• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

25-45 Sharps anyone .

survivalshop

I will get some Data of my own next week , my Powder will be here Wednesday & I have the brass Primed & ready to go for the new Powders , & 87 gr. Hot Core's & the WC 846 & 90 gr. HP's , some 90 gr. are already loaded , some with Remington Bench rest Primers with a matching load of CCI primers . 

Edited by survivalshop

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The X -Terminator looks & weighs a lot like my WC 846 , I will get to the H335 today for some test loads, both 90 & 87 gr. Bullet loads . Been a Monsoon here last couple of days , have to give the Range a day to dry out a little , probably Friday , I changed the sensitivity setting on my Chrono , so maybe it will work right & I can get some ES &SD readings .

Edited by survivalshop

The H335 is similar to the X-Terminator , may have the same base , but the Volume & weight seems almost the same , can't wait till I see Chrono results , I'm taking both of my Chrono's to the range . 

I'm loading the 87 gr. Speer Hot Cores today in various Charges .

• 2 weeks later...

This BS Monsoon season is good for the yard & garden , but its getting a little old for my wanting to go to the range to test the loads I have made up for the 25-45 . I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow, but the forecast is not looking good , its been over a week with Monsoon rains every day , we need it but its interfering with my normal shooting every week .

I have a long list of loads for the Sharps & 5,56 rounds & I have two scopes to sight in .☔️ The range shooting positions are now all covered , but that won't help my Targets which I need to study, when it rains like this . 

DSCN2913.thumb.JPG.6de92d26b13642d603f00e47bbced2f2.JPG

Chrono worked great after the sensitivity adjustment , so here be some results . I will post Targets later after I photo them .

Light rain , about 10-15 MPH wind at my back & about 80 deg. , five shot groups . Magnetospeed Chronograph.

Powder /Charge wt.    Bullet           Avg. Vel.            ES         SD 

# 1 - WC 846 / 25 gr.  -         90 gr.               2373 fps        41            17

# 2-  WC 846/  25.3 gr.         90 gr.                2412 fps       73            29

# 3- WC 846/  25.6 gr.          90 gr.                2469 fps        63           25

# 4 - WC 846 / 26 gr.             90 gr.                2521 fps       51            22

# 5  -X terminator/ 25.2 gr.     90 gr.                2559 fps.      31            13

# 6 - X terminator / 25.6 gr.    90 gr.                2609 fps        42           17

# 7 - H 335 /  25.2 gr.             90 gr.                 2593 fps        17             7

# 8 - H335 / 25.6 gr.                90 gr.                2632 fps        33            12

# 9 - H 335 / 26.0 gr.                87 gr.                2666 fps        58            25

# 10 -H 335 / 26.5 gr.               87 gr.                 2689 fps        54            20

# 11-  X terminator / 27.0 gr.    87 gr.                 2728 fps        32            12

I did reach my target FPS with the 87 gr. Bullets , but not too impressed with the grouping , not MOA but not bad & these were shot at the end of the range session , even though I had a few min. cool down , because I picked up the spent Brass & logged data & also logged new data & cleared the Chrono display . Barrel was warm at the end , but not hot .

All the Groups with the 90 gr. bullets were really nice , compared to the 87 gr. Bullets , but that may be because I haven't found the right load , but I like the 90's a lot better , the way they performed across the board .

No malfunctions of any kind , didn't add any oil ( 98 special ) ,only ran a bore brush down the barrel before starting testing .& judging by the Thunder , I got home , just in time .

DSCN2920.thumb.JPG.e3f8e1d1c67f56639575962fdcd9c4e4.JPG

DSCN2924.thumb.JPG.6ca2fc623e5f641405b00244090371ad.JPG

DSCN2919.thumb.JPG.133cdaf855bdcf1a6659a9bbb9d38a4d.JPG  

Edited by survivalshop

Looking at the loadings , I need to work on the 87 gr. some more , the 90 gr. , I can go a little more of a charge & the 87 can go more also , but to me with this Barrel max velocity is not going to give the tightest groups . I will work up to max on both Bullets to see where they go .

# 7  with H 335 ,has three Bullets in the same hole ! Also has the best ES & SD of the bunch . Not done yet with the H335 & X Terminator, 98 .

The WC 846 was shooting good with all loads , it seems , might have to try some with the 87 gr.  

Edited by survivalshop

Those are some FANTASTIC results!!!  VERY well done!!!  :thumbup::hail:

Looks like I have a few more powder choices to work with now, so I'll try out some of my H335 and see where it goes.  Looks like it did well for you. 

