• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Build Problem

Kyblue82

Just confirming , has you issue been failure to feed  & now you have a failure to Eject also .

OK , your BCG is locking back on last round , correct ?

Even when you have this failure to Eject ?

You say after about five rounds ?  

Your photo in your second post shows Failure to Feed , looks like Bolt over & round is being fed with the Bolt Carrier , not the Bolt , that may be a Magazine or Magazine catch or the BCG is no cycling back far enough to properly feed the Cartridge .Try a Steel Mag. DPMS or C Products , a good choice would also be a Lancer L7 . (If you can't find one , I can send you one or a couple of these Brands to test .)

We have seen some builds do not like PMags or the Mag. i, may not set high enough in the Mag Well to have the Cartridges to be fed properly .

After inspecting & confirming what Buffer system components you have ,Try loading one round in the mag & see if the BCG locks back one just the one round , then two & so forth till the Rifle Fails or you can get through 10 rounds . 

If you lock back after last round in mag , there is a good chance its not a Gas system or Buffer system issue , But saying that , we have seen some wrong components , even from the big name Venders .Inspect as shown in Washguy's post above .

Also the Bolt components should be disassembled inspected , Debris could be in the hole for the Ejector or I have seen short Ejector Springs & also Bad Extractor or too much Extractor spring pressure , holding onto the fired Case longer then it should .

Also something you may want to think about if all the above checks out ok , the fact that this is happening when the Chamber is warmed up a little , the Chamber may be too tight or a little rough & holding on to the case a little too long.  Use good factory ammo for testing , leave the hand loads for later , if you plan on rolling your own .

Inspect all then test fire for effect .

You have to be patient , this is difficult trouble shooting from a Computer & it will work out , probably something simple & it may be more then one issue , because you have not had the pleasure of the action working long enough to see them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyblue        after looking at your pics ive determined that you have OOS.....over oiler syndrome....lol    clean up that nasty inside..you got oily crap in the lugs and chamber...all your doing is baking that crap in the chamber,,,it wont work properly with that spooge in there  :laffs: a Hazmat team is headed your way           Wash

I'm at work and the guys are looking at me like I'm crazy after reading that, had me on the ground rolling lmao. I promise I've cleaned it since those pics, they were taken right after shooting with a quart of mobile 1 in it...I mean everybody on here keeps saying sloppy so that's how it got it, SLOPPY! I'll get all that other info later this evening. Preciate the help.

KY   no not the lube...You....you need a chamber brush or even better yet a 12gauge bore mop with some flitz polish on it and use an electric drill with the mop to clean out the baked in spooge cake out of the chamber....ill go out on a limb here and say its in the buffer system one or more out of spec stuff...tube not 7" or the spring is wrong or the buffer...and then theres the baked in chamber spooge...that has to be polished out...and then theres the gas block....So KY no not the lube.. You...did you give the barrel a bj  before and after you tightened down the gas block? You can use an air compressor...but I just give my barrel a bj.....its harder to do with a muzzle brake on the barrel cause I get the gag factor going....before you put the rail back on you take your lil pinky or put a empty shell or rag in the chamber and wrap your lips around the muzzle and blow....if you havnt tightened the gb down you can move the gb around till you get max air flow out of the gas tube...this is for your eyes only...don't tell anyone...okay?:cool:    Wash

Ok so it's getting quite a bit of air thru the tube, I'm fairly certain that I've got the gas block where it's supposed to be. The receiver extension tube inside depth is 7" on the money. The buffer is 2.5" in length, I don't have a scale to weigh it tho. But my spring is only 10 7/8" long and it has 27 coils by my count.

Washguy, I dong have any of that polish but I'll look into it. And also thanks for that PRO tip earlier even tho it's got me making a dentist appointment now...

Anyone know how tight the ejector and extractor should be? Should I be able to press them with my finger?

