• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The next logical step!

roller31

• 8 months later...

Alright, ....  know this is gonna get rough but hey I couldn't beat the price...not to mention work had me humping the desk this last year so a build at this time didn't happen( it will thou). So..... I bought a psa pa10 gen2 , 18"SS barrel w/ 1-10 twist. Actually bought the complete upper and complete lower separately. Paid $660 with taxes and shipping. Pick up the lower receiver in a couple days. Also bought a Leopuld vx2 4-12 40mm scope. I can give more stats later. Soon as I get it together I will post picks. 

Question... Mobil 1 lubing?   What weight, where, when, and how? Use it like standard gun lube or what? The topic has me confused... I have read to much on the subject and needs some clarifying due to the amount of websites I have read.

Let the ball busting begin!?

Answer:

Take out your bolt carrier and drop it in a bucket of (at least) 30W Mobil 1. Let it sit in there for as long as you can take it (overnight at the least) before taking it out. Make sure to dry off the face of the bolt, then drop that thing back in your rifle and run the bastard. These large frame AR's like to be really wet during the break-in period. Hell, they like being wet even after it too. Remember. More heat. More pressure. More stress. Lubrication will never hurt ANY mechanical device.

No ball busting my man. We all started down this same road at one point or another.

6 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Answer:

Take out your bolt carrier and drop it in a bucket of (at least) 30W Mobil 1. Let it sit in there for as long as you can take it (overnight at the least) before taking it out. Make sure to dry off the face of the bolt, then drop that thing back in your rifle and run the bastard. These large frame AR's like to be really wet during the break-in period. Hell, they like being wet even after it too. Remember. More heat. More pressure. More stress. Lubrication will never hurt ANY mechanical device.

No ball busting my man. We all started down this same road at one point or another.

Thanks Rsquare.

I did notice the BCG was a little tight (for a lack of a better term). The Mobil1 treatment should help a bit.

granted, the whole setup will be cleaned and lubed before one round gets fired. Do you al use that Mobil 1 on the whole gun or just the BCG?

Also, do anyone recommend a certain breakin process for tha PSA PA10 GEN2 or just a routine break-in ordeal?

8 hours ago, roller31 said:

Alright, ....  know this is gonna get rough but hey I couldn't beat the price...not to mention work had me humping the desk this last year so a build at this time didn't happen( it will thou). So..... I bought a psa pa10 gen2 , 18"SS barrel w/ 1-10 twist. Actually bought the complete upper and complete lower separately. Paid $660 with taxes and shipping. Pick up the lower receiver in a couple days. Also bought a Leopuld vx2 4-12 40mm scope. I can give more stats later. Soon as I get it together I will post picks. 

Question... Mobil 1 lubing?   What weight, where, when, and how? Use it like standard gun lube or what? The topic has me confused... I have read to much on the subject and needs some clarifying due to the amount of websites I have read.

Let the ball busting begin!?

No reason to ball bust, welcome to the 308AR club. You run into problems, you will learn more about your rifle in solving them then you ever would otherwise. Boot Scraper and bfoosh maybe can weigh in. They are becoming our PSA authorities. A good general break in procedure for all AR308s, particularly stainless barrels, is to take your cleaning equipment with to the range. Fire ten rounds cleaning the barrel after each round. Then fire 5 rounds four times, cleaning the barrel after each string of five. Load the first ten rounds singly and check ejection and bolt hold open. Take a look at each round for abnormal denting, tearing of the rim, etc. Then do the same for the strings of five. Don't worry about accuracy yet. After that, get some variety of different weights and manufactures of 308 rounds and see which give the best feed and accuracy in your rifle. Generally 168-175 grain BTHP will work very well. Lighter bullets it is up to the individual rifle.  But the most important rule is to enjoy the hell out of it.

7 hours ago, roller31 said:

Do you al use that Mobil 1 on the whole gun or just the BCG?

There's a few guys here that just dip the whole rifle in a 55 gal drum of the stuff and go to town. Ok, maybe not that wet...but I wouldn't put it past em. Welcome aboard. 

If it slides,  rolls, rubs, rocks, or throbs, lube it.  If it is flesh to flesh, flesh to latex, metal to metal, lubrication makes it feel smoother and is less wear on sensitive parts. That is my two cents worth!

Edited by mrmackc

6 hours ago, mrmackc said:

If it slides,  rolls, rubs, rocks, or throbs, lube it.  If it is flesh to flesh, flesh to latex, metal to metal, lubrication makes it feel smoother and is less wear on sensitive parts. That is my two cents worth!

Mrmack     You left out my fav......latex on metal       :laffs:    Wash

7 hours ago, mrmackc said:

This is epic...   :thumbup::lmao:

I gave it through cleaning and lubing. Got a 150 grain, 167, and 180  ammo for testing. But getting that scope dialed in on the 100 yard range will be my first objective. ( of course break-in too).

i did dry fired it a couple times and the trigger probably had about 7lb pull( pure guess). But I didn't think it was as stiff as I thought it would/should be. A pleasant suprize.

The gun was absolutely dry as a popcorn fart when I received it. And my barrel also had some weird black residue in the barrel, which came out with little effort. 

I will give a field report when I get back from the range.:fullauto:

Went to the range and got it mostly within a 2" group at hundred yards in only 15 rounds without support and only shot the federal 180gr. I wasn't at the range long but she liked that heavy round. cycled every round with out an issue. The brass ejected at 2:30 to 3:30 position. The Trigger is quite a heavy pull and probably will change it out after a bit. She is a heavy beast but i like that. So far so good.  Now to clean it up and get her ready for some more break-in/ fine tuning time

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, second range review for the lovely lady... I ran a box of Winchester 150g, a box of sierra168g (<--I think) and a half box of federal 180g thru the rifle from a braced seated position at 100yds. (All factory loads). The 150g ammo seemed to be a tough to keep a nice grouping. It shot a little bit low and a little bit random on the positioning. I didn't care for it. The 180g shot a touch high but group fairly decent but a bit more kick( more  gas compressing I am guessing due to the heavier bullet). The 168g group nicely. 1/2" group at 100yds. The recoil seemed manageable. But mostly the tight groups I was getting really made me grin. I think I will be shooting those 168ish rounds more often... I use to buy the cheapest...  now I will buy strictly on grain. 

The ammo ejected out at 3 o'clock position so that was good.  No FTF or FTE. 

A few more hundred rounds I think I will have her tuned like a baby grand piano. Minus that heavy trigger which I will replace probably after deer season.

IMG_0121.JPG