• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally put together my LR308

unclemoak

In the past few weeks, I've been getting into reloading, so this evening I was setting up some load development to figure out what the gun likes.

I noticed initially when shooting the surplus ammo in past weeks, the gun wasn't grouping particularly well, but I chalked it up to it being surplus ammo and didn't think anything of it. 

When I was shooting my reloads today, I figured for the hell of it I would test a string with and another without the suppressor I made. Much to my surprise, the gun still doesn't shoot that well un-suppressed, but does seem to shoot pretty well suppressed, especially with 42.5gr of powder. 

I'm really scratching my head as to first why the gun is so in-accurate, and second, how my Form 1 can managed to increase accuracy......

Reloads 
  • Lake city brass (full length re-sized)
  • CCI 200 Primers
  • IMR 4064 Powder (41-43grs in 0.5gr steps)
  • 175gr SMKs
  • 2.80 COAL

The gun
  • CMMG 1:10 twist barrel
  • My own bolt
  • Form 1 can (that apparently contains unicorn dust)

Un-suppressed
Photo%20Aug%2031%206%2026%2046%20PM.jpg

Suppressed
Photo%20Aug%2031%206%2026%2056%20PM.jpg

Edited by unclemoak

There are people on here that know a lot more about this stuff than I do but it looks like both sets of groups are opening up as the powder charge/velocity goes up.  You might try a different powder.  I ran a group of reloads ranging from 41 to 44.5 gns of Varget through my .308 bolt gun and everyone shot at or below to moa.  That is better than the rifle has ever done before.

Not only Powder , but , Bullet & Primer . I use mostly use CCI Primers , some Barrels may not like 175's or the brand of them , try Hornadys , even though SMK are as good as you can get in my book , but you never know . Also try 168 gr. Bullets , you never know until you try them & as said a different powder . I have also gotten good results with Fed. Primers with 4064 , it may take a lot of work to get the right combo & also the barrel may take a while to season up . 

Not unusual for added Can to print better groups . I look up my Chronograph results & grouping for 4064 with 175"s

Edited by survivalshop

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2016 at 10:17 PM, unclemoak said:

After a few months of toying around with building a personal LR308, I finally have it 95% done, just waiting on the Nightforce fairy to come bring me a present.

Aero M5 receiver set
KAC URX 3.1 rail
CMMG 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system 
SLR gas block
Magpul MBUS Pros with the LR rear
One of the Nitride and NiB BCG that I manufacture
Geiselle SSA-E
KAC MAMS break (probably switch to a Griffin taper mount)
KAC 30mm scope mount
Some standard Magpul furniture

20160611_105041_1.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2014%204%2059%2023%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2018%208%2030%2040%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2018%208%2028%2059%20PM.jpg

Which magpul buttstock is that?