR308 Oracle. I have no dog in this issue except the facts.

Ok. I went shooting again today. It took the winchester 150gr better than the PPU. But now I the brass isnt being ripped. Also noticed that the ejector isnt working so good. When it doesnt eject the wmpty shell is slightly ehected half way out of the barrel sometimes and picks up a new round. I havent made any changes yet. Thought I kill 2 hours at the range before work. I do have pictures now. 

20160602_112358.jpg

Crash   you still have not addressed your buffer/spring/tube in your rifle as for as I know..last time you posted was that you got some primary arms system buffer spring.....

if  your $hit doesnt look like this AND its not an Armalite system you got squat...post up pics of what you got...and measure the inside length of your buffer tube for God's sakes...and ppu 168 grain ammo is perfect for all and I mean all of my 308's......and I would like to see a pic of your hammer spring installed so we can make sure you dont have it installed backwards...and to top it all off you named your rifle Shelia...thats fitting for a fouled up rifle...every Shelia ive ever known was a non workable nut case        :bitchslap::bitchslap::bitchslap:     Wash

20160301_181822.jpg20160301_181851.jpg20160301_181806.jpg

Edited by washguy

On Friday, June 03, 2016 at 4:11 PM, washguy said:

Crash   you still have not addressed your buffer/spring/tube in your rifle as for as I know..last time you posted was that you got some primary arms system buffer spring.....

if  your $hit doesnt look like this AND its not an Armalite system you got squat...post up pics of what you got...and measure the inside length of your buffer tube for God's sakes...and ppu 168 grain ammo is perfect for all and I mean all of my 308's......and I would like to see a pic of your hammer spring installed so we can make sure you dont have it installed backwards...and to top it all off you named your rifle Shelia...thats fitting for a fouled up rifle...every Shelia ive ever known was a non workable nut case        :bitchslap::bitchslap::bitchslap:     Wash

20160301_181822.jpg20160301_181851.jpg20160301_181806.jpg

Here you go Wash:

20160606_000840.jpg

On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 5:05 AM, washguy said:

Crash.   Spring is the right one:thumbup:

Buffer?    Inside measurement of buffer tube?      Wash

Awesome.

Thank You sir. I will load the measurement of the buffer as soon as I can. Its not letting me upload it. Photobucket is also down for maintenance to try and make the picture smaller to load up on here.

14 hours ago, CrashOverRide.308 said:

Unfortunately all the pics I want to upload is too big. Will upload after work.

FYI there is a super FREE program available to easily fix too-large photos, and you can do a whole group at one time.  Download "fotosizer".