• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm Blaming Y'all for This...

COBrien

After seeing brother blue's Dissipator project and talking to a friend about building an AR, I've decided to build myself a Dissy. Or at least an upper. For now.

This will be my first build, but I've become quite familiar with how everything goes together over the last year or so. Plus my buddy and his friend (from whom I purchased my LR-308T last spring) are quite adept with ARs.

I've limited myself to spending no more than $150ish per month on this build. That's all I think the wife will let me get away with (once she finds out...).

First month's budget already blown on the Del-Ton Dissipator barrel (kit?). Includes FSB, triangular hand guard cap, and barrel nut.

Next month I'll pick up an upper and UPK. After that will come the BCG. Miscellaneous small parts will be ordered as needed. Then I'll figure out if (I only kind of mean that) I "need" to build a lower. My wife has a Bushy Carbon-15 that's a decent little carbine, but I don't get to swap parts on it like I could my own lower. My vision of this rifle includes an A2 buttstock. Or MagPul MOE Rifle buttstock.

I'm planning to use this thread as a single place to ask questions about parts and get recommendations along the way.

So, first question: Anybody have an opinion about Fulton Armory receivers? I've been impressed with everything I've purchased from them for my .308, so logic tells me their receivers should be quality, as well.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Fulton LPKs on all my builds and they are quality.  I have added a few other miscellaneous pieces from them that are also top notch.  The receivers I have purchased from Daytona Tactical have also been very good.  I have been able to mate their uppers to both 7075 and polymer (80%) lowers and they fit tight with no play.

Thanks for the input so far, fellas.

Here's a preliminary parts list...

DTI Dissy Barrel

FA Upper, M4

FA USGI BCG

RRA NM FF Sleeve Kit (this one comes with a pre-modified round "A2" handguard)

FA upper parts

Sig Taper-Lok Mini-Comp (setting myself up for that eventual suppressor purchase...)

TacOps CH

I have a hook-up if I decide to go with a MaTech BUIS (a buddy gets a new one every time he deploys...), but I'm also considering the KAC Micro BUIS for the rear. "Gently used" KACs are going for $60-ish on a popular online auction site.

IF I end up building a lower, it will be a FA lower. RRA 2-stage (love the one in my .308AR), A2 buttstock (have one lying around from my .308AR), Hogue grip (again, love the one on my .308AR), and probably a FA LPK.

Damn. This isn't turning into a cheap build, is it? Is there anywhere I can skimp a little and not pay for it later? The lawyer in me says to go with FA parts for FA receivers. That way, in the unlikely event there's an issue, FA can't blame it on inferior parts.

2 hours ago, COBrien said:

Is there anywhere I can skimp a little and not pay for it later?

Yeah, ditch that RRA 2-stage trigger.  Best, least expensive 2-stage I know of is the LaRue MBT.  On sale, they go for $99.  I think regular price is $125.  Next up (in price) after that one would be the Geissele G2S; when on sale it goes for about $135.

That RRA 2-stage will let you down over time - see how long it takes on your .308AR.  MANY, MANY reports on it all over the web; it's common for it to go "mushy" and lose the second stage, just making it feel like a soft, mushy single-stage. 

The DTI barrel "kit" came in Saturday. Two things surprised me...

1. The FSB is already pinned in place. I'd planned on running a set-screw "wedge" style FSB from FA without a bayonet lug. No big deal, just that much more I have to do. With the barrel nut already on the barrel, this appears to be a "ready to install" setup, rather than the box of parts I was expecting.

2. This beast is HEAVY. I'm not all that concerned with the weight, per se, but I was surprised at the OD (weight) of the barrel. I hope this translates into accuracy...

My plan for this build has, up to this point, included a "National Match" free float sleeve to allow the use of A1 or A2 (still haven't decided which...) handguards. I will be adding a sling swivel stud to the handguard for use with a sling and occasional bipod use, so I'd thought the FF sleeve would be a common-sense addition.

Does anyone have any experience and/or "before-and-after" targets of free-float vs. traditional handguard mounting? I'm just wondering if the extra $120 and added weight are going to make a noticeable difference in the accuracy of this rifle, especially given the HBAR.

I'd prefer to only build this rifle once -- not put it together "as-is", then later decide to run a FF sleeve...

