• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Elftmann trigger WARNING

Thorax

Yea, first post and sad I have to do this way :(

Just finished up a new build.

Mega Megalithic upper and lower

Wilson Combat 16" stainless fluted match barrel and the NiB bolt they sell.

Lots of Magpul, AXTS charger and short throw safety, Odin extended mag release.

Weaver tactical scope in a RR mount.

Took it out to sight in.

Only 1 in every 3-4 rounds would ignite, very light primer strikes.

This is only one of the issues with the Elftmann match trigger I installed in it had, and this is where we come to the warning .....

If you do a correct trigger follow thru with this trigger and release it slowly it WILL NOT catch on the sear notch and will fire on release !!!!!

I'm lucky I had the light strike issue going on or it could have gotten real ugly.

Yes, I have gone thru the install of the trigger many times.

I did go to their website and go thru the install in the manner they deem appropriate.

Yes I did tear the garbage thing apart to see if there was a burr or crud causing the issue (it's not).

I have called Elftmann several times, they do not pick up the phone and you have to leave a message (which I have).

They have not attempted to respond to me in any fashion.

I have fixed the issue myself.

I installed a mil-spec unit and am waiting for a Hyperfire unit to arrive.

Funk Elftmann.

On a lighter note.

With the milspec trigger unit in the thing I have sent 3 bullets thru the same hole at 100 yards (had to really look hard to see the 2nd 3rd slight wipes on the edge of the initial hole).

Easily less than a 1/4" spread.

I was using PMC Xtac match with the 168 SMK.

Kudos Wilson, helluva barrel.

I have never had a more accurate rifle, and I'm an old Marine 2112 armorer so I know it wasn't luck.....it just feels like it.

Still smilin' about that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thorax     I had a hiperfire do the same thing...but I cant remember whether it was in a Mega or not.....I put it in a ar15 and all is well... chances are it was a Mega cause most of my 308's are Mega's...you will know soon enough     :thumbup:      Wash

yep now I remember it was the Mega that the hiperfire didnt work in...follow this post on the elftman and hiperfire

Edited by washguy

4 hours ago, Thorax said:

Yea, first post and sad I have to do this way :(

Just finished up a new build.

Mega Megalithic upper and lower

Wilson Combat 16" stainless fluted match barrel and the NiB bolt they sell.

Lots of Magpul, AXTS charger and short throw safety, Odin extended mag release.

Weaver tactical scope in a RR mount.

Took it out to sight in.

Only 1 in every 3-4 rounds would ignite, very light primer strikes.

This is only one of the issues with the Elftmann match trigger I installed in it had, and this is where we come to the warning .....

If you do a correct trigger follow thru with this trigger and release it slowly it WILL NOT catch on the sear notch and will fire on release !!!!!

I'm lucky I had the light strike issue going on or it could have gotten real ugly.

Yes, I have gone thru the install of the trigger many times.

I did go to their website and go thru the install in the manner they deem appropriate.

Yes I did tear the garbage thing apart to see if there was a burr or crud causing the issue (it's not).

I have called Elftmann several times, they do not pick up the phone and you have to leave a message (which I have).

They have not attempted to respond to me in any fashion.

I have fixed the issue myself.

I installed a mil-spec unit and am waiting for a Hyperfire unit to arrive.

Funk Elftmann.

On a lighter note.

With the milspec trigger unit in the thing I have sent 3 bullets thru the same hole at 100 yards (had to really look hard to see the 2nd 3rd slight wipes on the edge of the initial hole).

Easily less than a 1/4" spread.

Kudos Wilson, helluva barrel.

I have never had a more accurate rifle, and I'm an old Marine 2112 armorer so I know it wasn't luck.....it just feels like it.

Still smilin' about that.

Welcome to the forum feel free to post in the intro forum and tell us about yourself

thanks for the imput, same issue I had I can't remember how they told me to fix it, I actually just sent it to another member and he's going to play with it

question did you mess with the pull adjustment before shooting it? (I did)  Think they told me to tighten it all the way back then try to shoot it again

how I got their attention was I talked shit on their Instagram page, I had a DM in less than a day, another member had the same issue. I hope you stick around and maybe we can figure out how to fix your trigger for you, hope you didn't just stop by to trash them 

Edited by shepp

6 hours ago, Thorax said:

I'm not sure if you want to solve your issue, or just bitch about it.

