• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The next logical step!

roller31

Hello everyone,

Northern New York born & raised and currently live South Carolina. I have been hunting with a Winchester semi .308 that was made in the seventies for nearly 25 years. I have decided it was time to hang up the old girl and upgrade to a modern rifle style. After doing some research, I have decided that building one seemed to be direction i needed to go. I really like the idea that not only can i assemble one and get it the way i want it but i can have different setups to suit different needs. That being said, my first build is going to be a .308win/7.62nato, 20" barrel, a free floating hand-guard, and of course it has to be Ambi-dex. I will be exploring the forum greatly for info and opinions, Please bear with me if i ask any questions that have been posted already somewhere.

Welcome from southern Wisconsin roller.

build how ever you'd like, but word to

the wise these girls get heavy fast. As a hunter with a 18" barrel I'll tell you there's no need for that extra 2". some will even tell you 16" is even enough, I my self havnt shot or hunted with one but I believe them.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:30 PM, roller31 said:

appreciate the warm welcome. I am primarily going to use it for hunting, but will be doing a lot of target shooting. besides when you got an FNX pistol you got to have a cool ass rifle to go with it!

Ain't that the truth!

Hello to everyone. Aright, I am going to throw crazy question out there and maybe a thread on this already exists. Also this also question is all opinion and some speculation.. if the industry decided to start standardizing the ar308 format..which profile do you think would be the chosen one? 

Mostly just pondering, but has some revelance when it comes building

Welcome form somewhere in the middle of all the other Wisconsin people. lol.

I believe 20 in should be just fine for hunting if you are the type that sits in a comfy box stand, and good for target shooting, especially at longer distances where the extra velocity can help. but if you stalk your prey at times or hunt in an area that takes a rough walk, might wanna shed some ounces where you can.

I don't ever see a chance of standardizing the "ar308" because many companies are getting profit from both AR10 or LR308 platforms, such as magpul for example who has parts for both. Or individual companies keep business by making it so their parts only work with their rifles (or maybe just fewer companies), such as rock river arms, who is great but there is trouble when it comes to using many parts from other companies. AR15s were only standardized because of mil spec from the military, although there is also commercial too, and there are other companies that make their own specs, so there is no true standardization and some times you got to do little modifications to make parts work if they weren't meant for your platform.

If your question is basically you trying to get an answer off of what platform you should build off of, thinking of which platform will be easier to get parts for now and in the future, my suggestion is to not worry to much on that. My suggestion is find an upper and lower matching receivers that you like and fits your budget and just go from there.

Trooper, thanks for the insight. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.  As for usage of the rifle, here in South Carolina, I mostly hunt from a stand, very little stalking. When I lived in New York, all I did was stalk. The weight of the rifle will be factor but it is not high on my list because I am use to carrying a lot of weight around in the woods.( <--- Land Surveyor --->)

just a side note.... tough finding ambi-dex receiver combos.  Seems like everyone bought up them before the election.

Alright, the noob in me about to show, but here is my question.....just receivers.......are all upper and lower receivers .308 & 7.62nato acceptable or must they be labeled multi caliber?

side note.... still having a heck of time finding ambidextrous reciever combos!

cheers everyone!

Edited by roller31

41 minutes ago, roller31 said:

side note.... still having a heck of time finding ambidextrous reciever combos!

cheers everyone!

https://falkordefense.com/shop/receivers/falkor-308-ambi-matched-set-with-forward-assist-black/

http://www.megaarms.com/maten/receiver-sets/billet-upper-lower-sets/ambi-billet-upper-lower-set/

Edited by jtallen83

No kidding... I had my finger on the buy now button on election night for a complete rifle.

51 minutes ago, roller31 said:

Alright, the noob in me about to show, but here is my question.....just receivers.......are all upper and lower receivers .308 & 7.62nato acceptable or must they be labeled multi caliber? What's the deal?