Can't help you with accuracy pics...or really with a good accuracy report as I've only run my dissy with A2 irons or a red dot. That barrel really is a pig though. I had mine profiled down to .635 behind the gas block and it made it so much lighter. The one I built for my father in law is still stock and it's a beast. Also, both of our barrels run brass ammo perfect, but won't cycle steel cased. I opened up my gas port a bit on mine. Didn't seem to alter feel or function but I haven't had a chance to run steel through it yet. Ive read the newer DTI barrels have a bigger gas port than when I bought mine 

Thanks for that, blue. I don't run steel in anything I own, but glad to hear they run well with brass.

I'm not planning on running any more than a 1-4x optic on this rifle, at the very most. In fact, I've got my eye on a KAC Micro rear BUIS, and may end up with an EOTech or FastFire.

This is the first firearm that I haven't had a purpose in mind for. I bought my Mini-14 back in '08 for a coyote gun, my .308 AR is a hog/deer gun, handguns for CC, Mossy 500 .410 for clays and general short-range shotgunning, etc., etc. This one is "just because."

Edited by COBrien

After thinking about it some more, I've decided to build the rifle -- err... upper -- "as-is" for now. In the event I decide I'm not happy with the accuracy, I'll give the DCM/NM FF sleeve a try. Honestly, after reading some reviews, I think the HBAR will end up being more accurate than I'm capable of on any given day, unless/until I start handloading.

Pulling the trigger on the next order today.

FA M4 Upper; UPK; delta ring, spring, & snap ring; gas tube & pin; front sight post, detent, & spring. All at 10% off for Fulton Armory's "Winter Service Sale." I'd highly suggest ordering whatever FA parts you need now, as I can't remember seeing anything go on sale there lately.

This will get me a put-together upper (minus HG, BCG, and CH). And my muzzle device...

March will see everything but the BCG, which will be ordered in April.

As an aside, has anyone run an MGI Adjustable Gas Tube? Looks like an interesting part (that is mostly obsolete now that everyone and their dog makes an adjustable gas block...), and something I may try if/when it becomes necessary (i.e., if this rifle becomes over-gassed with a suppressor).

Edited by COBrien

20 minutes ago, COBrien said:

I'd highly suggest ordering whatever FA parts you need now, as I can't remember seeing anything go on sale there lately.

Just a note, on that.  President's Day is coming up, and it's usually Fulton's largest discount of the year, to celebrate the Founding Fathers. You have to be on the mailing list to find out about it, or vigorously check the website to get the info - it's typically 15% off everything they sell.  All other sales are 10%.  In the past, it doesn't get published until the Friday prior, and only runs through that weekend.  :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Just a note, on that.  President's Day is coming up, and it's usually Fulton's largest discount of the year, to celebrate the Founding Fathers. You have to be on the mailing list to find out about it, or vigorously check the website to get the info - it's typically 15% off everything they sell.  All other sales are 10%.  In the past, it doesn't get published until the Friday prior, and only runs through that weekend.  :thumbup:

Ah, nice! Thanks for the heads-up.

I've already placed "this month's" order, but that may be the time to go ahead and order up the rest of my FA parts, including the lower.

Edited by COBrien

22 hours ago, blue109 said:

Probably won't need adjustable gas on a dissy even suppressed. I'd save the money until I tried it out with a standard setup. Less to troubleshoot out the gate in case you have issues.

Good point, and exactly the conclusion I came to after some thought.

I'd love to "build it once" and not worry about it, but methinks a Dissy may be difficult to do that with. Plus I know how I like to constantly fool with things -- just like my Trans Am and my bike, I can't leave any of my guns alone. Nothing is ever "finished" for long...

Looks like this project is going to rest on the back burner for a bit...

For my birthday yesterday, I asked the wife for one thing: Permission to build a rifle. The response was "Not right now, you have several other projects to finish first."

For several reasons, right now is one of those times where permission>>forgiveness. So the barrel assembly and all the other parts will just have to live under my desk at work until I can get the green light.

And then figure out how to introduce those parts to the house as though they've just been ordered....

Thanks for the birthday wishes, fellas!

On a side note, I did order up the ArmaLite Green A2 Furniture Set. I figure for $40 + Shipping (and taxes... WTF, ArmaLite?), I can't go wrong. Plus the green furniture will lend a bit of an "old school" look to the rifle.