• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.260 Remington AR

ARTrooper

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a charging handle, bcg, and barrel assembly. 

not going to spend more than $25 on a charging handle, so not to worried about that. planning on getting  an ACME nickel boron bcg if they ever com back in stock, since they are listed at $108. and looking at a McGowen custom barrel since I could get one for $250 at 16 inches. I've seen mixed reviews on the McGowen barrels and I have no experience with them, but it is the cheapest route custom that I have found, and I haven't found any factory barrels that are 16 inches. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 11:10 AM, ARTrooper said:

I would like a precision match gun chambered in .260 remington with a collapsible stock, 15 in free floating for end, and a stainless steel bull barrel 16-20 inches in length depending on the weight of the rest of the firearm to try and create a good balancing point. I do not have the time to build my own rifle and below is what some of the local builders have told me.

"The AR series in 260rem is problematic and takes a lot time to get working correctly. We can build and get it to work right but not without careful selecting the perfect parts. This makes the research and labor costs higher.

1. The bolt is a simple 308 bolt but the 260 has very different characteristics.                                     
      A. It can puddle primers                                                                                                                                                      
      B. It stretches brass casings which makes it harder to extract.
      C. The bolt has to have a to have totally flat face with no recess as the shell may bounce  when fired.

2. The barrel needs to be at least 20 inches or more long in order to make the gas system work right. 
      A. this caliber was designed in a bolt action not a semi auto.
      B. The shorter the barrel, the sooner the gas gets out. This unaffected with a bolt gun
      C. The semi auto is gas operated and requires 20k+ psi. If the gas gets out too soon or too fast, it will have cycling issues.
      D. 22 inches would be a better start.

3. The barrel needs to be custom made with a matching pre head spaced bolt. 
4. The buffer tube should be full length and not carbine to give it the maximum spring return. Therefore, no collapsible stock."

Has anyone else experienced or heard of these problems with the .260 Remington cartridge in an AR?

I look back on this all now, and I laugh.  I think I broke every "rule" they threw at you on the .260...   :lmao:

lol. oh so long ago that was. good thing I got to know you and many others that know way more about fine tuning these things than the average builder. pretty sure they were just trying to take advantage of my lack of knowledge to try and get more money out of me. glad I decided to build my own, even if it took me several years. lol. wont be long now and it will be complete with well under $1000 in parts.