• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bug Out Backpack

mineralman55

I'm looking to get a bug out backpack, mostly for hurricane season. Something that I can pick up and go with at a moment's notice. I'd like it to not scream "tactical bag", so nothing camouflaged. Just a clean, unobtrusive, heavy duty backpack that would hold several changes of clothes, a med kit, and peripheral supplies. If it could actually hold a 16" AR15 broken down into upper and lower parts that would be a plus. Any suggestions?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mineralman55 said:

I'm looking to get a bug out backpack, mostly for hurricane season. Something that I can pick up and go with at a moment's notice. I'd like it to not scream "tactical bag", so nothing camouflaged. Just a clean, unobtrusive, heavy duty backpack that would hold several changes of clothes, a med kit, and peripheral supplies. If it could actually hold a 16" AR15 broken down into upper and lower parts that would be a plus. Any suggestions?

@edgecrusher had a link up for one at one time that would hold an SBR

Edited by shepp

I have something like this from High Sierra:  https://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra®-Swerve-Computer-Backpack/dp/B00JBZKSRK/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479752410&sr=1-9&keywords=high+sierra+laptop+backpack

Mine is a decidedly not-military green, gray, and black.  Padded straps, ventilated back surface, has a handle for off-back carrying, and will hold a metric buttload of weight, including bottles on the sides.  I found mine locally at a "name your price" sale and got it for $25.  

I've had it for 10 years now and there are no tears or rips in any of the multiple compartments.  Being designed to hold a laptop, cords, extra batteries, etc., it hasn't complained at all having several pistols, ammunition, eye and ear protection, water, plus extras.

That would be my "low profile bug-out bag" vote.

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

I have outfitted my family for the last ten years with these. They don't scream "tactical" or "prepper" but they do the job and keep a low profile.

https://kelty.com/redwing-50/

I can load up to 70 lbs in my kelty pack and it rides comfortably on my back and hips. Its just bigger than this one.

6 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:
9 hours ago, Sisco said:

I have outfitted my family for the last ten years with these. They don't scream "tactical" or "prepper" but they do the job and keep a low profile.

https://kelty.com/redwing-50/

I can load up to 70 lbs in my kelty pack and it rides comfortably on my back and hips. Its just bigger than this one.

With two surgically repaired herniated discs, my 70 pound pack days are officially over. I Just have to make do with less now. Your right though, Kelty has a good weight distribution system for an internal frame pack.

8 minutes ago, Sisco said:

With two surgically repaired herniated discs, my 70 pound pack days are officially over. I Just have to make do with less now. Your right though, Kelty has a good weight distribution system for an internal frame pack.

A couple of years back, we trained a class of Boy Scout leaders to be NRA RSOs.  While waiting for someone with keys, one of the leaders motioned to my colleague and said "I just love Bill!  He's a walking advertisement for all the latest hiking gear."  Sure enough.

Long story short (too late!), the amount of lightweight stuff they have for civvies now is mind boggling!  Spend enough money on a lack of weight and you certainly will not be wanting for any accessory/tool.

By 2116, when our military has gone to the current lightweight stuff, civilians will be able to have a 30# pack with a portable house, sauna, flushing toilet, and wood grill.

3 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

A couple of years back, we trained a class of Boy Scout leaders to be NRA RSOs.  While waiting for someone with keys, one of the leaders motioned to my colleague and said "I just love Bill!  He's a walking advertisement for all the latest hiking gear."  Sure enough.

Long story short (too late!), the amount of lightweight stuff they have for civvies now is mind boggling!  Spend enough money on a lack of weight and you certainly will not be wanting for any accessory/tool.

By 2116, when our military has gone to the current lightweight stuff, civilians will be able to have a 30# pack with a portable house, sauna, flushing toilet, and wood grill.

My advice, spend the money on the optional hot tub accessory. Just what you need after a long hike. In 2116 that will be four miles.

No matter what you get have in it fire making supplies,fishing line and hooks and sinkers, a water pump with filter, a hawk or small hatchet, a small bow saw with extra blade, a good water container and a good quality nylon fly 10x10 and a roll of parachord with these things you can go anywhere and stay anywhere everything else is comfort dress accordingly a great firearm for a bugout bag is a kel tec PMR 30 you can protect yourself and kill anything including a grizzly.....

3 hours ago, Magwa said:

No matter what you get have in it fire making supplies,fishing line and hooks and sinkers, a water pump with filter, a hawk or small hatchet, a small bow saw with extra blade, a good water container and a good quality nylon fly 10x10 and a roll of parachord with these things you can go anywhere and stay anywhere everything else is comfort dress accordingly a great firearm for a bugout bag is a kel tec PMR 30 you can protect yourself and kill anything including a grizzly.....

Jacob had a pretty cool flint and steel posted on his Instagram awhile back, been meaning to order one. 

http://fatwoodfiresteels.com/fat-wood-fire-steels/

Edited by shepp

yeah ones like that use a magnesium bar or something similar that you use the flint on a true flint and steel is just that a piece of steel and a rock (flint) but with a true flint and steel tinder or charred cloth of some type must be used to catch a spark it is a harder way to make a fire... leaning the hand drill or bow drill is a excellent skill to have...