• Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Build Problem

Kyblue82

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FaxonNathan said:

Following up on this to see how we can help further?

Riddle me this Nathon.....on the barrel that KY has from you....  when you nitride a barrel...is there a nitride coating in the chamber? Should the chamber be shiny or not ? very smoothed or not?

Wash

I watched Nathon and another guy talking about his barrels and answering questions...yes I see nitride in the chamber..and I also learned from Nathon that my lite hunter is a good barrel...he said once they heat up you can expect double the moa that it shot with the barrel being cold...my lite hunter shoots better than double the moa he was talkin bout...I was expecting more...but it is called a lite hunter for a reason...its to hunt with silly    Im good to go with it now :thumbup:  Wash

34 minutes ago, washguy said:

I watched Nathon and another guy talking about his barrels and answering questions...yes I see nitride in the chamber..

Given this information, should I hold off on polishing the chamber and just use a good cleaning agent? What is a good cleaning agent? Because the regular clp I have does a crap job at breaking down residue. 

6 minutes ago, Kyblue82 said:

Given this information, should I hold off on polishing the chamber and just use a good cleaning agent? What is a good cleaning agent? Because the regular clp I have does a crap job at breaking down residue. 

If it was mine I would get the flitz and the 12 ga bore mop and go after it....I know you got baked on spooge from your oos      lol       :thumbup: Wash

Don't laugh , Hoppe's # 9 , Break free spray cleaner , Brake Cleaner ( yes the stuff for cleaning Automotive Brake parts ) on a Patch . Salt Bath Nitrate should not alter the Chambers dimensions , though residue from the process may , if anything is left in there .

Edited by survivalshop

17 minutes ago, washguy said:

btw you need to take a pipe cleaner to the gas tube inside the receiver and get the spooge out of that

I just blast that with brake cleaner - stick the straw in the receiver-end of the tube and give it the business. Blow it out with compressed air.  :thumbup:

Then "lightly re lube" lol I've got a quart of Mobil 1 I've used about half a small dropper bottle on all my rifles and builds in 5 years, not that I shoot a ton but there's a definite line between wet and dumping a quart of oil in it

On June 9, 2017 at 11:58 PM, shepp said:

Then "lightly re lube" lol I've got a quart of Mobil 1 I've used about half a small dropper bottle on all my rifles and builds in 5 years, not that I shoot a ton but there's a definite line between wet and dumping a quart of oil in it

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of sloppy. I've seen how many times you all posted that pic of "the blob"! Lol

Anyways I cleaned it real good and put a light coat of lube on it and I also found a 10 rd metal mag, I only got to put 30 rds thru it but I didn't have one malfunction. I noticed the metal mag had a lot less movement than the pmags. 

I also failed to mention before that I have many different types of ammo from brass to steel, from 148gr to 180gr all with the same result.

Tubbs flat wire should be here in a couple days.

Edited by Kyblue82
Typo

8 minutes ago, Kyblue82 said:

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of sloppy. I've seen how many times you all posted that pic of "the blob"! Lol

Anyways I cleaned it real good and put a light coat of lube on it and I also found a 10 rd metal mag, I only got to put 30 rds thru it but I didn't have one malfunction. I noticed the metal mag had a lot less movement than the pmags. 

I also failed to mention before that I have many different types of ammo from brass to steel, from 148gr to 180gr all with the same result.

Tubbs flat wire should be here in a couple days.

Lol well I think you got her soaked in pretty well, now clear her up and lube lighter than you did before :lmao:

1 hour ago, Kyblue82 said:

I only got to put 30 rds thru it but I didn't have one malfunction. I noticed the metal mag had a lot less movement than the pmags. 

KY    Way to go...what did I tell ya?   you will be impressed with the Tubbs   the reason you didn't  have one malfunction is the rifle was scared of drowning in oil again   :thumbup: Wash

What Gen. are the PMags ?  first Gen. or Gen 3 ?  I have a whole thread on a early CMMG Lower , that would not work with the first Gen. Mags , but would with any Metal mag. or Lancer L7 . It doesn't take much for the Bolt over FTF if the Mag is not sitting high enough in the Mag Well , only a few thousands or an inch low & it can cause intermittent FTF .

Believe it or not , we have mentioned it here before , the Armalite AR 10 Mag Catch , might help with the PMags . The Gen 3 LR Mags are different & set the Cartridges a hair or two higher , I have to find the thread or I can look at my notes , to shout the dimensional differences in the two mags & all the others .

Edited by survivalshop

13 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

What Gen. are the PMags ?  first Gen. or Gen 3 ?  

I have the gen3 pmags. 

15 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Believe it or not , we have mentioned it here before , the Armalite AR 10 Mag Catch , might help with the PMags .

So will the ar10 mag catch fit my receiver or is there some tweaking required?

8 hours ago, Kyblue82 said:

I have the gen3 pmags. 

So will the ar10 mag catch fit my receiver or is there some tweaking required?

Yes , you want the " A " model Catch , I believe , there are some posts on it here some where , I know we just talked about it in another thread . 

Check this thread below .

Edited by survivalshop