• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rob-O-Cop's .308 Build

Robocop1051

I finally got my lazy a$$ over to the FFL and picked up my SI Defense 308 set (and my Mega AR15 Billet Ambi lower, but that's for another post).

OH MY GOD! I'm in love all over again. Josh and Adyn Sonju, of SI Defense, walked me through a custom job, that I am very VERY satisfied with...

Here she is, an SI Defense "Fail Zero" upper and an SI Defense "Dark OD Green" lower...

d858e8da.jpg

5a37ec97.jpg

db3a88e9.jpg

6503ae1d.jpg

d2c85682.jpg

fd53e635.jpg

85029bae.jpg

The "Fail Zero" coating on the upper is silky smooth. Looking at it first hand I wish I had the whole receiver plated in "Fail Zero". It is so smooth and soft feeling, similar to other "Teflon" type plated aluminum (my wife's cookware comes to mind).

I sent my handguard out to the paint shop for some OD Grn Duracoat... I already ordered my carbon fiber barrel from Jense Precision/XPA... And i pre-ordered my "Fail Zero" BCG from Si Defense. I should have everything I need to finish my build.

I decided to put my B.A.D.A.S.S. on my AR15 since it was black. I'll nee to order a new one for my .308. I just need to decide if I want a OD green selector to match my lower, or a gun metal grey selector to match my upper and contrast my lower... Wow, if i were talking about anything other than a rifle right now, I'd expect my sexual orientation to be in full debate right now. I'll order up the new selector this week.

I have one itty-bitty snag right now... I lost (or used, which is more likely the case) my last buffer retention plunger and one take-down detent pin. Ah, my kingdom for a detent pin! Will this project ever reach completion???

• 6 months later...

DANGER CLOSE!!

I just got an update from Josh Sonju at SI Defense. My "shot peened" NiB bolt is finished :banana: and ready for shipping. I also picked up a stainless NiB barrel extension while I was at it. (still waiting in line for my stainless NiB bolt carrier)

I also just finished talking with Mike Degerness Jense Precision/XPA and my carbon fiber wrapped barrel is nearing completion... Pending the delivery of the bolt.

Nice thing about these two is SI-D and Jense Precision are only 17 miles apart from eachother!!! <thumbsup> Hopefully the bolt mates well to the barrel and I'm good for the assembly of my upper :sniper:

• 2 months later...

Oh the woes of custom parts :'(

Many of you are aware of my order for a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Well, 11 months later it's still not here.

I called the barrel company up. I was horrified to find out the guy building my barrel quit without telling anyone about my build. Luckily the company was more than accommodating and we quickly figured everything out.

Hope to have better news soon.

Well...

I had my eyes set on a IOR Valdada "Spartan" 2-12x36. I almost bought it too. Then I saw it had a mil dot center :puke:

Now I am seriously looking at a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 with the Velocity 600 reticle. I haven't decided if zero stop is worth the extra $150 yet.

Also, stay tuned for a 300 blackout update <thumbsup>

The company, Jense Precision (aka: XPA), was on top of their game when it came to finding my items. The employee apparently just walked out on them two weeks ago. When I talked to the company they explained that he had pulled my order, then never put it back in for production when he left. I was left hanging in limbo. They explained that they kept records of my order and down payment. The company has been very accommodating to me.

There seems to be some kind of weird karma involving having a carbon wrapped barrel made. I remember when I ordered mine from ABS (no longer in business) I spent a year waiting for it to be finished. During that time I heard excuses that ranged from "we're giving priority to the military orders", to "it wasn't worked on because I as in the hospital due to a problem with some oral surgery". At one point I was unable to contact them, and when I finally did,  found that they had moved theire shop (I had been told beforehand that they were going to be moving, so it wasn't a complete surprise).  Based on my, and now your, experiences with this, I'm thinking that getting one of these barrels involves a LOT of aggravation. I know Jense has been around for a long time and has a good reputation so I'm sure you'll see it eventually, it just seems to me that it shouldn't be such an ordeal. Hopefully you'll feel that it was all worthwhile in the end. Good luck with it.

I think that when you decide to purchase something that is custom made to your specs, you should understand going in, that it may take longer than the manufacturer initially estimates for it to be made, it's just the nature of custom work. As long as the company is reputable things uually work out OK in the end. It's just frustrating when your told that your part will be finished by a certain date and when it's not, the company doesn't keep you informed as to the status and reason for the delay. I'm presently dealing with a similar situation with the JAE stock I ordered last year. I was originally told 10 months, and now I'm hearing (from sources other than the manufacturer) that it will be more like 12-14 months. I'm sure I'll get it, it's just a question of when. I guess if you want something custom made you just have to be willing to deal with the delays that inevitably seem to be associated with this type of stuff.

Hope you don't think that was my intention when I mentioned the stock, but since you've opened the door, LOL.....  I, also think that they're beautiful stocks, and am hoping it will help in my pursuit of accuracy in the M1A platform. If I get mine before you go for one, I'll post my opinion on it, If you get one first, please do the same. I think the wood stocks look really beautiful, but I also think that there are some options out there these days that are functionally better. I keep hearing that the JAE's are really heavy, so if that's an issue to you with the Scout, you may want to c/o some of the other stocks. I might recommend the Blackfeather aluminum chassis stock. It looks to me as though the aftermarket for the M1A is starting to take off. Although I don't think it will ever match the AR's popularity, I do think that it's getting to the point where you can build them amost any way you want, from 16"-22", and these aftermarket stocks are helping with the optic mounting problems associated with the platform.

Wood is bueatiful to look at as well as a skull crusher, and door smasher.The test on collapseable stocks was a really eye opener.There was a guy with an M1A in a aftermarket chassis and a F1 bipod that looked sturdy as hell,10" wide on each side like bridge spans. <munch>

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone with Jense Precision / Xtreme Precision Armament / Proof Research (how many names does one company need?) with an update on my ABS carbon fiber wrapped barrel... Barrel wrapped, rough finish complete, ready for final finish and fitting. 4-6 weeks out still....  :'( :drool: