• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Army thinking of bigger bullet

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, blue109 said:

just read about how bad the ISIS problem is getting over there.  Bet they are regretting giving us the boot now.

I don't claim to know everything that happened in the Philippines, but they were having to put up with weird stuff from the Obama administration. Kicking the US out... I could only image.

As for another caliber - I like reading what you guys bring up.

Edited by ecott

6 minutes ago, ecott said:

I don't claim to know everything that happened in the Philippines, but they were having to put up with weird stuff from the Obama administration. Kicking the US out... I could only image.

I got the fuk out and retired before that Piece Of Shiit President was EVER my Commander in Chief, and I'm happy I did...  I can't imagine serving in any branch of the Armed Forces under that Complete Asshead ShiitBag, Barrack FukNuts Obama.

So, on that note, I'll bet you're right - the policy over there HAD to be completely jacked.  For the initial phases of that operation, it was pretty straight-forward - under Bush 2.    :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Looks like this topic is coming back up, but instead of generalities, they're finally getting specific.  6.5mm projectiles.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/01/17/army-chief-talks-plan-services-next-battle-rifle.html?ESRC=army-a_180124.nl

Army Chief Talks Plan for the Service's Next Battle Rifle

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley on Wednesday offered a few more details about his plan to equip combat units with a new rifle capable of delivering up to 10 times the lethality of the service's current infantry weapon.

Milley first mentioned his vision for the service's future individual combat weapon in October at AUSA 2017.

Speaking at a Jan. 17 Association of the United States Army breakfast, he again said the service is looking at a promising technology, capable of outperforming the current M4 carbine.

"We have a good rifle now; it's a capable rifle and it's easily the match of any other rifle around the world," Milley said. "But we have the possibility of developing a small arm for infantry forces and cavalry forces ... that can reach out to much greater ranges than [current weapons] with much greater impact on lethality and with much greater accuracy."

Milley did not name the system but the more he spoke, the more it sounded like he was talking about Textron Systems' new Intermediate Case-Telescoped Carbine, chambered for 6.5mm.

The working prototype evolved out Textron's light and medium machine guns that fire 5.56mm and 7.62mm case-telescoped ammunition developed under the Lightweight Small Arms Technology program.

Over the last decade, the Army has invested millions in the development of the program, which has been rebranded to Textron's Case-Telescoped Weapons and Ammunition.

Textron's cased-telescoped ammunition relies on a plastic case rather than a brass one to hold the propellant and the projectile, like a conventional shotgun shell.

"The hinge here is the weapon's operating system and the type of ammunition used," Milley said.

The 6.5mm case-telescoped ammunition weighs 35 percent less and offers 30 percent more lethality than 7.62mm x 51mm brass ammunition, a much more potent round than the M4 carbine's 5.56mm ammunition, Textron officials maintain.

Textron officials say they are using a low-drag "representative" 6.5mm bullet, while U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, or ARDEC, is developing the actual projectile. Textron officials say the new round retains more energy at 1,200 meters than the M80A1.

The Army has conducted research and testing with industry partners at Fort Benning, Georgia -- home of the Maneuver Warfare Center of Excellence -- but Milley would not give a specific timeline on further development and possible fielding.

"It is an excellent system; they have done some proof of principles on it," he said. "It is real. It is not fantasy, and industry is moving out quickly. And we expect with appropriate funding we should be able to have this particular weapon in the not-too-distant future."

daaamn im glad I saw this....now it settles my argument with my bff.....6.8 spc for the squad....and the 6.5 creedmore for long range stuff..  that would be my choice.........man he's almost had me hornswagled to get a .224 valkrie  for long distance....my pellet rifle has more lead than the .224 Val....but I can t get enough pumps on the Benjamin to get the velocity up there with the Val       Wash

98Z    you know the 6.8 wins over the Hansel and Grendle 6.5  :laffs:   I take it all back...I would not even come close to winning this "whats the best 6.8 or6.5 "   with you .... I give you win....and I need the .260 over that .224 Val don't I? :thumbup:     Wash

Edited by washguy

The logistics of changing ammunitions in the military would be astronomical , not to mention the weapon platforms to accommodate it. I don't see it happening in my life time .

As was said , if your pipsqueak .22 can reach out & touch the enemy , use other calibers in the inventory , in greater numbers . 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, survivalshop said:

The logistics of changing ammunitions in the military would be astronomical , not to mention the weapon platforms to accommodate it. I don't see it happening in my life time .

As was said , if your pipsqueak .22 can reach out & touch the enemy , use other calibers in the inventory , in greater numbers . 

These same arguments come up every time the military has switched calibers since the 30/40 Krag.  It's time to come into the 21st century. There is so much money wasted now by the defense department, what's a couple billion more? Maybe 4 less F35's?