• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is your favorite SHTF stock pile ammo?

beantown

To all,

I'm looking to snag about 1000 rounds of SHTF ammo. My thinking is just good ole M80 ball. There are quite a few brands out there like Hertenberger, PPU, PMC, Men, ZQI, Federal IMI, ect, ect.. And is M80 ball my best choice? So what says the collective, of what a good ammo brand is, for long term storage? Should I buy only fresh, sealed battle packs only? I do plan on rotating it out and using it for range/plinking ammo.

Thanks,

Shane

44 minutes ago, Tripledeuce said:

Just my dos centoves, but personally  1,000  for SHTF is not much.

That said, I have quite a bit of Federal, and ZQI, and somewhere between 8,000-10,000 rounds of reloads.

Respectfully

Terry

I didn't say i was stopping at 1000 rounds. ;<) I have about doubly that already, but it's mostly top shelf stuff.

13 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Buy what your rifle likes best and you can afford, proper storage will handle the rest.

It's all gets stored in .50 cal type ammo cans. And most of it is in the house as the garage is not climate controlled.

I like Sg also nice family run place fast shipping....  Bean/Ar trooper...my neighbor is a worse shot than me  :laffs: but we have kissed and made up...living less than 300 yds away from the police station keeps things calm too.... when I went out to the alley and had my HK 9 to find out what all the hammering was about it only took me going inside to put the gun up til the popo showed up in my driveway alley...they didnt use a car they just ran from the station house....scared the crap out of me !:lmao:  it was only the fact that Char takes her brownies over there once a month that kept everything ok  Ha

so now the popo gal that buzzes us into the inner station calls me the alley gun guy...as she took the call that day....when we went over there after that lil deal to take brownies she asked me if I was the guy in the alley with the axe or the gun?  I said what? you mean theres a nut running around the hood with an axe?

Wash

well at least if you meet the axe guy in the alley, he will be bringing an axe to a gun fight. haha.

is it special brownies that are keeping everything calm? that would be understandable. lol.

I could not stand being within eye sight of another house. haha. if I cant shoot my gun in all directions, then people are to close. lol.

I like what I have seen on sgammo. I always try to support a small family owned business. Where to get it is easy enough, what brand of surplus type ammo is a whole nuther ball of wax. I might just buy five or six boxes of the different brands and do an accuracy test. I have to do this quick, as I don't want to wait until the anticipated price gouging starts, right before the election.

6 hours ago, Malig8r said:

Wolf gold is pretty decent ammo. Yes it's boxer primed and the cases are just fine for reloading. Nice purchase!

I was shooting with a friend last week & he was shooting that stuff & I got the Brass , doesn't look bad , at all . Going to weigh it & prep it for loading & see how it does .

My fav ammo is anything with Lake City stamped on it.....old school days you could get 1000 rd ammo cans full of .556 for less than 100 bill at gun shows...every once and while ill crack open the lid and this wonderful overpowering smell rushes out of nitro....better than ...          :banana:  Wash

21 minutes ago, shepp said:

It has the NATO cross on the headstamp so it has to be fairly decent. I shot a bunch of their 5.56 and it was as good as any other NATO ammo I have used.