• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

More research needed

Sisco

As I picked this up off the Internet, I don't know how true this is, but I am doing more research now before I donate my money to certain groups. If they can't give more than 50% of donations for the intended purpose, I will donate elsewhere.

14263966_1188453514510554_5623043450541551461_n.jpg

Edited by Sisco
duplication

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just donated two paper grocery bags stuffed full of cloths to the local men's shelter because of this. If I give it to goodwill they sell it, Salvation Army used to dole it out to those who needed it now they sell it too. I wanted it to go to my community not God knows where. 

Ronald McDonald and st Jude's are two amazing charities, I know a few families that have been helped a lot by them

Also I saw somthing that brought a tear to my eye a few weeks ago. The hippy liberal mayor of Madison lifted the pan handling law so there are beggers on every corner, A lot I doubt are even homeless. The car in front of me handed a young man and woman a bag of what I realized we're travel sized health and Beauty aids. These two people were soooo happy to have a stick of deodorant they dropped what they were doing and put it on right there. Usually I ignore these people, but people do fall on hard times and luckily I have friends and family to fall back on. I once offered to buy a guy out side a Walmart Christmas dinner as he was begging "for his family to have a good holidays, anything helps" he told me no, I told him I guess your not in that bad of need and drove off......

Edited by shepp

Ronald and Make a wish took awesome care of my cousin when she was diagnosed with cancer at 2.5 years old. They gave her 5 weeks to live and with the help she got she faught 2.5 years. So many charities and people who donated were so very helpful to her whole family. 

I put most of my donations towards a variety of Catholic charities. Most of my donated/volunteer time is put into my local Knights of Columbus chapter,  but I do put some monies towards Catholic charities,  and even those I do a bit of research on before I make donation.

The record of Catholic charities are much more in line with the second table, the money goes to helping the needed persons, not large salaries.

8 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

I put most of my donations towards a variety of Catholic charities. Most of my donated/volunteer time is put into my local Knights of Columbus chapter,  but I do put some monies towards Catholic charities,  and even those I do a bit of research on before I make donation.

The record of Catholic charities are much more in line with the second table, the money goes to helping the needed persons, not large salaries.

The men's shelter I donated to is monitored by a church in the next larger town over, but I found out about it because my mom volentereed thru our church to help. The thing I like is all the men they help have to take a breathalyzer before they enter, if they fail they arent aloud in and are put on the end of the list and it takes some time for them to reach the top again. Also a lot of them have jobs of some sort too. 

1 hour ago, beantown said:

United Way won't get a damn penny of my money. I was on a town board with one of there local state executives. He actually bragged that they gave 2.5 cent on the dollar that they received. He had a 6 figure salary and a brand new car every year. Fumm!

That is why I don't really donate towards many (if any) larger, national charities.  Most of them have been fundraising for themselves.

I am NOT speaking for the aforementioned good, and UPRIGHT charities.

Although, maybe I should start up my own charity, Bubbas Help Services, and "push" all the "necessary" financial upkeep needs into my appropriate acccount......:evil:

Then again, I must live with myself afterwards.....

Red Cross burned us here. Literally. We had a pretty big fire and Red Cross did a lot of fundraising specifically using the fire to gather money. Not a cent went to the fire victims or programs related to it. They did give out bonuses and buy some new office furniture that year though. In the neck....

Edited by DNP

8 minutes ago, DNP said:

Red Cross burned us here. Literally. We had a pretty big fire and Red Cross did a lot of fundraising specifically using the fire to gather money. Not a cent went to the fire victims or programs related to it. They did give out bonuses and buy some new office furniture that year though. In the neck....

I've also heard an idk if it's true, but all blood donated they sell to hospitals. Now hospitals are crooks in their own right but if I can't sell that shit to them neither can you

In Minneapolis you used to go to the War Memorial Blood Bank, and donate blood and have it specifically given or credited to a specific patient. I donated  my mother three pints for her open heart surgery, and it helped cut her costs. Hope they still do that. Also did it for a motorcycle accident victim I knew.

9 minutes ago, Sisco said:

In Minneapolis you used to go to the War Memorial Blood Bank, and donate blood and have it specifically given or credited to a specific patient. I donated  my mother three pints for her open heart surgery, and it helped cut her costs. Hope they still do that. Also did it for a motorcycle accident victim I knew.

I think you can I've heard of people doing that for family

55 minutes ago, shepp said:

I've also heard an idk if it's true, but all blood donated they sell to hospitals. Now hospitals are crooks in their own right but if I can't sell that poop to them neither can you

Yup.  "But they're non-profit!"

When you have a near monopoly on receiving donated blood then you determine what it costs to draw, check, store, and transport it.

I don't know if this is quite the right place, but if you're looking for an upright charity to donate:

www.kellykickingcancer.org

My wife and I started this foundation after our daughter Kelly passed away from an inoperable brain tumor. We are a 501c3, completely volunteer foundation. Our mission is to fund advanced brain cancer research in search of a cure. No one gets a salary. As a result, the funds we raise go directly to advanced brain cancer research. After only 6 months of existence, we made our first donation in November 2015 to the ABTA (American Brain Tumor Association) of $7500. In June of this year we made a $25,000 donation to the Kenneth Peak Brain and Pituitary Research Center at Houston Methodist, and we still have our fall gala to go in October. If you want to help, please do.

Larry/mineralman55

2 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

I don't know if this is quite the right place, but if you're looking for an upright charity to donate:

www.kellykickingcancer.org

My wife and I started this foundation after our daughter Kelly passed away from an inoperable brain tumor. We are a 501c3, completely volunteer foundation. Our mission is to fund advanced brain cancer research in search of a cure. No one gets a salary. As a result, the funds we raise go directly to advanced brain cancer research. After only 6 months of existence, we made our first donation in November 2015 to the ABTA (American Brain Tumor Association) of $7500. In June of this year we made a $25,000 donation to the Kenneth Peak Brain and Pituitary Research Center at Houston Methodist, and we still have our fall gala to go in October. If you want to help, please do.

Larry/mineralman55

Perfect place for it!!!

I have never and will never donate anything to the Red Cross.

Back on May 3, 1999, when the largest tornado ever recorded (at least at that time...) came through Oklahoma, my grandparents lived a mile from where the tornado crossed their road in the Bridge Creek area. We spent days helping their friends and neighbors clean up after they had lost literally everything. A mile-wide swath was cut through the countryside. Any houses that existed on May 2 were reduced to a concrete slab covered with debris -- the majority of the debris was from towns 15-20 miles away.

The day after the storm, the Salvation Army was there handing out bottled water, coffee, and donuts to anyone who walked by. They brought in boxes and boxes of (new) stuffed animals for the kids who had lost everything.

The next day, the Red Cross comes in with a similar setup -- water, coffee, donuts, and other snacks. As their trailer was set up closer to where we were, we stopped by to grab some water. Before we turned around, the lady said, "Three bottles of water, that'll be $1.50." I can't even begin to describe the anger I saw from my grandfather at that moment. "You mean to tell me you're CHARGING these folks for this stuff, when you're standing in the middle of all this destruction? Can you not see they've lost everything they ever owned? What the hell is the matter with you people?!" He opened his bottle of water, chugged it, and very calmly sat the empty bottle back down on the table. He didn't pay.

The Red Cross was still there the next day, but word had gotten out by that point. They packed up by the fourth day after the storm and went home. Apparently it was no longer profitable to stay there.

Edited by COBrien