• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" Dissipator Barrel Batch ... ???

GRA

Folks ... time for a .308 Dissipator build.  How about doing a run of the Dissipator barrels you used to offer through Fulton Armory ... ???

This is what has been recently discussed so far:

From 98VZ5 - 

"16" Stainless barrel with rifle-length gas system, medium weight contour, 1:10" twist, match grade.  Criterion used to make that barrel for Fulton Armory.  SurvivalShop has one.  Fulton doesn't carry it anymore, and Criterion doesn't make it for them because they don't request it.  The only hope you have is getting Josh at Criterion to make it again, and sell it direct.  Hit up the Criterion Barrels section and start a thread on it - with enough interest, and enough people committed to buy one, I'd bet they do a batch...

You can copy this PM right into the thread if you'd like - then all the details are right there..."

I'm sure they will be sold  :cool:

I like the profile on the Armalite DEF-10.  I agree with 98 that medium profile is right where I need it to be.  I plan on using an A2 front sight gas block.

Mice gun you have there.  :thumbup:  I've never seen you post photos of it before.  I must have missed them.

I see I misread something in the description of the Hybrid barrel.  It is mid-weight.  I don't understand the "hybrid" term fully but that looks lighter than the 'heavier" profile.  I'd like to get that in stainless.  Something to shoot for the next time there's a sale. :thumbup: 

Edited by GRA

This is what I want to duplicate in .308 caliber.  This is from AIM Surplus:

Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-Length GMP 5.56/.223 URG

SKU: XSTU5950MOE    

Spike's Tactical 16" Mid-Length GMP Dissapator style .223/5.56x45 caliber Complete Upper Receiver assembly for AR15/M16 type Rifles. This is a COMPLETE Upper receiver assembly, everything except a rear sight, and includes Magpul MOE heat shield lined Rifle length handguards. This AIM Exclusive upper receiver configuration features a 16" lightweight profile barrel, pinned mid-length gas system and "F" marked A2 Sight front sight base set at the Rifle length position. More info below. Front sight base will have a Stainless steel gas tube plug installed to prevent the handguard cap from rotating.

xstu5950GMPX.jpg

Edited by GRA

I pretty much realized that but I'm trying to go as light as possible.  Looks like 2.5 lbs. is what I will wind up with.

I know DPMS offered the AP4 with the A2 sight.  I'll measure one to see if a regular F-marked A2 sight will work.  Fulton offers one using screws instead of pins.  I might wind up using that since I'll be using the sight as a faux gas block.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

I got a notification yesterday from JSE Surplus about the FSB pulls being available however they have a mixed amount and will not allow you to specify or choose.

I did not know about Armalite having such a critter but Fulton Armory does.  I think the DPMS AP4 built up until a couple of years ago is the DPMS low you're taking about but I'm going to have to find one somewhere.  They are hard to find undrilled.  I'll take some measurements and see what happens as I have a DPMS AP4 .308 carbine barrel and one of the Fulton pieces for the AR15.

Next thing I need to consider is if I should use an adjustable low-profile gas block for the mid length mount?  I have the Spikes AR15 unit shown above but it doesn't use an adjustable GB however I sense I may need some adjustability with the .308

Edited by GRA

COOL ... thanks as that saves me some work.  If that is the case then I'm sure the set screw piece sold by Fulton will work.  I have one of theirs but it's for an AR15  pencil barrel.  I'll just spend a few more bucks when I order the .308 BCG group from them and get the A2 sight at the same time.

The 18" Criterion, Stainless, Nitrated ,Hybrid  Barrel I had shot very good , I just sold the rifle last week ( it was a mistake to let him shoot it last year , he bugged me till I got the right price :thumbup:). Very easy to clean & not much of any dirt in the barrel , a couple of patches & it was clean . I plan on all Barrels I get from now on will be Stainless, nitrated .

Edited by survivalshop

I wonder if I could get away with simply using an A2 sight with the rifle length gas port?  I've heard these configuration was problematic in the past.  I cannot recall the reason stated as to why this was.

I've been told the new concept is to use a faux A2 sight as a sight only with either a mid or carbine length low profile.  

Anyone have an idea as to why the A2 functioning at rifle length would be a problem?

I own the Spikes setup above and it runs absolutely smooth and flawless.

Shouldn't be any different than my Geissele gas block on a rifle length gas 16 inch barrel, the port size was what I had to mess with. I opened the gas port up till it functioned with all the ammo types I use, makes it a tad over-gassed with M118LR and the like but it runs flawlessly. Odds are I will be putting a SLR adjustable block on it when I start using a suppressor.

7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Shouldn't be any different than my Geissele gas block on a rifle length gas 16 inch barrel, the port size was what I had to mess with. I opened the gas port up till it functioned with all the ammo types I use, makes it a tad over-gassed with M118LR and the like but it runs flawlessly. Odds are I will be putting a SLR adjustable block on it when I start using a suppressor.

What size drill bit did you get to finally on the port size?

Did you drill the barrel, the gas block, or both?

There are many 16" Rifle gas rifles working fine on this Forum , I wouldn't worry about the Barrels Gas Port Hole at this time , something to measure when you get the barrel to make sure its correct before assembly . If you don't mind spending the $$ , there are several ( flip up ) A2 type sights out there that don't need the Taper Pins  . You can get the Barrel manufacturer to install an A2 sight for a extra cost .