KY  all the way to the head of the buffer....LOL  you gotta be careful when the muzzle is in your mouth  ....You have the wrong spring...the correct length is a lil over 11 1/4 inches  a spring that's 107/8 inches  is an ar15 spring like the one in front of the 308 spring I posted....  you prolly got the right buffer if its 2.5 .... I  put a ar15 spring in one of mine and it did the same thing yours is doing....I had just grabbed it off a pile of springs   DUH... your rifle wont work for crap with the ar15 10/7/8 spring

one thing at a time clean the chamber get a ar308 car spring or just get a Tubbs car spring and be done with it     Wash 

Edited by washguy

1 hour ago, Kyblue82 said:

Anyone know how tight the ejector and extractor should be? Should I be able to press them with my finger?

I wouldn't say moving them with just a finger but you should be able to manipulate them with an empty case. I use Armalite springs in both.

the spring  goes all the way to the head, the shoulder holds it in place.

Edited by jtallen83
Stupid phone!!!!

11 minutes ago, Kyblue82 said:

Ok that's how I had the spring but I was just making sure. 11 1/4 you say?  

Ok yea I was using an empty case to move them.

Yep look at that pic I posted the one in front is 10 sumthin like you said and its an ar 15 spring the beefy one behind it is 11 1/4 car 308 spring

Edited by washguy

On 6/5/2017 at 7:53 PM, Kyblue82 said:

Ok so it's getting quite a bit of air thru the tube, I'm fairly certain that I've got the gas block where it's supposed to be. The receiver extension tube inside depth is 7" on the money. The buffer is 2.5" in length, I don't have a scale to weigh it tho. But my spring is only 10 7/8" long and it has 27 coils by my count.

Washguy, I dong have any of that polish but I'll look into it. And also thanks for that PRO tip earlier even tho it's got me making a dentist appointment now...

You have a 308 spring & buffer , depends on how you count the coils , but most are 29 coils & 11 1/4" long , but there could be slight differences .That small difference in sp[ring length & coil count could give you issues because of it may be a weak spring , but its a 308AR Buffer spring  as in the photo below , a DPMS Buffer assembly.

DSCN2371.thumb.JPG.12b9b11df08bf12b2a87af3bf53bf406.JPG

Wash is correct about the Spring in the Link , it shows an AR 15 Spring .

Yea I guess I'm going to change the buffer spring and see what that does. Unfortunately my hole in the wall town doesn't have a gun dealer, the town next door has a couple but they don't carry much build parts and since I'm going to have to order something I'm going to give the tubbs Spring a try and see what that does, plus it's another fairly inexpensive item that could straighten me out hopefully.

One more thing I was wondering, I've owned a couple ar 15's years ago but I really can't remember but I believe they were a lot easier to pull the charging handle back. Are 308's supposed to be that much more difficult to rack because mine seems pretty stiff?

32 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Don't forget to try a metal Magazine for the feed issue. The Lancer has metal feed lips with a polymer body ,( or what ever that plastic is )

I actually saw one of these today at my ffl but I think I can find it cheaper online somewhere. I believe someone posted a link. What's a good place to get some regular ole metal mags?

Question about the tubbs Spring, I see they have a stainless steel and a chrome silicone, any suggestions?

Stainless get it from Larue  http://www.larue.com/tubbs-buffer-spring-ar10-sr-25-buffer-springs

its cheaper then ordering from tubs plus you will get some good swag from them...even on a small order 

botech for mags   https://www.botach.com/lancer-l7awm-7-62mm-magazines/

my personal stash for mags...don't tell anyone  https://www.44mag.com/category/308_ar15_magazines

Wash

Edited by washguy

9 hours ago, Kyblue82 said:

I actually saw one of these today at my ffl but I think I can find it cheaper online somewhere. I believe someone posted a link. What's a good place to get some regular ole metal mags?

Question about the tubbs Spring, I see they have a stainless steel and a chrome silicone, any suggestions?

I prefer Chrome Silicone Springs , but have both & can't tell the difference . This could be one of those , what oil is best for you engine debates .

Once you try a Lancer , you won't look back .

Edited by survivalshop