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Those are some FANTASTIC results!!!  VERY well done!!!  :thumbup::hail:

Looks like I have a few more powder choices to work with now, so I'll try out some of my H335 and see where it goes.  Looks like it did well for you. 

It does look like the H 335 & the X Terminator are good choices . I wonder what the results would be with these loadings & you 18" Barrel . The 87 gr. Speer just didn't impress me , but as I said above , not enough testing . I will make some up & start testing with them next week , it is possible some bore fouling could have effected the results at the end of testing , with a new unseasoned Barrel . 

I looked at the Test Targets a little closer today & their is some good potential with this Barrel , I believe the flyers are all my fault , as usual , there are quite a few groups that have bullets impacts touching each other . I still say the 90'gr. you picked is the way to go .
     I'm not sure if Sharps had laps their Barrels , but is that needed on their Polygonal Rifling ?

I see they have no Barrels in stock & a lot of their ammo is out of stock also .

I formed 40  more 25-45 , cases last night out of once fired LC brass , all need to be trimmed down to 1.750" after forming . I see from the load data that I can go to probably another grain or two on both the H 335 & the X Terminator , so I will work up to close to 28 gr's. with the 87 gr. Speer & 27.5 gr  with the 90 gr. Sierra , just to see how the higher Velocities do as far as Groups & ES & SD .

So far no need for any Muzzle device , this rifle , in this configuration , has little recoil or Muzzle rise , what it will be like at the higher end of the max loadings , I will find out next week . I do need to Rock set that Thread protector , it was loose after the range session .

I will also more the impact point over to the left , seems like all want to shoot a little right of aiming point .

Also have to say the G2S is wonderful .:thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

I had to cancel my Lee Wilson case Head Space Gage for the 25-45 Sharps from Brownells tonight , been back ordered for a Month . Found one at Graf & Sons, but for two $ more. Shows in stock & they are always correct on in stock items . 

I also ordered more 90 gr. Sierra's .

I had to change two items of data on my charge & Powder on the Chrono data . 

# 9  with the 87 gr. SP ,was 26 gr. of H335 , not 25.6 gr.

# 10 with the 87 gr. SP ,was H 335 not X terminator Powder .

My bad , the chart I had in the Ammo container was hard to read & when going over my notes & log , I corrected it in the Post 

Shouldn't effect you 98 , your not using 87gr.  Hot cores.

I have a long list of new loads to test & will post them next week when I test them . I went to three test rounds instead of five , keep the Barrel cooler & I'm low on 90 gr. Bullets until I get my order in.

Its good to find out all my Cases Head Spaced out OK with the LE Wilson Case Gage  .  I was going to load up the X-Terminator with the 87 gr. Speer , but after seeing the Powder level in the case , it would probably be a slight compressed load , so I bypassed the 27.8gr. & 28.1 gr. loadings 

I'm also going to try the Ramshot X-Terminator with 5.56 loads . I could have went to the Range today , but had to get some paper work together for House Refi. . Its been a Monsoon again this week .Hopefully tomorrow morning .

Got brass ready to go, Forming more this week  , once I get the load down pat , I have some already with Bench rest primers after I know the loads for the two Bullets , not sure if the Bench Rest Primers will make a difference , but what the hell .

DSCN2930.thumb.JPG.ba9e44e9e04ceb4489c7b0827b3c69a2.JPG

Some Chrono results below , I can tell you this , with this Barrel ( 20" light ) I will not be buying any more 87 gr. Bullets to lad for it . It could be I haven't found the correct load for that weight , but the 90 gr. Sierra GK's shoot so much better & I had some gusting winds from my left , behind me . The rain held off till I was on the last 5.56 test loads in the 24" Barreled AR & man it came down , I had to fire the last three in a down pour & sprint 100yards to get my Target stand before the Target washed away from it .