I can help you solve it.

The Elftmann trigger is very unique in that it has a "half-cocked" position.

YOUR trigger is not catching on the disconnector after firing, and is getting caught on the half-cocked position.  THIS is the cause of your "very light primer strikes." You are firing from the half-cocked position.  Not enough force to do much.

Now,ONE of TWO things is causing this.  Only one of two...  Nothing else...

1.  Poor trigger follow-through.  Jerking the trigger, slapping the trigger, etc.  Not holding it fully to the rear after firing, and through the recoil impulse.

2.  Gross misadjustment of the trigger assembly. The disconnector isn't even given the change of doing it's job, due to the trigger adjustment.

Now, I know you've stated your Marine Corps Armorer 2112 qualifications, and I know you stated something about correct follow-through.  That leaves misadjustment...

Did you fuk with this trigger's adjustments in ANY way prior to installation?  Or did you just drop it in and go?...

Here's the deal.

Whether installed in the rifle, or just held in the hand and operated that way.

Pull trigger and hold, cock hammer back to engage disconnector, release trigger, it fires.....every time.

No matter the setting on the adjusting screw.

It should stop on the sear notch, hell, I'd feel better if it just stopped on the ½ cock notch, it would at least be a bit safer than it is.

You can actually go up top and read the thread topic, I posted this as a warning to others, not to whine, not to bash Elftmann, and not for some other random reason I haven't fathomed that might be passing thru your mind.

I run a upland bird hunting lodge here in Kansas and kinda need the rifle to smoke 'yotes and bobcats at some pretty extreme distances (800 yards is not a uncommon shot on a coyote here). They eat my pheasants, chukar, and quail, they pay with their life.

I attached a pic of said rifle with my little ar15 right next to it.

Sorry, can't give any info on the hush puppy due to a NDA. We're hoping the hearing protection act goes thru, we're looking to market them to a larger audience :)

But yea, Elftmann has had enough time to at least return my call, and he hasn't.

So instead of fighting for non existent support, I'll just go with something else.

20170116_180222.jpg

1 minute ago, Thorax said:

Wow, reading failure, BIG TIME.

Did you even see where I said it was a Mega Arms Megalithic ?

Google that one up because it seems you are quite confused.

Keep the insults up, buddy.  I was referring to your pic, not what you wrote.  You never mentioned a caliber at all in your initial post.

AND...  Did you fuk with it before you put it in and tried it?...

Yep, I was shootin' them thar' 168s in my ar15.

And yea, I've had the damn trigger, in, out, upside down, apart, together, and anything else you can imagine.

It has an adjustment screw,,,to, you know, adjust.

It's not there for looks.

If they don't want you to use it, why put it on the damn thing?

AND, you are the one being rude.

You were in your first post in this thread, the 3rd, the 4th, and the 5th.

I don't have the time for this drivel.....sorry I tried to warn you guys.

Obviously you have some real idiots on here that figure you're posting about a ar15 on a site called 308ar......hmm, lemme think about that one......

33 minutes ago, Thorax said:

Wow, reading failure, BIG TIME.

Did you even see where I said it was a Mega Arms Megalithic ?

Google that one up because it seems you are quite confused.

You must be the one that's confused - you must think that just because the name is "Megalithic," that means it's NOT an AR-15, and cannot possibly be one.  Check this out:

http://www.megaarms.com/ar-15/upper-receivers/mts-440/

21 minutes ago, Thorax said:

And yea, I've had the damn trigger, in, out, upside down, apart, together, and anything else you can imagine.

Obviously you have some real idiots on here that figure you're posting about a ar15 on a site called 308ar......hmm, lemme think about that one......

Yep, you fukked with it, now it doesn't work.  So, you feel like you need to "warn" everybody on every gun site about it.

Seems to me that the real problem is - you don't know what you did, and you can't figure out how to make it work again.  I told you in my first post that I could help. However, I don't think there's any helping you, at all... 

Now, how's that?  Please explain...

Edited by 98Z5V

Thorax you said    "Obviously you have some real idiots on here that figure you're posting about a ar15 on a site called 308ar......hmm, lemme think about that one...... "

Here's somthin to think bout....lemme think......Oh yeah...you're a dik          Spinning middle finger emoticon (Middle Finger Emoticons)          Wash

One would think the manufacturer would contact those who have issues with this FCG , this is not the first customer that has had an issue on this Forum . Seems there is little to none in the customer support dept.. Could it be there are too little staff to handle needed support ?

After reading the Threads on this FCG here on this Forum , I was hard pressed to find any bad reviews of this FCG on the net , but did notice most of the reviews were from 2015 , so did something happen with some of these FCG's in manufacturing ?

I have never liked adj. FCG's for the reason that , a lot of people will mess with them & its seems to almost always come out bad , not saying the Poster here is unqualified , but sometimes things like this FCG are a little complicated in their adjustments & who knows what could have gotten out of wack by making adj. or some of these FCG's are not to spec's from a manufacturing stand point .

It all comes down to Manufacturers support in this case , far too many good reviews & as said , the only reviews with issues were here on this forum. It may also be that there are not that many of these FCG's out there to have a qualifying test for their workability  . I may not of found every review , but I found enough that those who have this FCG ,is happy with it .

From a past experience with another major manufacturer of Triggers ( not Modular ) I can say I not only got an answer to my quarry the same day , but they offered to make the slight modification to the Hammer for free, if I set it to them .  So , until a better manufacturer support for this FCG comes up for the ones here having issues , I will not touch one of these FCG's .

Just my opinion & you'all know I have one :laffs:

10 hours ago, Thorax said:

I basically asked you the same question when I shared my issues with you and welcomed you to our forum, I feel your pain I had the same pains. But this is the only thing you've participated in since joining. If your intent was to come here just to bash the trigger, move on. I'm sure I'll just end up banning you anyways......

If you've come here share knowlage and add to our forum, welcome again.........

Edited by shepp

This close knit group might be a little more receptive to a first post saying " hi fellas, here's my rifle but I had the following issues with the trigger...."

As oppose to " Hur dur this piece of crap trigger will cause global warming and Aids and if you got one to work you must be an idiot!!!!"

Just saying.

I was going to say something... but I forgot Shepp likes this part of his job more than me. I'll let him have he honors if it goes that far  

I can't help but think there's a CMMG part in here that wasn't mentioned. Just call it my gun-racist intuition.

Fact is there are several issues at play here to bring this to a boil. 

1. Having personally played with the Elftmann triggers... not just one or two... all of them... EVERY model they have... including the prototype they designed for a bullpup rifle... I can say that the Elftmann is not a simple "AR-15 trigger". The problem you had isn't unknown and is correctable, but whatever. If you hate it, I'll give you $50 for the trigger.

**Edit: They have a new 7.62x39 trigger I didn't play with....yet!

2. SHOT Show just ended a week and a half ago. Many of the companies stayed several more days in Las Vegas to actually enjoy their weekend. I spent a considerable amount of time with Elftmann at SHOT this year. They were VERY busy.... and VERY tired. CMC and Hyperfire were two of the biggest companies showing at SHOW. CMC was actually a show sponsor. If you tried reaching Elftmann (or any firearms related company) in January, you should have some reasonable expectation to have a delayed response. Your email was likely triaged based on the order it came in. 

Joining a new forum is always difficult, especially when it has members who've contributed YEARS of input. The weight of a product review and opinion is heavily based on the reputation of the writer. Far too often is a disgruntled customer prone to searching out every available forum and then copy/pasting their dirty laundry as a "warning" to others... simply because they had an expectation of Starbucks-style customer service. 

3 hours ago, blue109 said:

As oppose to " Hur dur this piece of crap trigger will cause global warming and Aids and if you got one to work you must be an idiot!!!!"

TIme for a Swedish chef meme!

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^ He's very eloquent.  Loquacious, almost.  :lmao:

Oh he's loquacious alright!  Just wait until you are around him and he has some tender skin lotion.

Wait...what's loquacious mean?