• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build

B0fuh

11 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Grips are one thing that a lot of the AR 15 contour Grips will not fit a Billet 308AR Receivers . Some will fit good , some will not . Hit & miss .

I'm quickly coming to that conclusion, no biggie.  Learning is the second best part of all of this anyway.  

11 minutes ago, EngrBob said:

I have Ergo grips on all of my rifles and like them very much.  They seem to fit the 5.56 and 7.62 lowers without problems, both 7075 and polymer.

Thanks, I'll look into them.   My final orders are going to be in two weeks.  I may do some shopping locally tonight.  Fingers crossed 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided on the rra grip, it's a carbon copy of the hogue over molded grip but fits my receiver better somehow.  Either way, looks great, feels great, and didn't cost a dime.  My last order of parts will go in this week.  After that, I need to decide on optics.  I decided that I'm using it for NRA mid range prone tactical shooting in some spare time so my limits are at 12 power.  I'm leaning on the Burris XTR 2 2-10 variable for it.  We'll see how I feel in the coming weeks after wrestling season.  

IMG_2558.JPG

Edited by B0fuh

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, been a while.  So the rifle is done, no fancy scope yet.  I'm still breaking it in and learning a little bit.  I'm not sold on the jp enterprises gas block.  I'll be getting rid of it soon in favor of the slr adjustable block.  I'm ditching the nlx 308 bolt in favor of the jp enterprises enhanced bolt as well.  The NLX 308 extractor isn't holding onto the brass any more.  So far I have about 150 rounds down range and as long as the thread protector doesn't work loose, it's good for 1/2 inch singular ragged hole at 100 yds.  Haven't done much past that because it's not operating flawlessly yet.  It's continuing to improve and the only problem right now is the newly developed extraction issue.  For the record, the only reason I'm replacing the gas block is personal preference.   The picture shows my rockin' Atlas bipod, 10lb Burris scope mount, and cheap BSA 4-12 scope.  Thanks for the help along the way, I'll bug you with more questions as they arise.  

IMG_2619.JPG

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Look into the Fulton Armory HP BCG. I put one in the brother in laws build and it's a very nice piece. They back their stuff up as well, looks the same as JP but about half the price.

I appreciate the input, I really like the carrier I have, just needed an excuse to grab the jp enterprises enhanced.  According to the extremely helpful folks at proof research, the enhanced bolt is the go to bolt for the barrel extension on their barrels.  Then if I find an issue with the next level carrier, It'll be easier to convince myself to switch to the lmos.