Bug Out Backpack

mineralman55

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FOOD!, water purification of some sorta good tomahawk or similar a folding saw... para chord, a 10x10 rip stop nylon tarp weighs nothing but when it is raining or you need a wind break it is life saving....a multi tool,a good pot to boil water and cook food... a cup,a few good candles,save you flash light batteries...extra batteries and you better figure out how to make a fire in wet and snow conditions....

I was listening to meateater podcast yesterday, - question was asked "what's your fav thing in your pack under 20$ on the list was paracord, bic lighters (more than one, more like 4), cotton balls with vasoline on them in a chew tin (as a fire starter and to protect your face and lips), compass and a few others that I can't remember. 

My pack is far from complete but I do have purafication straws in it, they can be found at a decent price I think Midwest industries had them clearanced on theirs site

On December 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM, survivalshop said:

I'm too lazy , Bic & Magnesium fire starter tool , has alway worked for me . The only thing about the Bic lighter is ,if it gets too cold , you will need to put it next to your body to warm it up to work . My friends & my wife used to think I was nuts when I would go out & camp overnight when the weather got near zero , with only what i had on my back . I actually got some to come along with me . There were not into a second trip .:lmao:

Nice pack Mineralman, be interested in your furthur reviews.

Used to do the winter camping thing in my 20's and early 30's. Coldest it ever got was -22F. At that temperature you are going to be cold, period. Look up The Kekakabic Trail in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of Northern Minnesota. 42 miles of ungroomed survival test in the middle of winter. Back in the 70's we didn't have cell phones to bail us out if something happened. 

Quick tip buddy gave to last time went out camping as a fire starter. Most of us if not all of us have it in our homes. 

Lint from dryer. I bag it up in a zip lock bag and its free cause most of throw it in the trash. Works great. Super flammable. 

Edited by JJ109

8 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

Quick tip buddy gave to last time went out camping as a fire starter. Most of us if not all of us have it in our homes. 

Lint from dryer. I bag it up in a zip lock bag and its free cause most of throw it in the trash. Works great. Super flammable. 

Yup that's an old Boy Scout trick

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2016 at 7:33 PM, Sisco said:

I have outfitted my family for the last ten years with these. They don't scream "tactical" or "prepper" but they do the job and keep a low profile.

https://kelty.com/redwing-50/

I like the Kelty too, also , the North Face Recon is a pretty nice bag.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/recon-nf0a3kv1#hero=0

2 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

My wife is a TFN junkie. Packs, jackets, clothes, shoes, you name it. I gotta give them credit. They make some sturdy gear. 

Real comfortable too. At a $100 I was not complaining. I have not messed with too much of their other gear though.

I find it very interesting on how many “tactical“ companies are now making “covert “lines of gear… And so many, normally mundane, companies now make “Tactical” gear. 

The North Face and Merrell boots both have Tactical lines now. Vertx and 5.11 both have their “Grey Man” products. 

2 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I find it very interesting on how many “tactical“ companies are now making “covert “lines of gear… And so many, normally mundane, companies now make “Tactical” gear. 

The North Face and Merrell boots both have Tactical lines now. Vertx and 5.11 both have their “Grey Man” products. 

That is weird. 5.11s stuff still gives off a lot of indicators though, imo.

I prefer "grey man" type gear so I  dont mind the rising popularity of that type of gear. 

40 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Dosnt Nike even make "combat" boots now ? Lol