• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Start Tweaking or Wait????

jtallen83

Here is the Faxon Carbine gas system Port size .  Pistol Gas Port size may be smaller because of the placement of the Port in the gas pressure curve , doesn't hurt to ask around . 

Here's an article with some interesting info .http://micromoa.com/300-blk-port-size-testing/

Here is a Thread on the 300BLK sight .  http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=79484

• Barrel Material: 416-R Stainless
  • Barrel Type: Button Rifled 
  • Barrel Caliber: 300 BLK
  • Barrel Twist: 1:8
  • Barrel Length: 16"
  • Barrel Profile: Variable Depth Heavy "Flame" Fluted
  • Barrel Gas System: Carbine
  • Inside Finish: QPQ Black Nitride
  • Outside Finish: QPQ Black Nitride
  • Muzzle Thread: 5/8 x 24 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
  • Gas Block Diameter: .750"
  • Gas Port Diameter: .110"
  • Gas Block Journal Length: 1.1"
  • Barrel Extension: M4
  • Barrel Weight: ~1.53 Lbs
  • Magnetic Particle Inspected!
  • 11-degree Target Crown
  • Gas Block Journal Length: 1.9"

This is a Andersonn 10.5" bbl. with Carbine gas system, just for comparison.

Product Description

AR-15 Barrel, 10.5″ Heavy Barrel with 1:7 Twist, .300 Blackout Caliber, Parkerized Finish, Carbine Gas System, 5/8 x 24 threaded barrel

Length 10.5
Profile Heavy Barrel
Twist 1-7
Finish Parkerized
Material 4150
Caliber .300 Blackout
Flutes Non
Gas System Carbine
Gas Block System 0.750
Gas Hole Diameter 0.125
Edited by survivalshop

It appears the anecdotal evidence says I would need to open it up a bit if it is the specified .075. 

It will be chilly out when I get home to do the testing in December, I would assume that colder conditions would require more gas than warm conditions? I want the "pistol" to function at -30F so being able to add some gas with the adjustable block when needed is a goal.

• 1 month later...

The TWEAKING has commenced. Installed the d. wilson standard BCG and the Tubbs flat wire 300 BO buffer spring. The original port size was the .075 stated by Faxon. I drilled twice today with a trip to the range for testing after the new spring, BCG, and checking the gas system, then after drilling to .078, and again at .081. The last trip showed evidence of progress. Still no lock back on the last round in the mag but the heavier 220 subs are now being fed after each firing. The lighter subs are not feeding a new round but they are not stovepiping and the hammer is being cocked, getting close! I'll open it up a couple sizes too near .085 tonight and get out for another test in the morning.

Does anyone have an idea why Faxon would be putting such an undersized port in the barrel, is it actually undersized, maybe meant to be used for just supersonics? I've double and triple checked for gas leaks and found no signs. No burrs in the BCG or anywhere else I can see. No signs of any gas blockage anywhere, I've run my little gas tube cleaner brush through it and disassembled the SLR gas block with nothing unusual found. Buffer weighs 3+ oz. on my chinese kitchen scale. Pretty confident this pistol will end up running whatever I feed it and however I want to run it but feel the need to make sure I understand the hows and whys that get me there.

Got it! .0935 #42 bit finally got it to function with the 200 grain subs. It ran on the UMC 220 grain subs at .089 but still wouldn't lock back or load the next round with the 200's or the 208's so I went another size up. This is with the SLR gas block wide open so now I can tune the block down for everything else I need it to do. The NFA tracker website predicts I will have my first stamp show up mid January, hope congress will drop silencers from the NFA about then, and give me a tax credit for the three stamps I applied for!

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Got it! .0935 #42 bit finally got it to function with the 200 grain subs. It ran on the UMC 220 grain subs at .089 but still wouldn't lock back or load the next round with the 200's or the 208's so I went another size up. This is with the SLR gas block wide open so now I can tune the block down for everything else I need it to do. The NFA tracker website predicts I will have my first stamp show up mid January, hope congress will drop silencers from the NFA about then, and give me a tax credit for the three stamps I applied for!

Your the king of drilling gas ports lol ????

15 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

AH, come on , that was all fun !:laffs:

It was fun doing a twenty round mag dump without a hitch! It's always fun to learn as well. I now know this rifle pistol better than any other I own now. I can only think of a couple things I didn't have apart, the gas key off the carrier and the weights out of the buffer. Even had the detent out of the SI dust cover for cerakote. 

Now I'm sitting here looking at extra 308 and 5.56 BCG's and wondering what next.................

• 2 months later...