• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Too early to start my Christmas list?

ChaoticReason

I love reading about stuff I didn't know was out there! Has anyone run across any of these before? http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/02/utas-xtr-12-12-gauge-ar-shotgun-nra-17/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-05-06&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

I wonder if I could get an upper that would fit on my Gen 2 lower, or if I'd have to get the whole thing? Other than the flared mag well, is there any differences in the lowers from the LR's to the Gen 2 models?

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.PNG

There's that archaic BATFE guidance that you can't make a pistol from a rifle.  If it starts as a rifle, it can only be a rifle.  However, if you start with a pistol, it can be rifle later, and convert back to pistol.  Back when pistols were starting to become the rage, that was in one of their "determination letters" on a specific design (Thompson Contender, I think...).

Other than that ^^^ interfering with anything, I don't know of anything else out there.

Might have to check the BATFE rules and guidance on smooth-bores...

***  I'm not a lawyer, and anything in this statement should not be construed as legal advice...

11 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

There's that archaic BATFE guidance that you can't make a pistol from a rifle.  If it starts as a rifle, it can only be a rifle.  However, if you start with a pistol, it can be rifle later, and convert back to pistol.  Back when pistols were starting to become the rage, that was in one of their "determination letters" on a specific design (Thompson Contender, I think...).

Other than that ^^^ interfering with anything, I don't know of anything else out there.

Might have to check the BATFE rules and guidance on smooth-bores...

***  I'm not a lawyer, and anything in this statement should not be construed as legal advice...

Just imagining a short barreled upper that could be dropped on a 308AR pistol. 

Wasn't there some contravercy a few years back cuz someone was trying to put sig braces on short barrel shot guns and calling them "pistols". But short barrel shot guns can only be short barrel shot guns weather they have a pistol grip or not they're a "sawed off"

I read update up on NFA rules. 

An AOW is a pistol/revolver with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell. 

To be a "pistol" the shotgun can never have had a stock on it. Only a pistol grip. 

In order to fall under the Taurus Judge exemption, we'd need a rifled barrel. 

Come to think of it... there's no ruling to how rifling is done... so if my 12" barrel had a 1:36 or 1:48 twist, that'd still be rifled... debate?

what if the rifling was VERY shallow, being nothing more than a visual presence, and at a 1:1 twist, so it passes the rifling faster than the rifling can effect the shot???

debate

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

Come to think of it... there's no ruling to how rifling is done... so if my 12" barrel had a 1:36 or 1:48 twist, that'd still be rifled... debate?

what if the rifling was VERY shallow, being nothing more than a visual presence, and at a 1:1 twist, so it passes the rifling faster than the rifling can effect the shot???

debate

So a rifled slug barrel "should" be exceptable

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Perhaps if it were permanently attached??? I can't find anything that says how much rifling is needed. 

In other news... here's some pics of the XTR-12 with a .308 mag inserted  

IMG_4353.JPGIMG_4354.JPG

owner doesn't have a compatible LR308 upper to function check  

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The DPMS Gen 2 stuff is worlds apart from the LR308 parts.

I dad how the upper was different, and the BCG and whatnot, but how is the lower different?

I showed my wife the video that @Robocop1051 posted, and she was like, "Oh, there's ANOTHER gun you want..." ? 

I never thought of a 12 gauge pistol... Very interesting! I like the way y'all spitball ideas around. :hail:

21 hours ago, ChaoticReason said:

So only a G2 upper will work with it? 

Ummm, if I understand your question - the DPMS G2 upper will only work with, and fit, the DPMS G2 lower... 

Not completely sure what you were asking...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Ummm, if I understand your question - the DPMS G2 upper will only work with, and fit, the DPMS G2 lower... 

Not completely sure what you were asking...

I have a DPMS Gen2 AP4, and I was wondering if a UTR-12 upper would work with my lower? Or if any other DPMS LR upper would work with it? Or will I have to wait till they release their Gen2 stripped uppers to make a new rifle?

7 minutes ago, ChaoticReason said:

I have a DPMS Gen2 AP4, and I was wondering if a UTR-12 upper would work with my lower? Or if any other DPMS LR upper would work with it?

Those uppers will not work with a G2 lower.  Only DPMS G2 uppers will work with DPMS G2 lowers.  Period.

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Those uppers will not work with a G2 lower.  Only DPMS G2 uppers will work with DPMS G2 lowers.  Period.

So much for my hopes of building a 45 Raptor and getting a UTR-12 upper to put on top. Guess I'll just have to convince my wife that I need to get another rifle. ?