• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build

B0fuh

Okay ladies and gents, I'm starting a thread to chronicle my build and seek advice in areas I'm undecided on.   I've shifted gears a touch on my build and decided that I'll focus on a lightweight specific build after I've become more familiar with the building and tuning of the rifle.

That said, I'm building a rifle that will be a breeze to carry while hunting and capable of performing better than I can at the range.  This means it absolutely must hold sub moa out to a range of 750-ish yds and in the area of 7lbs/10lbs scoped depending on configuration.  I'll have two scopes for it, an eotech and a Burris Eliminator 3.  I'll also have a fully adjustable stock and a minimalist stock.  These are to be swapped out depending on the intended use of the rifle at the time.

Below is a list of parts for my build.  Money is not an issue and I intend to save weight where possible to help keep the rifle relatively light but function is definitely the number one priority.  Items on the list preceded by * are up for negotiation.  Any constructive criticism or helpful advice is welcome.  

receiver set- nlx 308 matched set (purchased)

hand guard- JL billet (purchased)

receiver extension- Vseven carbine (purchased)

buffer- JP silent captured spring (purchased)

*stock- Undecided 

BCG-NLX 308 (purchased)

barrel-proof research 16"

*muzzle device-undecided (titanium)

grip-strike industries (purchased)

misc. lower parts-Vseven (purchased)

*trigger-undecided

charging handle-Vseven (purchased)

gas block-srs titanium adjustable block

If you see any major oversights, please bring them to my attention as well, thank you.  

Chuck

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of vseven or nlx. Can't really give input there. You are going to have a hard time building a scoped and loaded rifle that comes in under 10lbs with a 30 oz optic. My other question is 1/2 mos guaranteed? What kind of training do you have? Unless you are bob Lee swagger, good luck 

37 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

I haven't heard of vseven or nlx. Can't really give input there. You are going to have a hard time building a scoped and loaded rifle that comes in under 10lbs with a 30 oz optic. My other question is 1/2 mos guaranteed? What kind of training do you have? Unless you are bob Lee swagger, good luck 

I'm with you on the obnoxiously heavy Burris, I have several other optics that are much much lighter as well.

Now, two things, I never said loaded, and I'm not capable of 1/2 minute at those ranges.

1 hour ago, B0fuh said:

capable of performing better than I can at the range.  This means it absolutely must hold sub moa (close to half) out to a range of 750-ish yds

No part of that quote says I guaranteed 1/2 moa capabilities.   I am however fundamentally sound enough to maintain control of my timing and body to shoot under 1moa.  This means for the rifle to be more accurate, the above statement applies.

I know this comes off as more dick-holey than I intend but try not to add words to my post that don't exist.  Though I'm not a long time member of this particular forum, I have a great experience and understanding with forums in general and have zero interest in having my post derailed over silly things like you suggesting that I said I guarantee I'm accurate of 1/2 moa.  

I hope you understand what I mean, I'm not trying to start an argument here

All that said, your not going to get anyone that will guarantee (must was your word, potato patato type thing) 1/2 moa. I think you'd be better served with an adjustable two stage trigger. My suggestion is geiselle. Especially for precision work. You have a great barrel picked out. Your stock choice isn't my cup of tea, but it's your build. 

My my constructive criticisms are just that nothing more. I don't know you and cannot possibly be butt hurt by words on a screen. Your biggest thing will be you behind the trigger at the distance stated (750 yds) 1 Moa is still tough at that distance regardless, ask me how I know. Good luck with your build and welcome to the site, others will be along shortly to welcome and add advice.

13 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

All that said, your not going to get anyone that will guarantee (must was your word, potato patato type thing) 1/2 moa. I think you'd be better served with an adjustable two stage trigger. My suggestion is geiselle. Especially for precision work. You have a great barrel picked out. Your stock choice isn't my cup of tea, but it's your build. 

My my constructive criticisms are just that nothing more. I don't know you and cannot possibly be butt hurt by words on a screen. Your biggest thing will be you behind the trigger at the distance stated (750 yds) 1 Moa is still tough at that distance regardless, ask me how I know. Good luck with your build and welcome to the site, others will be along shortly to welcome and add advice.

