• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

25-45 Sharps anyone .

survivalshop

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I think this would be an excellent idea - but I'd press them and see if they're going to make the actual 25-45 Sharps die.  If they don't, I think the 6x45 will work fine.

I found an issue with the Lee Seater Die & its why I want to go to something else . Its not a big deal , but with these SGK HP Bullets  ( had no issues with the Speer Hot Core 87 gr. lead spear points )& the semi floating seating stem of the Lee Seating Die , it will sometimes catch on the Stem rim & not seat into the Stem , it catches on the outer rim , because the Flat HP of the SGK . The case & Bullet only have to be out of alignment a little for the Bullet to catch on the rim of the Seating plug . This may be because the floating Shell Holder of the MEC Press , but the way the Lee floating Seating stem is allowed to float with out a guide at some point in the beginning , can be am issue if you don't catch it . I could see a deeply seated Bullet if you are not on your toe's.

The Forster is set up much better , as the photos show  below . The Bullet is held with the case & guided to the Seating stem .

Die Body , Case/Bullet Guide , Spring , Seating Stem & Seating Stem Body 

DSCN3064.thumb.JPG.f5f1c8f5c7f7c28bb2ecb517524c5565.JPG

The Spring hold pressure on the Guide all the way into the Seating Stem Body 

DSCN3065.thumb.JPG.d46a69dfee9463a33b50bc8b8c30f78b.JPG

My concern is the small difference in the case 's may not hold the Bullet/Case in proper alignment . I do have the Seating Die in my Shopping Cart , so when I press the Button we will find out  how it works .

I also need more Brass formed , I have these below to do some accuracy testing & finish breaking in the Barrel .  26.3 gr. H335 & CCI Primer with 90 SGK .  Meets my 2700+fps threshold & has the most consistent ES & SD 

DSCN3059.thumb.JPG.117ba0e39afeab5653f93e6bf00ea1d8.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, survivalshop said:

... because the Flat HP of the SGK .

This, right here.  That is one FAT hole in the end of that 90SGK.  I was surprised at that, looking at it face to face...  I'm running the RCBS dies for this caliber in a 12-year old Rock Chucker single stage, and I'm not having any issues, thus far.  On that note, at this point, I haven't loaded a whole lot of ammo for this thing yet...  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This, right here.  That is one FAT hole in the end of that 90SGK.  I was surprised at that, looking at it face to face...  I'm running the RCBS dies for this caliber in a 12-year old Rock Chucker single stage, and I'm not having any issues, thus far.  On that note, at this point, I haven't loaded a whole lot of ammo for this thing yet...  :thumbup:

I'll disassemble the Lee Die today to show how its a little loose in the Die Body , not a bad Idea to have it floating , but not for some Bullet designs . I catch it when it hangs up , but it slows the process down making sure the alignment is good enough for seating .

Until they come out with something better , this 90 SGK is the Bullet for me to load in the 25-45 Sharps , so I have come up with something .

Edited by survivalshop

Here is the Lee Seating Die disassembled & its a decent idea to have the Seater plug floating , I believe there should be a Guide for it , at least to a certain extent , because it just flops around inside the Top adjuster .

DSCN3066.thumb.JPG.f6d7b784cdd91ed8a5b877f0eef4c069.JPG

DSCN3069.thumb.JPG.e7761a3aa12fd9617ea860920b689715.JPG

DSCN3068.thumb.JPG.073ca03ef049ac92e9d6180b795de3c8.JPG

Look how much play is in the Seater Plug in the Adjuster & the Die Body, there is no guide for the Plug .

DSCN3070.thumb.JPG.19b7a6f77b3b9a4f501cef5edeb13891.JPG

DSCN3071.thumb.JPG.b900fc6df7499e531d1c811fad919776.JPG

Seater Plug in the Die Body assembled with the Adjuster 

DSCN3072.thumb.JPG.0beda898a9c8f263d9223f04c44de20d.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

I tested a couple of the rounds loaded with the Lees Die & the one seated with the Forster with my Concentricity gage , at the Bullet of the loaded rounds  & there was no difference in run out between the two , all had a total 0.003" run out , some could be the Bullet . I get a total of 0.001" from Sierra Match Bullets in a 308. 

I will do some more testing to see if if the Case neck is causing the run out or the Bullet & or both.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I sighted in the Scope on the 25-45 Sharps today , on a very gusty wind day , had my meter going crazy , it would steady out between 5-7 mph & then go up to 20 mph real quick & drop just as fast in a blink of an eye . 

The 90 gr. SGK bullet with H335 @ 26.3 gr. , WW primer & they shot real good , as I wrote in the James Madison Trigger review , ten shot groups , were not small because of the wind , but a lot of them were in the same 1-2 " hole , with that funny wind.

I think the combo of Ammo, Rifle & Trigger did great .