• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 build - bad headspace???

SNKEBIT

Put my barrel on my upper and followed all the steps the measuring headspace. Bought a set of gauges, go, no go, and they both closed on the gauges with just thumb pressure. I measured the gauges with a micrometer and cant find any difference in them. Sorry, don't have the brand in front of me.  Faxon barrel, dpms modeled upper and lower from AMT 80%. Wilson BCG. Barrel nut torqued down. 

Possible I have a bad gauge set? 

I know, I know, you guys need a shitload more info..................

HEADSPACE GAGE INSTRUCTIONS 

The Forster Headspace Gage is designed to ensure accurate testing of chamber headspace. Headspace is the distance between the face of the breech and the base of the cartridge when the action is closed. Safety and accuracy are threatened when excessive headspace exists. 

For best results with bolt action rifles, remove the extractor from the bolt. The bolt must work freely in the receiver. It is impossible to have the proper feel for a gage if the bolt is tight or sticky. 

Insert the proper gage into the action. Attempt to close the bolt on the gage. CAUTION — Never force the bolt closed on a gage. A rifle with correct headspace should close easily and without feel on the GO gage, but should not close on the FIELD gage. If it does close on the NO-GO gage, but not on the FIELD gage, the rifle may still be serviceable. However, it is not advisable to use it for best accuracy with factory ammunition. CAUTION — Any rifle that will close on the field gage may have dangerously excessive headspace and should not be fired under any circumstances. 

Three lengths of Headspace Gages are available per caliber: 

GO length — This checks the rifle to see that the chamber will accept the cartridges made to maximum SAAMI specifications. 

NO-GO length — This is used by most gunsmiths as a maximum headspace gage when chambering a rifle’s headspace dimension. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gage, it may have excessive headspace. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gage, it may still be within the SAAMI Rifle Chamber tolerance. Next, it should be checked with a FIELD gage. 

FIELD length — If a rifle closes on a FIELD length gage, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. This is the longest of the three gage lengths. 

Custom-length Forster gages are available. A grinding fee will apply. Call, fax, or e-mail us with inquiries for special gages. 

GO, NO-GO, and FIELD length Headspace Gages are available in the following calibers: 

For rimless calibers — 22 PPC, 220 Swift, 222 Rem., 222 Rem. Mag., 22-250 Rem., 223 Rem., 243 Win., 244 Rem., 250 Sav., 25-06 Rem., 257 Rob., 270 Win., 6mm PPC, 6.5 x 55 SKAN, 6.5 x 55 Swede, 7mm-08 Rem., 7mm Mauser, 280 Rem., 284 Win., 30 Carbine M1, M1A1, M2, M3, 30-06, 308 Win., 8mm x 57 Mauser, 358 Win. 

For rimmed calibers — 219 Wasp & Zipper, 22 Rimfire, 22 Sav. H.P., 25-35, 275 Mag., 303 Br., 300 Mag., 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 32 Win. Sp., 32-40, 375 Mag., 38-55, 30 Carbine. 

Thank you for purchasing a Forster Precision Product. Please wear safety glasses. 

Forster Catalogs are available upon request. 

5 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

I believe another member in the forum had the same issue with the same brand of gauges and same brand barrel. I think the barrel and bolt were sent to Faxon to check and they said it was good to go. I would try the gauges they recommend.

Will do!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, SNKEBIT said:

Tested with gauges that Faxon uses, good to go!!!!!!!  Got it all back together and waiting for the rain to quit so I can try it out......:thumbup:

Feel like a frog, been raining pretty much for a week here.....................

Week, it's been raining down here for like two months straight it feels like. Just about every other day, bout to hang myself

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, shepp said:

Week, it's been raining down here for like two months straight it feels like. Just about every other day, bout to hang myself

I was being optimistic saying a week, you are right, been freekin raining forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, finally got to shoot my build. Shoots pretty accurate. But,,,,,,,,,  no rhyme or reason, will not grab to eject the fired shell. The ejector doesn't grab the shell? Tries to jam another in its place. Empty still in barrel.  Unjam it, pull clip, reset charge handle, empty comes right out like it should.  Ejector clip bad? Wilson bolt assy.

3 hours ago, SNKEBIT said:

OK, finally got to shoot my build. Shoots pretty accurate. But,,,,,,,,,  no rhyme or reason, will not grab to eject the fired shell. The ejector doesn't grab the shell? Tries to jam another in its place. Empty still in barrel.  Unjam it, pull clip, reset charge handle, empty comes right out like it should.  Ejector clip bad? Wilson bolt assy.

A D.Wilson BCG ?    

If so , change the Extractor to a authentic DPMS Extractor , I had the same issue with one used in a build & there have been a couple others . This is not because of a bad or flawed machining process, its because of Tolerance Stacking with some 308AR rifles , no standards & some just don't play well together .

As a matter of fact , I had some posts on the subject , somewhere around here .

Edited by survivalshop

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

A D.Wilson BCG ?    

If so , change the Extractor to a authentic DPMS Extractor , I had the same issue with one used in a build & there have been a couple others . This is not because of a bad or flawed machining process, its because of Tolerance Stacking with some 308AR rifles , no standards & some just don't play well together .

As a matter of fact , I had some posts on the subject , somewhere around here .

Thank you!!  I will hunt down DPMS ex pin!!

7 hours ago, SNKEBIT said:

Thank you!!  I will hunt down DPMS ex pin!!

I hope you mean , Extractor ? The Extractor Pin & Spring system should be fine . I also have heard the new DPMS II replacement system that works in the LR series of DPMS rifles , works good also . These Extractors are not cheap , no matter which one you get.