• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PWS Mk2 Series .308's???

I have a mk214, ordered in march, took ten days to get it. I took it out of the box, swapped the irons from magpul buis to troy tritiums and went to the range. I did a break in and by the end of the day I was getting rapid fire mag dumps at 50 yds with the irons in 3" groups, no ff or misfeeds. Since I have put about 200 rds through with no failures, and can get 1 1/2 " grps at100 yds with the irons. Its a fantastic piece, and I will put a red dot on it sooner or later, and that will get a better group still. I would bet with a scope it would easily be sub moa 

• 2 years later...

I've been able to pull off 3/4in groups with my Mk216 with a few different 168gr loads using a 4x scope. That was when I was sighting it in for Elk last year. Most of my shooting with it has been more fast paced multiple target type shooting. I haven't had a single failure with it of any kind, even with DPMS mags and I'm putting good consistent groups at center mass with it. The thing I've been most impressed with it is the lack of recoil. It just feels really smooth and easy run. I just wish It came with a slightly better trigger. I changed mine out to an LWRC enhanced group that I had on hand but will eventually be putting an SSA or some other trigger in it.

9735408693_1854fd1e95_c.jpg

Left to right is my wife's 5.56 Mk114, my 300blk Mk116 on a noveske gen2 lower, and my Mk216. I originally had the acs-l on the Mk216 when I painted it but then ended up needing the larue RISR so I switched the stocks around and haven't had a chance to repaint the 308 or paint the others. I also swapped flash hiders between my 300 and 308 to make the side blast a little more tolerable for friends that I shoot with. I actually really like the triad on the 308. The FSC on the 300blk will be getting changed back to a triad in the near future. The suppressors we are building for all 3 won't need a special mount and will be made to work with these existing flash hiders.

As far as the AFG, I am not sure if it will stay on there. It's a love hate kind of thing with that.

I don't have any better pics of my 308 right now and can't find the ones I took when I did the paint on it. I'll get some better ones once I have time to finish painting.

I'm a PWS whore. Can you tell???

Edited by Boerboel guy

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been able to pull off 1.5" groups with my MK216, but that could be me or the ammo. I'm looking for some FGMM/118LR 175gr to see what that'll get me. So far I've only used the CBC 168gr "sniper" ammo and the CBC M80 ball. 

BTW don't buy the CBC M80 ball. I can't get through 10rnds of that stuff without a failure. That stuff is loaded too hot. I've been getting a lot of popped primers with it and some of it caused my firing pin retaining pin to get bent which caused more malfunctions.

How about GMM ? I printed a decent group of an inch with five shots at 100 with a red dot on mine. I'm happy with this, especially knowing this is a battle type rifle. When poop needs to be tight, I grab the LaRue

Haven't been able to get my hands on any. Not interested in paying $2/rnd for them.

Haven't been able to get my hands on any. Not interested in paying $2/rnd for them.

$2/round? Where are you getting them from? Sportsman's Warehouse and Dicks (168gr only) have it for $27.99 ...

I managed to build up a small stash of 175gr FGMM   :)

Also keep an eye out for Federal XM80C @ a little under $17 a box (yes under $1/round). Very consistent groups for cheapo factory ammo, and they seem to be turning up in spades everywhere (even Bass Pro)

TBH, I'm surprised how consistent Federal ammo is... even the mid priced Federal American Eagles shoot consistent groups.

-S

Edited by shibiwan

$2/round? Where are you getting them from? Sportsman's Warehouse and Dicks (168gr only) have it for $27.99 ...

I managed to build up a small stash of 175gr FGMM   :)

Also keep an eye out for Federal XM80C @ a little under $17 a box (yes under $1/round). Very consistent groups for cheapo factory ammo, and they seem to be turning up in spades everywhere (even Bass Pro)

TBH, I'm surprised how consistent Federal ammo is... even the mid priced Federal American Eagles shoot consistent groups.

-S

Everywhere I've looked online is sold out of the 175gr FGMM. Not many sporting goods or white box stores in CA carry ammo. There some for sale on various forums, but they all want ridiculous prices for them.

No way am I paying close to $1/rnd for surplus M80 ball ammo. Maybe $0.65/rnd (including shipping). 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've got a SD-E trigger in my mk216 now and one of Slash's XH Carbine anti tilt buffers on the way. I'm excited to see how it does with those mods next time I get a chance to go shooting. I've been neglecting it lately since I converted my 300blk to a 556 but I just got some PRVI 168gr to test and a good size can of M80 to play with.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the XH buffer. I run an H3 in mine and wonder if the XH will feel sluggish.

BTW, due to PWS' EBT design you shouldn't need the anti-tilt version.

So you know when you are looking all over your house for your truck keys or sunglasses and you can't find them anywhere? And then your wife calls you something mildly derogatory and points to the counter right in front of you, where you have looked like 9 times??? That happened ok. :)

I know it didn't need the anti tilt, but due to my lack of seeing things directly in front of my face I didn't see the standard XH Carbine buffer as being the same weight. I was thinking the XH was 5.5oz and the anti tilt was 6.5oz. I wanted it as heavy as possible without moving over to a rifle stock.

It wasn't until a few days later I opened my freaking eyes and saw the weight was the same. Oh well, no big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I really like how the rifle shoots with the heavier buffer in it but I really wish I had seen the XH that wasn't anti tilt. I'm really not liking having to get a tool out to separate my upper/lower. It isn't even as simple as pulling both pins to separate it, I have to pull both pins and then use a thin knife or screwdriver to push the buffer back into the tube and out of the carrier enough for it to come apart. Damn my lack of looking harder before ordering :) whoops.

I'll probably be ordering a standard XH carbine buffer sometime soon and hanging this one off my safe door as a reminder to pay better attention.

It really did make a noticeable difference in the recoil and sight recovery time. A definite improvement over the one the rifle shipped with.

• 9 months later...