25-45 Sharps , COL 2.250"

Powder             wt/charge         bullet                         avg. Vel.                ES                SD      

#1   H335              27.0 gr.             87 gr. Speer              2747 fps                13                 7 

# 2    H335              27.2 gr.            87 gr. Speer             2758 fps                32                17

# 3   H335              27.5 gr.            87 gr. Speer              2784 fps               55                 29

# 4  H335              26.0 gr.            90 gr. GK                   2681 fps                24                 12

# 5    H335              26.3 gr.            90 gr GK                   2717  fps               13                   6

# 6    H335              26.5 gr.            90 gr. GK                   2745 fps                39                  19

# 7    X-Terminator   26.0 gr.             90 gr.  GK                 2657 fps                36                  18

# 8   X-Terminator   26.2 gr.             90 gr. GK                  2682 fps                 43                  24

# 9    X-Terminator   26.6 gr.             90 gr. Gk                   2749 fps                 53                  28

# 10  X-Terminator   27.5 gr.             87 gr. Speer              2768 fps                73                   37

# 11  X-Terminator   27.3 gr.              87 gr. Speer              2718 fps                71                   37

The H335 seems to have better ES &SD , I will have to study the Targets & loads to determine what is the best , but the 90 gr. Sierra shoots the best with both Powders .

I will post the Targets when I photo them , the groups were not as good as I would have liked , but the conditions were different then the last outing . No Malfunctions of any kind with the rifle , all the fired Brass look good , all ejected the to the same place as before .

I'm liking the H335 results, brother!!!  With 3lbs of it on hand, I'm going to have to load some of this up.   I've got about 200 or 225 of the 90 GameKings left, that I was going to load with the RL-7.  I need to rezero the new scope, and check that thing out to 400 yards.  I might will brave it this weekend, and get my a$s out there early, before the heat comes... 

Can't wait to see the targets,specifically the H335 groups, even if not ideal.  Willgive me a frame of reference on the increasing charge weights.  I like the speed you're getting from them.  I need to keep my speeds up, for this thing to have the punch I want at 400.  I want it to make some exploding coyotes for me...   :lmao: 

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm liking the H335 results, brother!!!  With 3lbs of it on hand, I'm going to have to load some of this up.   I've got about 200 or 225 of the 90 GameKings left, that I was going to load with the RL-7.  I need to rezero the new scope, and check that thing out to 400 yards.  I might will brave it this weekend, and get my a$s out there early, before the heat comes... 

Can't wait to see the targets,specifically the H335 groups, even if not ideal.  Willgive me a frame of reference on the increasing charge weights.  I like the speed you're getting from them.  I need to keep my speeds up, for this thing to have the punch I want at 400.  I want it to make some exploding coyotes for me...   :lmao: 

There is a little more room in the case for Powder , but not much . I think the H335 has a little more room then the X-Terminator at those load levels . Whats good about the 90 gr. GK is there Boat tail is , it gives a little more room for Powder .

The second target may have worse groups because by the second test load , it was a 30 knot wind from behind me & to the left & by the time I got to the last 5.56 test loads out, it was a Monsoon . My old ass had to sprint 200 yards to there & back to get my stand .:laffs:

The ES & SD of the H 335 shows much better , but also the X -Terminator Powder was the last to be shot , not sure if it means anything , but ya never know on a new Barrel .

DSCN2934.thumb.JPG.453968d187923db71d567fe93c555546.JPG

DSCN2933.thumb.JPG.8edb864cc693e0be8939890bc884c611.JPG

I was trying to zero the scope in , but quickly found out that the 87 & 90 gr. Bullets shot right & left , depending on which one I zero'ed in on , so I'm going to zero on the 90 gr. GK . I will continue the testing of this box of 87 Speer , but will not purchase any more .

Edited by survivalshop

Using Remington Bench Rest Primers for some of these same loads & testing close to if not max charge weights in some . Will add the X-Terminator test loads when I'm done with them . Some will also be full charges .

90 gr. SGK -- H 335 - 26.3 gr. , Rem. BR Primer 

90 gr. SGK  -  H 335 -  27.0 gr. , Rem. BR Primer ( this is a full charge in the LC Case ) note; will also test these with a std CCI Primer. 

87 gr. Speer HC -H 335- 27.9 gr. , Rem BR Primer ( this is close to , if not a full charge in the LC Case ) Note ; will also test with std , CCI Primer .

90 gr. SGK --  X-Terminator -25.8 gr. - Rem. BR Primer 

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 months later...

Chrono testing from yesterday , the James Madison Tactical Trigger gave me some problems , should have kept the G2S in the rifle , will be changing it out today , I have to send the JMT back to them , they want to tune it properly . He said they had a batch that went out at first that were not calibrated correctly .

BULLET/CAL.     POWDER      WT.          PRIMER        AVG. VEL.             ES                  SD           

87 gr. /25-45        H335         27.9 gr.       Rem. BR         2822                 43                     18      Double fire

90 gr. / 25-45       H335         26.3 gr.        Rem.BR          2696                 26                     13

90 gr. / 25-45        H335         27.0 gr.       Rem. BR         2760                 25                     13

90 gr,/ 25-45         Xterm.       25.8 gr.       Rem. BR         2638                 10                       5

90 gr./ 25-45          Xterm.       26.0 gr.       Rem. BR         2650                 41                      20      Double fire

If you look above at the last Chrono results , the STD CCI hit my target speed & has very good ES & SD with 26.3 H335 , which was better then the ones used with BR Primers .

Edited by survivalshop

On 6/16/2017 at 8:01 PM, 98Z5V said:

For me, this never happened - got too damned hot here.  In fact, the only - ONLY - time I've been shooting since my initial load testing on this 25-45, in this thread, ...   was last weekend.  Fuk, it's been hot here...  :laffs:   Last weekend, I slung lead from shells, and broke that Shockwave in.  :banana:

I need to get out soon, and get that 25-45 to 400 yards on steel...  Damnit!

It gets so damn hot here that you don't even LOAD ammo in the summer - if you do, it comes out all fucked up when you shoot it...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

For me, this never happened - got too damned hot here.  In fact, the only - ONLY - time I've been shooting since my initial load testing on this 25-45, in this thread, ...   was last weekend.  Fuk, it's been hot here...  :laffs:   Last weekend, I slung lead from shells, and broke that Shockwave in.  :banana:

I need to get out soon, and get that 25-45 to 400 yards on steel...  Damnit!

It gets so damn hot here that you don't even LOAD ammo in the summer - if you do, it comes out all fucked up when you shoot it...   :lmao:

The Range now has Fans on manual timers , covered shooting positions on concrete slabs , I pointed two fans on me ( the timer run pairs of fans ) & in was a breeze , pun intended . I'm going today to shoot some more  9mm's after the put the new lenses in my glasses . The range is on the way back home , so why not .

I'm going to load the H335 @ 26.3gr. with CCI std Primers & maybe load the rest of the 87 gr. Speer's I have left with 27 gr. of H335. Through all of this I was not really concentrating on Grouping , because the two different bullets were shooting left or right & I really haven't zero'ed the scope in yet . I plan on doing it with the 90 gr. fodder , because thats the Bullet I plan on using .

And I forgot my rest & bag this past shoot , dooooo !

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Forster today to ask about if they were thinking about making a Die set for 25-45 Sharps , just to put a bug in someones brain . I happen to like their Bench rest Seating Die , between then new MEC Press & Their Seating Die , I get consistently 0.001" Run out on my Concentricity Gage , I have a couple of their seating Dies & I like the way they grip the Bullet & case to guid it all together .

Not that the other brands of Bench rest Dies won't do the same , I have gotten to like the Forster Dies , they were the first to have a Die set available for the 300 BLK  & that were I got my first set to check out .

I have Question , for all you Braineacks , What other Caliber could I use the Seating Die for loading my 25-45 Sharps , Forster has to make it of course . My first thought was 6 mmx45 , because they make that Die Set, but the .25 cal is a little larger in diameter & not sure it will fit correctly into the Forster type of Seating system .  

Or do you think this is a dumbass idea & I should wait till they Make a Die set & just use the Lee Dies I have been , which work fine . I am starting accuracy testing on the load I have settled on , it has the best ES & SD , so should , in theory bet the most consistent . It'd worked for me before , its why I have two Chronographs .:laffs:

.25-45 Sharps

.25-45 Sharps

The 6×45 mm is a wildcat cartridge and has not been standardized by any agency nor has it been offered a proprietary cartridge by any ammunition manufacturer. Some specialty rifle makers such as those that sell varmint rifles offer rifles chambered in this cartridge.[6] Specifications for the cartridge are derived from the necked up parent cartridge without further improvement.

6×45 mm Schematic

The cartridge maximum overall length is nominally given as 2.230-inch (56.6 mm), however, as the cartridge is a wildcat cartridge chamber dimensions may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For this reason overall length of the cartridge may vary.

13 hours ago, survivalshop said:

What other Caliber could I use the Seating Die for loading my 25-45 Sharps , Forster has to make it of course . My first thought was 6 mmx45 , because they make that Die Set, but the .25 cal is a little larger in diameter & not sure it will fit correctly into the Forster type of Seating system . 

I think this would be an excellent idea - but I'd press them and see if they're going to make the actual 25-45 Sharps die.  If they don't, I think the 6x45 will work fine.