• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

first build woes, don't know what I don't know

MikeD

ordered the Aero from Riflegear just now that guruofhotrod suggested.  My DWilson BCG doesn't have the FA machining so I'll just plug it for now and if I decide I-must-have-FA (very doubtful) then I can swap the BCG out.  I did want the M4 ramps and the associated initial problems they bring though to be able to learn about them.  

"The assembled upper doesn't look bad either for the price."

from the GB ad:   Accepts Mil-Spec .308 Cal Ejection Port Door Kit And Forward Assist Kit (Not Included) 

So decided to go with Aero all things being somewhat equal - whatever that is the wild, wild west that is the large frame world...

Left a message on the other AR10 thread about selling the AR10 upper, thx for the assist with that

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So reading the comments for the Aero Upper, looks like I need to use their barrel nut for their free floating M-LOK handguard 

upper: http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-stripped-upper-receiver.html

handguard:  http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-enhanced-mlok-handguards-gen2.html  (anodized black, 15") -- I need the Aero/DPMS threaded barrel nut, yes?

Edited by MikeD

I bought one of them for a friend recently from these guys, seem to be one of the better deals out there:

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-M5-308-Enhanced-KeyMod-Handguard-Gen-2-APPG308225.htm

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-M5-308-Enhanced-M-LOK-Handguard-Gen-2-APPG308226.htm

Edited by guruofhotrod

I'm going to wait till the upper gets here before ordering the hand guard, shows its on a USPS truck heading north out of LA so hoping it will be here before the weekend.  

I decided, beings that I'm in CA, that I'm going to add the bullet button to my build to keep it from having the "evil features" that would require it to be registered as an assault weapon here.  The bullet button website mentions AR10 but not DPMS, and after the sting of having to take a small hair cut on the AR10 upper that Barrett ended up buying off me yesterday that I need confirmation on the right part especially since their "no returns!" policy is front and center on their website.  I'm after a Patriot button and an extended rear take down pin to make it easy to break the upper

The AR10 bullet button:

http://www.bulletbutton.com/bullet-buttons-for-sale-ar15-ak47-ar10-rifle-ca-legal-san-diego/

*NEW* AR-10 Patriot Mag Release
*NEW* PATRIOT MAG RELEASE FOR AR-10 PLATFORM RIFLES.
** NOTICE - FOR AR-10 (.308 WIN. / 7.62X51MM NATO) PLATFORMS ONLY! **

The AR15 pin:

So that looks to be the correct button, but the description is throwing me a bit with my newfound hyper-vigilance yet nothing else seems to apply.  But there is no 308 extended rear takedown pin offered - is AR15 the same size?   Worst case I can prob have my bud who has a lathe turn one up for me 

So, getting to the actual point - Is this the bullet-button part I want?  

Thanks for the info, I'll probably be going that route on several of mine - other options include the AR maglock and Franklin's DFM Fixed magazine (10 round of course)
Still waiting on the response to Michel & Associates letter demanding that the CA DOJ rescind the new proposed regs and further clarification of the upcoming rules

Edited by guruofhotrod

Bullet Button ordered today along with a FA delete  

The build so far (hope this displays correctly):

Totals: $544.90 $36.06 $39.85 -$67.29 $541.53
order desc part price tax shipping discount total
1 Polymer80, 308 80% Lower Receiver and Jig System P80-308KitP80-308KIT-Black $100.99        
  Lower Parts Kit with Pistol Grip P80-308LPK308 $89.99        
  Buffer Tube Kit - Commercial Spec P80-BufferTubeKit-2 $32.99 $12.99 $8.16 -$44.79 $200.33

2 Genesis .308 Upper Receiver G2UR $149.99 $11.47 $0.00 -$22.50 $138.96
  sold, wrong part   -$120.00   $13.40   -$106.60

3 Dwilson 308 BCG AR10 Bolt carrier Group Coating: Black Nitride - Blems $135.00 $0.00 $6.80 $0.00 $141.80

4 Aero M5 .308 Stripped Upper Receiver - Anodized Black APAR308503C $99.00 $8.00 $7.99   $114.99

5 AR-10 Model - Patriot Mag Release bullet button PMR10 $44.95 $3.60 $3.50   $52.05

6 Forward Assist Delete Plug (Black) amazon prime $11.99        

PENDING PURCHASES      
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (7.62mm/.308) w/ Mod 5 BCM-GFH-762-MOD-5 $54.95 can find cheaper online
M5 (.308) Enhanced M-LOK Handguards, Gen 2 (cerakote) APRA308252AD $235.00  
barrel nut     comes with handguard
barrel nut washer     comes with handguard
AR 308 Ejection Port Cover Kit APRH100107 $13.00  

FUTURE PURCHASES

armorers wrench
18” barrel
butt stock
gas block
gas line
compensator
sights, glass or iron

6 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

Thanks for the info, I'll probably be going that route on several of mine - other options include the AR maglock and Franklin's DFM Fixed magazine (10 round of course)

The Bullet Button Patriot and the ARMAGLOCK are basically the same product, looks like the ARMAGLOCK already has the enhanded rear take down pin though.  The DFM seems odd, if I'm going to go through all that work to break the upper and lower then I'd rather run regular magazines vs taking a one-off mag out through the top - makes the gun legal but an odd solution to me. 

its really sloppy as is, I can rattle it back and forth in the upper

eta:   "AR10 Bolt carrier Group Coating: Black Nitride - Blem"

AR10 bolt is diff sized??  lol, of course it will be...  <sigh>  I'll have a deal for someone on an AR10 bolt...

Edited by MikeD