COBrien

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/14/2017 at 6:03 PM, jtallen83 said:

Could be worse, a buddy of mine messed around texting me twenty unrelated questions on his build then when he went to order the MBT it was sold out. I explained 65b to him.........you don't have that problem:thumbup:

On 4/14/2017 at 6:40 PM, COBrien said:

You lost me at 65b...

LOOOOOONG time ago.  Something was on sale, someone here went to purchase it, and it was instantly out of stock.  Out of the cheap seats comes Drew, saying...

"That's Lesson 65b.  You snooze, you lose..."   :lmao:

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

LOOOOOONG time ago.  Something was on sale, someone here went to purchase it, and it was instantly out of stock.  Out of the cheap seats comes Drew, saying...

"That's Lesson 65b.  You snooze, you lose..."   :lmao:

In this case you just wait.  My order went in but is still PENDING.  No problem, still have a few weeks to wait for .338 barrel from X-Caliber.

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

I have constant teeth marks in my A$$ from 65B.......

That sounds painful...

Glad I jumped in on the LaRue Easter sale when I did. Wouldn't want to be walking around with half my a$$ missing. Half my stomach, now that wouldn't be so bad...

4 hours ago, COBrien said:

Good news! Just got an e-mail that my LaRue order has shipped.

Seeing as how they're in TX and I'm in OK, I'm hoping to have my box o' triggers by the weekend.

Lucky you.  My order was created at 9:46 AM and is still pending.  At least they were still taking orders.  In any case that trigger is for the .338 Federal build and I am still waiting on the barrel although I did get the pepper pot brake from X-Caliber.

17 minutes ago, EngrBob said:

Lucky you.  My order was created at 9:46 AM and is still pending.  At least they were still taking orders.  In any case that trigger is for the .338 Federal build and I am still waiting on the barrel although I did get the pepper pot brake from X-Caliber.

Makes me happy to see another .338 Fed going together!  :thumbup:

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Makes me happy to see another .338 Fed going together!  :thumbup:

Should be interesting.  I'm using a Blitzkreig Tactical "thin" 80% lower with an Aero M5 upper.  Milling is done and they fit together very solidly - no play at all.  I'm going to try a Tubbs spring with a standard 308 buffer with a relatively heavy TacStar AMRS match stock (to balance the 18" barrel).  I have everything now except the trigger and the barrel.  Based on the last MBT I put in the trigger blade is wider than normal so I may need to tweak the opening after it gets here.

Oops...

616993E6-4A86-46FB-9CA9-4E485EB7D6DB_zps

I tripped, fell, and built the lower tonight. Completely by accident. Then I mocked up the upper. 

The only good news (for my marriage...) is that I do not have the necessary setup to properly torque the barrel nut (don't have a bench-mounted vise or vise block), so the upper won't be completed until I come clean to the wife. 

As an aside (sort of...): I can't remember right now who pointed me in the direction of the MBT, but THANK YOU. I bought all of those triggers purely on faith, and all I can say is SWEET BABY JESUS. I thought the RRA I bought was a good trigger, but the MBT blows it out of the water. 

39 minutes ago, COBrien said:

Oops...

616993E6-4A86-46FB-9CA9-4E485EB7D6DB_zps

I tripped, fell, and built the lower tonight. Completely by accident. Then I mocked up the upper. 

The only good news (for my marriage...) is that I do not have the necessary setup to properly torque the barrel nut (don't have a bench-mounted vise or vise block), so the upper won't be completed until I come clean to the wife. 

As an aside (sort of...): I can't remember right now who pointed me in the direction of the MBT, but THANK YOU. I bought all of those triggers purely on faith, and all I can say is SWEET BABY JESUS. I thought the RRA I bought was a good trigger, but the MBT blows it out of the water. 

Simple, but sexy! I like it! 

• 1 year later...

Finally got this rifle together a couple weeks ago, and took it out Friday afternoon for function testing.

Rifle ran well, but won’t lock back on an empty mag. I’m sure it has something to do with the full auto carrier (it was cheap and readily available at the time I ordered it).

I’m going to take the buffer apart and swap one of the weights for a steel weight from a carbine buffer. Hopefully that’ll get it where it wants to be. If not, I’ll replace another weight. And if that doesn’t work, I’ll bite the bullet and get a semi carrier. 

C9AE7932-BE97-4137-9176-937AB3743049.jpeg

81FD1248-8B9C-488E-9C9F-D5C095047756.jpeg

Edited by COBrien
Spelling & adding photos.

You can modify a rifle buffer, EASY.  It's 1/2" internal diameter, so you only need a piece of 1/2" OD PVC pipe, to remove a weight, and replace it with a piece of PVC of the same length.

I'm telling you right now, that if that is the case - and you need to lighten that buffer to get it to function...  You need to drill up your gas port.  The gas port is too small.  Been down this road too many times, and know it too well. 

Before you do anything to that gun, I'd pull that gas block and measure out the gas port diameter - and post that number in here.

I'm just sayin'... don't exactly know what I'm doin' here, but I'd be drilling that gas port up if it was mine... 

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That thing is a TRUE dissipator, right?  That gas port should be about 0.110"...

Yes sir, it’s a Del-Ton barrel — 16” rifle gas. 

I think I’ll lighten the buffer first, then look into the next step(s).