• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Texas

DaveL

Also, remember that the M5 is a DPMS high profile upper when you go to acquire a handguard.  Since most handguards are low profile they will not match up with the M5.  I know I had to do some searching to find something that fit my .338 Federal build that used an M5 upper.

7 hours ago, DaveL said:

Ok, was curious can you elaborate why?  Don't doubt you just good to learn what I don't know.

Dave      Folks have had trouble with them....besides you want a nice cycling rifle ...if the jp piece doesn't do the job you have an expensive paperweight...the Tubbs spring and a car 308 buffer in an ar15 buffer tube and the magpul car buttstock acs  will be very nice with little spent and very easy to tune from the get go...say your rifle doesn't cycle...and we need to experiment with springs buffers gas port sizing, then whatcha gonna do if you have the jp unit?  If you wanna burn some money this isn't the time nor place for the jp         Wash

Ok wash that makes good sense and Bob I was planning on getting the aero free float tube to minimize the compatibility issues with tang height. Wash, I do plan on probably using a standard carbine buffer tube or at worst the longer armalite one.  I am not comfortable with the length of pull on the fixed stock.

15 hours ago, washguy said:

Dave      Folks have had trouble with them....besides you want a nice cycling rifle ...if the jp piece doesn't do the job you have an expensive paperweight...the Tubbs spring and a car 308 buffer in an ar15 buffer tube and the magpul car buttstock acs  will be very nice with little spent and very easy to tune from the get go...say your rifle doesn't cycle...and we need to experiment with springs buffers gas port sizing, then whatcha gonna do if you have the jp unit?  If you wanna burn some money this isn't the time nor place for the jp         Wash

One of these days, wash, I'll have you converted over to the Armalite AR-10 Carbine setup, and you'll never, ever look back...  :thumbup:

"One of these days, wash, I'll have you converted over to the Armalite AR-10 Carbine setup, and you'll never, ever look back...  :thumbup:"

98   me and Eugene had a conversation about putting his tubes on a Dpms platform.... he basically said don't be queering up his Stoner stuff with DPMS trash :laffs:  Wash

32 minutes ago, washguy said:

98   me and Eugene had a conversation about putting his tubes on a Dpms platform.... he basically said don't be queering up his Stoner stuff with DPMS trash :laffs:  Wash

It runs better...   It really does...   I'm just sayin'. :hornet:

Eugene figured it all out.  everybody else had to find a kinda-workaround on it, so they didn't have to pay him some patent-infringement money, or license fees... 

Eugene nailed it.  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hopefully without stirring the hornets nest to much I'll let you know I went with the Aero Precision .308 carbine buffer set and picked up a magpul ACS-L stock.  I did consider the armalite system but found a deal on the ap system for $49 so that decided it.

I had an AP carbine receiver extension that measured an internal depth of 7.100".  That sucker was 0.100" to much in travel, and it caused some weird shiit to happen to the cyling of the 308AR. I shiit-canned it and went with my first Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil setup, and haven't looked back since.  There are now two other 308ARs configured with those parts. 

Long story short - measure the internal depth of that tube once you get it in-hand.  Should measure out to exactly 7.000", or it's gonna give you issues.  :thumbup:

Thanks 98z I will have to check that when it arrives.  What kind of weird poop did it cause so I know what to watch for?  I also just picked up a vg6 muzzle brake new for $45 and hope it works as well as the one i have on my 5.56 AR.

Ejected fine, but sometimes it wouldn't catch the next round, sometimes it would do a bolt-over ride on the next round.  I documented it somewhere here, but I can't find it... :laffs:

My biggest concern was the overtravel, and the force on the bolt catch - that extra distance, and the buffer spring pressure - eventually, that'll break your bolt stop on the last round.  When I started to get the weird feeding issues, I dug into all kinds of stuff, and only found the receiver extension internal depth as an issue.  It was gone, that day.

Aero makes GREAT stuff, and maybe I got a fluke.  Wasn't gonna chance it, though.

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Aero makes GREAT stuff, and maybe I got a fluke.  Wasn't gonna chance it, though.

Had to put two quarters in my Aero tube to get it a reasonable distance from the.bolt catch so it didn't slam it.

You may have posted a link to the info in my Matrix build thread?

Edited by jtallen83

5 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Had to put two quarters in my Aero tube to get it a reasonable distance from the.bolt catch so it didn't slam it.

You may have posted a link to the info in my Matrix build thread?

That makes sense, because a quarter is 0.069 inches thick.  I'm used to stacking those bastards on pistol caliber AR15 builds, both 9mm and .45ACP.   $1.75 does the trick on those.  :thumbup: