• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Federal Lake City XM80 Ball Ammo? Comments?

GS455

Federal Lake City XM80 Ball Ammo? Comments?

Anyone try this stuff?

Consistency? Average Groups? Better/Worse than Hirt?

I'm a clays on berms, steel plate smacking plinker out to 300yds. For .308/762Nato I shoot M1A, LAR8EO, PTR91, FAL and an Ishapore Enfield.

Barrel twist rate is gonna determine what bullet weights work best, or close.  More than anything else.

Gonna be hard to recommend any " Consistency? Average Groups? Better/Worse than Hirt? " without knowing that info.

Edited by 98Z5V

That LAR8EO is a 1:10" twist barrel.  Most PTRs are 1:10" twist rate, unless you have one of those PTR pistols.  The M1A could be 1:10, 11, 12, who knows. Same on the FAL.

The 1:10" twist barrels will probably shoot a heavier bullet better than the 147-grain stuff. M80 Ball is 147 grain.

You should experiment.

Its milSpec Ball ammo , it will work & in a Barrel in good shape ,it may or may not , print MOA , but will shoot good enough for plinking . As said above , every rifle /Barrel will be different & you will have to try some in each to see how it works .

I like the Brass for my reloads .

Edited by survivalshop

Yea, I bought a 550, tons of peripherals, various powder, primers and bullets for it years ago.  Never set it up.  I never made space on my bench and never wanted to take the time to roll my own.  Been saving brass for years tho.  I have a few sealed 5 gal buckets of .223, .308 and 30-06.  I'll probably make space for it when I set up the new shop in the house we just moved into.

Hang in there GS455, you could come out like me.  I took some time off from competition shooting at 55 pursuing upper management work and being a dad to high school and college students. retired at 62 and restored cars till at 72 prostate cancer got me off track.  Got the itch again,eyes still work good. And at 80 I still pop caps and hit the x- ring as often as not,  forget the standing to prone,  Getting up and down is hell, but where I shoot allows us older service rifle shooters to provide our own shooting bench. It is still fun! I never expected to make it past 75, There aren't too many old brown shoe Marines around. Hell, Mad Dog Mattis was  a Butterbar Lt. when I got out.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

Hang in there GS455, you could come out like me.  I took some time off from competition shooting at 55 pursuing upper management work and being a dad to high school and college students. retired at 62 and restored cars till at 72 prostate cancer got me off track.  Got the itch again,eyes still work good. And at 80 I still pop caps and hit the x- ring as often as not,  forget the standing to prone,  Getting up and down is hell, but where I shoot allows us older service rifle shooters to provide our own shooting bench. It is still fun! I never expected to make it past 75, There aren't too many old brown shoe Marines around. Hell, Mad Dog Mattis was  a Butterbar Lt. when I got out.

Thank you for you encouragement mrmackc.