I appreciate your understanding of my response.  You're a gentleman for sure.  The must was intended for the sub moa party, but I can see your point.  I'll edit that for future viewers. 

If the day comes at my range where I can hold a ten inch group at 750 yds in real world conditions with this rifle, I will definitely consider the build a success.  

May I ask, out of curiosity, what type of stocks you prefer and why?  I'm pretty flexible with stocks, I'm still searching for the right one for me.   In the process, I am accumulating quite the collection.  The particular adjustable stock will be my first fully adjustable stock outside of the military, and those were on a chassis for bolt rifles.  None have felt natural as of yet.

Ball busting is routine around here, you'll get accustomed to it. You'll only encounter more ball busting as we get to know you better, so you have that to look forward to...

You'll probably find that the trade off of weight is usually accuracy. Whereas rigidity usually equates to weight, going light usually means sacrificing rigidity at least, if not velocity in addition.

IOW, trading barrel length to regain rigidity might cost you accuracy at distance because of velocity loss.

Believe us, you aren't the first nor last builder to want a really light weight 1000yd laser, we all want one too. The reality for those of us who have achieved both light builds and laser accurate builds, is that the two never coincided.

Don't take the ball busting to heart, it's just a few good men who have trod your path before.

Oh no sweat here, I'm a veteran ball buster/bustee.  I have no intention of building a 1k yd laser as of yet.  I'm staying practical right now.  I know what I'm actually capable of and it's definitely not 1k yds.   Like I said 10" grouping at 750 is my current goal.  The primary focus in that is my ability to compensate for weather consistently enough to put rounds on target at that range.  That's an entirely different subject though.  

1 hour ago, B0fuh said:

I'm staying practical right now.  I know what I'm actually capable of and it's definitely not 1k yds.   Like I said 10" grouping at 750 is my current goal.

I understand, I was just trying to illustrate my point. Trying for .5 MOA @ 750yds with a light build is probably not a possibility for most folks that don't have the requisite time, skills, and equipment to achieve that kind of accuracy.

In any case, a 10" group @ 750 yards is 1.285 MOA, so an MOA capable rifle would get you there capability wise.

Here's my LR-308 Oracle with a 16" HBAR barrel. Hogue stock and grip set and a Banner 1.5-4.5X32 scope and a Rise drop in trigger. With a full 20 round mag it's 11 pounds. Under 10 pounds should be easy in a hunting config with an 18" barrel. Or is it?

WP_20170106_18_52_39_Pro.jpg

Edited by beantown

8 minutes ago, beantown said:

Here's my LR-308 Oracle with a 16" HBAR barrel. Hogue stock and grip set and a Banner 1.5-4.5X32 scope and a Rise drop in trigger. With a full 20 round mag it's 11 pounds. Under 10 pounds should be easy in a hunting config with an 18" barrel. Or is it?

WP_20170106_18_52_39_Pro.jpg

Again, I never said loaded.  Nice rifle though.   I considered starting with an oracle 

10 minutes ago, B0fuh said:

Again, I never said loaded.  Nice rifle though.   I considered starting with an oracle 

It's just an example of stock kinda weight. When I hunt with it, I'd have a five rounds in a 10 round magazine. That would easily knock a pound off the weight right there.

Edited by beantown

14 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

I prefer magpul prs for precision, I like the adjustable comb and length of pull

I've heard nothing but great things about them, they just look a little bulky for my taste I think.  I should probably give it a little more consideration before writing it off.

4 minutes ago, beantown said:

It's just an example of stock kinda weight. When I hunt with it, I'd have a five rounds in a 10 round magazine. That would easily knock a pound off the weight right there.

Yeah that's my thoughts exactly.  Also, if I'm planning on having to defend my kill or hunt something that will kill me back, I'll probably be carrying ten pounds of ammo.  I can always adjust the ammo weight according to lazy I am that particular day.