• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build

B0fuh

12 minutes ago, B0fuh said:

Matt.cross

i appreciate the input, I'm definitely a novice in this particular department.    

I was an 11B

Roger that. Just wanted to share with you that the folks here aren't your run of the mill variety shade tree gun plumbers, but very smart articulate fellas with a vast and varied experience with both the platform and the material sciences associated therewith. 

You would have to have an otherworldly amount of force exerted on both your handguard AND barrel in order to see interference from more than 1/8" of barrel whip, at which point you'd probably have bigger concerns than POI shift.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, B0fuh said:

We used to spend days and sometimes a week at a time on the known distance ranges charting poa/poi in various weather conditions, bore temperatures, floated/unfloated with sling or supported, resting pens and sticks against barrels, contact with bushes....etc.   The results were incredibly eye opening.  

Wow, I thought my 11B gig in S2 was sweet, your's was a dream job! How did you end up with that assignment?

Perhaps the barrel whip that you are so accustomed to experiencing can be relieved by a harmonic balancing dampener. But if you are so assured the flex which will exist in a rifle which is not even built will occur then, get that heavy duty handguard. The larger frame AR10/LR308 is not the same as an AR15. Hey what do I know ,I'm just a shade tree gun disassembler who has only put 150+ AR's together !

Don't watch Judge Judy ,but take her advice ...K.I.S.S. !!!

maxresdefault (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Barrel Tuner_zpsizerxqag.jpg

Matt.cross

my experience with it is nothing remotely close to the experience and knowledge you gentleman have, this is why I'm enjoying your talking me into getting this handguard.  I'm settled now, if it fails I'm blaming you guys.  If it's a success, I'm taking all of the credit.  Haha, I like this forum.  You fellas are incredibly helpful.  

Jtallen 

I was in the right place at the right time during my stay at ft. Bragg and was given the opportunity to attend two shooting schools.  One was an urban DM school that was a week long.  The other was a field expedient calculations and shooting position type of school.  I don't know what they were officially titled as because they were taught by a gentleman out of Washington who ran a law enforcement marksmanship school.  A couple years later I landed in ft. Polk, LA and in our time out of rotations, I was able to take a group of joes every so often for a couple days with recon platoon to screw around "test" with different things.   The most important thing of them all was avoiding slings and supported positions at all times for DMs.  Most of them were only issued long barreled A4s (not a floated barrel) so the training was mostly calculating windage, working with our ACOG bdc, and shooting off of the magazine in lieu of a supported position to avoid changing the poi.  The other situations were focused on proving that barrel contact can change poi and should be avoided as much as possible.  I hope that makes sense.  

Just now, B0fuh said:

Anyone know how I can edit my original post?  I have two changes to make now and figured I'd update it to reflect the current state of the build 

PM me the modified version of what you want it to be and I'll copy/paste over your OP.

Edit permissions are restricted because historically some dickheads would erase/edit their posts and claim to be victims of the Mods and Admins. Didn do nuffin' types.

55 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Perhaps the barrel whip that you are so accustomed to experiencing can be relieved by a harmonic balancing dampener. But if you are so assured the flex which will exist in a rifle which is not even built will occur then, get that heavy duty handguard. The larger frame AR10/LR308 is not the same as an AR15. Hey what do I know ,I'm just a shade tree gun disassembler who has only put 150+ AR's together !

Don't watch Judge Judy ,but take her advice ...K.I.S.S. !!!

maxresdefault (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Barrel Tuner_zpsizerxqag.jpg

We had a dude that used one of these on his deer rifles.  Adjust the position on the barrel to the load he was using, sub-1/2 MOA all day.  Came in and bought a new one about every 8 months.  That's a LOT of shooting!

If the OP is that worried about barrel whip/harmonics, he needs a 16" barrel.  Shorter is more rigid.  People were getting match rifle accuracy out of Ruger's M77 Compact off the shelf, and those have a thin tapered barrel.

At least he won't have to deal with an op-rod or piston mass slamming back and forth.

46 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

PM me the modified version of what you want it to be and I'll copy/paste over your OP.

Edit permissions are restricted because historically some dickheads would erase/edit their posts and claim to be victims of the Mods and Admins. Didn do nuffin' types.

Will do.  Probably tomorrow evening.  

I like the quality control around here

41 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

If the OP is that worried about barrel whip/harmonics, he needs a 16" barrel.  Shorter is more rigid.  People were getting match rifle accuracy out of Ruger's M77 Compact off the shelf, and those have a thin tapered barrel.

I was just thinking about that as my next subject of discussion.  my goal with it is 750, any reason aside from added wind drift that 750 would be unattainable with 16"?

45 minutes ago, B0fuh said:

I was just thinking about that as my next subject of discussion.  my goal with it is 750, any reason aside from added wind drift that 750 would be unattainable with 16"?

With .308 Winchester?  Not much if you train.  Two extra inches at 18" is a nice compromise between rigidity 16" and velocity of the 20".

Or you could do a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for the rigidity.

I have read a lot of information and  about the benefit of a. Pressure node / free floating in wood stock and did some fiberglass bedded stocks on custom stocked long range rifles primarely 3006 and 300 mag rifles. We found that a rifle with the clearance of a single playing card was plenty of freefloat on our rifles with slings  at the range.  We used strips of plastic gage to determine how much and where  (amplitude and frequency) that the barrel moved up and down and side to side with various rounds and that is how we determined that the thickness of a playing card was ample free floating. Kind of how an old timey red neck did things before ultra high speed cameras and computers were around.

By the way what is an 11B besides a long narrow shoe size?

3 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

/\/\/\/\  That's akin to how sliding a dollar bill between the stock and barrel came to demonstrate "no contact" between the two.

Right on fellow airplane driver! I might not always of had a dollar but usually had an ace up my sleeve.