• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I think I'm building another one...

98Z5V

Shiit.  I think I'm building another 308...

This thing right here has been out for a couple years, but I never knew it until it was mentioned in an intro thread. 

AR103GN13.png

I don't like the buttstock, but the rest of the rifle is solid - but I can build it cheaper, and a little better, for under the $2200 MSRP of it.

This sucks...

I'll keep track of costs...

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just added up all major components.  $1160.53.  That number includes the Armalite 13.5" barrel, brake, and Armalite AR-10 BCG, as well as Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension parts.  Receivers, rail, buttstock, LaRue MBT trig...

Still need to add a pistol grip, iron sights, and PA red dot.  Shiit.

Edited by 98Z5V

32 minutes ago, GRA said:

Between this one and EngrBob's .338 this is going to be interesting to see develop.

The .338 Fed is a sweet shooting large frame AR.  I finally knocked out a 16" .338 Fed not long ago. Turns out it was a 560-day build.  Not acceptable...  :laffs:

4 minutes ago, sketch said:

Gra... yuor not using the enabling force to its full potential? .... ?

I belive 98 is holding out for the  good er,  of the people. Hahaha crap already used the hornes!..:fullauto:

Sheeeeeit, big-boring the .308 Win with the .338 Fed is what led me down the road of big-boring the 5.56 to a damn 25-45.  The .338 Fed was the shiit for the standard Win cartridge, so why not try out a bigger 5.56?... 

I'm not instigating, or anything...  Swear...  :evil:

6 hours ago, sketch said:

Gra... yuor not using the enabling force to its full potential? .... ?

I belive 98 is holding out for the  good er,  of the people. Hahaha crap already used the hornes!..:fullauto:

LOL ... maybe not but I still have a .308 Dissipator to build before I even begin to think of something else.  Sad part of it is there is NOWHERE around here I could even get close to putting a .338 caliber to the test.  There really isn't any place close to get the most out of the .308 for that matter.

Regardless it is going to be fun to watch these upcoming big caliber builds. :thumbup:

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Armalite's tunable 308 competition brake.

I've seen a couple poor reviews on that brake, mostly complained it was oversized and the tuning did not really have any effect. Can't seem to find them now, one was a review of the factory rifle, The Truth About Guns site.

Are not you always , "thinking of building another one "?     I sure am , I'm diseased , I'm usually two behind in my head , damn things keep changing on me !:laffs:

Was more in line of thinking my next build in 308 size rifle , would be in the smaller framed version, similar to the DPMS G2 , I'm not even sure you can get a Receiver set to use to build with .

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how they mathed this one out. 13.5" barrel, pinned and welded brake, meets the 16" requirement.  Well, I certainly know now - the brake is HUGE!

OAL on the brake is 3.438", and max internal threaded depth is 0.850". Even if the 13.5" barrel has a threaded end that's 0.850" long, the brake will still add 2.588" to the barrel length, when permanently attached.  That's a 16.088" overall length.  :thumbup:

The brake came with 6 drill-able inserts, and timing shims to set it up.  Very nice.  Barrel gets here Tuesday.

This will escalate quickly.  :laffs:

P1050655.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That is a nice clean looking build. Interested to hear how tuning the muzzle break goes.

Question: You noted you don't like the Luth adjustable stock that the original Armalite model comes with. A few years ago someone, I think it was Blue or Planeflyer, had got one and said the same thing. I am curious as to why. At a price and weight a lot less than a comparable Magpul, I was thinking of going that direction if I ever went for an adjustable stock for my AR 10's and 15's. Just curious why you don't like it. Could save myself some money and dissatisfaction maybe.

Edited by Sisco

I think the stock would be great for weight savings over the MagPul PRS, without a doubt - Randy Luth nailed it with that stock.  Would be great for the competition crowd, too, for setting up a 3-gun rifle perfectly, and keeping weight down.  I don't see a need - for me - to have adjustable comb or length on a light(er) weight rifle.  Length? Sure, collapsible stock on a 6-position receiver extension.  Solved.  With the plethora of optics mounts out there, you can get your scope as low as you need on an AR platform without adjustable comb.  I definitely see the benefit on a precision rifle, including a precision AR.  My $0.02.  :thumbup:

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Measured the gas port - 13.5" barrel, midlength-ish gas system, using a port size of 0.081".    We'll see how she runs. 

We need a sticky or what ever you call the thumb tack threads , just for reference of Port sizes & any alterations or outcome of them .

6 hours ago, survivalshop said:

We need a sticky or what ever you call the thumb tack threads , just for reference of Port sizes & any alterations or outcome of them .

We've been saying this for years now...   :thumbup: