• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M1A SOCOM

The Father

Have a standard M1A which shoots the iron sights great out to the 400 yard range, about the limit of my ability see way the hell out there.

now the SOCOM isn't much good to me past 100 yards. The front is almost like having your thumb out and sighting something in. That front blade is just to damn fat. Really kinda disappointed Springfield Armory doesn't offer an alternative set of sights. Putting any type of optic on that forward rail is awkward. Recoil on the SOCOM is really soft, easy to re-acquire the target after each round. The rifle is fun to bang away with, but not much past the 100 yards. Rifle is pricey for range limits it has in my opinion. But, what are ya gonna do. IMG_0933.thumb.JPG.942906fc174e91969c0dd2d6862209a0.JPG

Check out what some of us have done with our M1A rifles on another thread, but 400 yards ain't bad for standard M1A.  NM sights are a bit better IMHO.

I am laid up with a broken hip and haven't got to break in my new NM Springfield M1A. 

mrmackc is right. I have a standard "loaded" M1A with the NM front sight blade, and it helps a lot, You can probably pick one of those up from SA. With 68 year old eyes, I popped a 1x6 power scope on it which is just about right. My scope mount is just high enough I can still use the irons. Have to wait at least a month post shoulder surgery before I can shoot again. Nice looking pooch.

I called Springfield and the sites on the standard M1A will not work on the SOCOM model of the M1A.

Springfield told me to look at after market iron sights maybe or a red dot. I am not knocking the rifle, I should have considered option before hand. Great rifle to shoot, it is a blast, literally. I could scope it from the stripper clip location, but that is another can of worms. The forward mounted red dot is kinda funky to use, some people really love that set up. The Standard M1A is great with irons. I would take a safe full of M1's any day.

Here is the exact quote from Michael B at Springfield customer service

"we really don't have another sight than what ships out on the rifle(SOCOM). You might want to try Brownells, Midway USA, and Cheaper Than Dirt for different iron sight."

If anyone has a idea out there let me know. 

• 8 months later...

I had a Dealer sample M14 when I was an FFL , it was nice , but full auto dumps were kinda all over the place , even for the most experienced ( select fire )shooters. My FN HB was a dream in full auto dumps compared to the M14 , because of its weight , most could keep them all in the general area .

I had two M1A's in my day & I love the rifle in semi auto only, this Socom is very quick to swing up to sighting , the std M1A was much slower , it seemed the Socom was a natural to me , so its why I picked it over the other M1A . I also like the wood better then the Plastic , but the Socom looks great & I can live with the Black stock .:thumbup:

And to think , I almost walked out with a Gen. 5 Glock , till I looked at the other wall in Top Gun & the M1A's have been out of stock for a while , they just got those two in the other day , I know because I stop by there when in the area & I was just there last week before Christmas .

I would have walked out with it , but because of Hurricane Irma , I have to replace my roof & my deductible is $ 5698.00 + another almost 1K for the upgrades , total roof cost $ 14,727.00, so needless to say I have to wait a little to play with my new Socom .

They put the material up yesterday & were to start today , but we have a rain delay till tomorrow :lmao:

IMG_2311.thumb.JPG.22ab9ba8f477a27108040a1836b5a681.JPG

I want a US MBR set , I have a 1903A3 , M1 Garand , the Socom will stand in for a std M1A(M14 ) & I'm building a AR 15 A2 with a Tactical Machining Second Amendment Lower Receiver & I have two complete A2 Uppers & I will use one for the A2 . 

Then I have to look for a M1 Carbine .

Edited by survivalshop

11 hours ago, Sisco said:

Standard wood stock M1A loaded with NM trigger, stainless barrel, nonhooded match sights, are $1699 around here.

Thats what I paid for the Socom , Looked around a couple days ago & the prices were all over the place & mostly out of stock .

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'll have one someday.  I'm also torn between the Scout and the SOCOM model.  Whichever one it is, it'll have this stock, though...  (Who knew?...)

AA9620.thumb.png.8fa311786f2eaa1c2db59e464e2846db.pngAA9120.thumb.png.4104b4c2edc4159e81a83118e2d7cfdb.png

I emailed SA to see if they have that color available for just the stock , I like it also & the Black , really doesn't matter to me , but if the FDE Stock is reasonable , I will pick one up , maybe even keep the Black Upper HG with it . Maybe .

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

***My FDE Powers are growing stronger...***   :thumbup::laffs:

:hail:

Here is from SA , & I didn't know Drew worked for them :laffs:

Drew S <drews@springfield-armory.com>

9:46 AM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
 to me
cleardot.gif

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Springfield Armory.  Yes we do sell the M1A replacement stocks.  The FDE color stock would be part number FB5820 and retails for $170.00.  You can contact us here at customer service and someone will be able to get that item on order for you.  Our customer service number is 800-680-6866.

Thank you,

Drew S | Customer Service

Springfield Armory®

420 West Main Street

Geneseo, IL 61254

Robocop take a look at the JAE 100 G3 stock it is pretty awesome, I had an LRB M25 built for me in one of them. The thing cost me 4K back in 2014 it was a coming home gift to myself. The PRNY is almost as bad as CA when it comes to Semi auto rifles. I have the thing out to Jay Wolfe right now getting rebarreled with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Hopefully I will have it back in about 6 weeks.

1 hour ago, dsdmmat said:

Robocop take a look at the JAE 100 G3 stock it is pretty awesome...

Yeah... Every self-respecting gunnut knows the JAE... I just don't have enough salvageable organs I can sell on the black market to afford one. The +$700 (probably closer to $1k) I plan on dropping for a Blackfeather is going to cost me dearly enough.