• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BIGBREW 308 BUILD

BIGBREW

Couple things. Thanks DWILSONMFG.COM  for getting this bolt here quick. Just need a barrel at this point. Bought the carrier months ago. 

Never installed a gas block after the hand guard before. I'm going to use a slim 16.5 on a 20" rifle length .936. Hand guard won't turn on the threads with block on. Any advise to installing this way?

I'm hoping it goes in this easy 

20170128_234723.jpg

20170128_234057.jpg

20170128_235610.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, BIGBREW said:

Never installed a gas block after the hand guard before. I'm going to use a slim 16.5 on a 20" rifle length .936. Hand guard won't turn on the threads with block on. Any advise to installing this way?

Yeah, take the rail off.  Might seem like more work, but it's gonna be ALOT easier in the long run.

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Yeah, take the rail off.  Might seem like more work, but it's gonna be ALOT easier in the long run.

No way the rail is going to turn around the block. Not enough clearance. 

Can't be impossible. Anyone got any tricks to making sure the gas hole lines up at the top of the barrel? 

I'm sure I can slide the block on the barrel and mark where the set screws should be. Install the guard and aim for those marks when I slide the block on.  

Edited by BIGBREW

Getting down to the last of small parts. Still waiting on a barrel. Paint should be here Friday.  I'm a little surprised it isn't getting here faster with $15 for shipping but oh well. 

Still need a block for the upper and haven't made a decision yet, really with there was a clam (taking suggestions). 

Maybe start assembly in a couple weeks. These came today. They may get painted too. 

20170207_172030.jpg

Big  so even the troy micro .936 wont clear the inside of the rail?     https://bloodandbrass.com/products/troy-936-gas-block?variant=36337673351

or one of these     http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/micro-936-gas-block-prod54725.aspx

http://www.jsesurplus.com/.937MICROGASBLOCKBLACKNITRIDE.aspx

You stated you don't have the barrel in yet....is it on its way...if not why do you want the .936 ?   Is a .750 not enough for you?   just wondering...lol          Wash

1 hour ago, BIGBREW said:

Big   So is there no hope of me talking you out of that barrel? Is it a must have do or die kinda thing? or is there some room for discussing?     Wash

I would like to see more of the way this HG attaches & how long is it ? If its only 12" or so , the Gas Block can be installed afterwards , because the HG will not cover the Gas Block .

My 20" HB ( Kreiger/Criterion Match BBL. with 0.936" GB ) has a early Fulton Armory ( I think made by JP ) on it & it is a rather large diameter , but I can take the GB off any time ,because it is outside the HG .I believe the GB has to be removed to take the HG off . Its been on there for so long , I forget .

Never seen a screw on HG that would not clear a Micro Gas Block , but ya never know , all kinds out there any more .

LH1525.JPG

4 hours ago, BIGBREW said:

My dad and I are building this together. He was buying the barrel so I was trying to find one at a reasonable price. He's retired and has a fixed income. I'm not that worried about getting the gas block on. My handguard is 16.5"

Big     its a kewl thing that yall are building together....Im just trying to talk yall out of a 20" bull barrel that will be a pig to carry and not much fun at all. .there are barrels in the price range that will prolly out shoot this no name heavy azz barrel that's all im saying. Have you ever held or shot a 20" bull barrel ar 308 before? If you want us to help you out just shout out...otherwise carry on           Wash

3 hours ago, BIGBREW said:

Wash part of my decisions are based on the rules I have to follow in NY. 

Big....what are the NY laws regarding your building an ar308?         Wash

so the stock has to be like this?    https://www.dark-storm.com/parts/stocks-buffer/nys-compliant-stocks/thordsen-frs15-featureless-stock-with-standard-buffer-tube-cover-blk/

or somewhat like it?      or this fde one?   http://thousandislandsarmory.com/frs-15-standard-stock-kit-fde/

but I see no restrictions on journal size ( ie  .936 )   no threads for muzzle device okay I see that

whats going to happen with the brute weight of a bull barrel and 20 inches hanging out there...and you having a  retarded no pistol grip stock is that the rifle is going to be so front heavy/unbalanced ...it will make for nothing more than a bi pod  paper puncher and prolly a not very good one at that....  think light shorter barrel is all im saying

Edited by washguy