• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

9mm AR rifle build query

bubbas4570

Title is sorta self explanatory......

I Am questioning the men here who have put together a 9mm AR rifle/carbine (16" barrels) and have very good function/operating with it. As such, I am not really looking to buy a bunch of pieces and build from the ground up, but more of an upper/lower buying deal and put that together....or even a whole gun.

I keep looking at PSA 9mm's with their glock lowers and a 16" upper of some type.....just wondering what you guys think of their stuff. Or does another company make a comparable play toy for a comparable price? My main goal is a cheaper range toy that is reliable, and that I can reload for as easy/cheaply as the 9mm allows....

I'd definitely go with a Glock lower. I've tried talking the wife into owning to go with her 17 and 19. Lord knows she has enough mags to feed it. 

As for uppers.... RMW Xtreme. You call him and he builds you EXACTLY what you want. Best yet, it's DI and not blow back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out New Frontier Armory for their Glock mag lowers. They also have uppers with a LRBO feature if that is important to you. If not, you can use any upper you choose. The BCGs they sell are very good and will work with a standard AR15 hammer and also already have the necessary machining to work in their Glock mag lower. If you are so inclined, they also offer the lower in an 80% version and the jig is included.

It doesn't matter if you get a glock lower or a colt lower both are great, the most important part is the BCG and make sure its milled properly. I had had a lot of issues with the weights in my buffer ,then destroying buffers. Solved by quarters and a heavy buffer. My 9 shoots like a machine gun !!!!!! No BS ! I can't feed the beast fast enough ! Currently I have zero rounds of 9mm not loaded into handgun mags.

On June 6, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Robocop1051 said:

I'd definitely go with a Glock lower. I've tried talking the wife into owning to go with her 17 and 19. Lord knows she has enough mags to feed it. 

As for uppers.... RMW Xtreme. You call him and he builds you EXACTLY what you want. Best yet, it's DI and not blow back. 

Blow back works great on 9mm rounds , DI for larger calibers works well also.

Rob your wife shot my 9mm back in the day,,,

45 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I forgot that the DI works best for the larger caliber builds. 

I remember your 9mm. Does it stil have he slide fire? I have a little something special planned for this year.

Hell yeah ! Shot 600 to 900 rounds through it last Christmas. Ron brought a big ammo can with 1500 RDS in it and shot that up until my fingers bled from loading mags. Lol. Bumpfires like a machine gun.

• 1 month later...

YouTube selling YouTube selling up a few things, I might have funds to do a little bit different on a 9mm AR..

now my question is, do I follow a "buy once, cry once" idea and just buy a good one ready built. I have my eyeballs set on one from RRA. The price would be about twice as much as putting one together from Palmetto State, or someplace like that but it should be built correctly.

Quarter Circle 10, as well. They were the machine shop for DDLES, back in the day, and then did their own thing.  I have a DDLES lowered 9mm "pistol" build, running modded UZI mags. If the mag-mods are on, it runs like a champ. When you (I) fuk the mag mods up, it doesn't feed properly. There are companies that will do the UZI mag mods for you.  I went quick on mine, and a few don't feed worth a shiit...  They're getting smashed if I can't fix them...

If you do the Glock-mag lower, you don't even have to worry about that...

https://www.quartercircle10.com/

I am looking more seriously at a full rifle purchase, instead of parts now. 

And given the way things are looking for what I have seen in my world, are there any major problems with something from Rock River Arms? The RRA keeps coming up because there is a local gun shop with one, and I have a lead on one used for a good price....either will work well, just looking for I put from any users out there that haven't spoken up/have experience with RRA.

I am not mated to any current magazine compatible format/lower style, so that is no concern. Just looking long term for longevity and problem free.

• 4 weeks later...

Said "screw it", and started putting monies into a full progressive press setup, with a Dillon trimmer, in order to speed up both .223 and .308 loading for me. No need for a 9mm AR at this time, nor the cash for it.....

A Hornady LnL 5 station with the Dillon RT1500 case trimmer should speed things up very jicely for me.  Now I just wait for my larger build project to get done.....a new house. We are doing a slab on grade and oooking forward to this......way too many irons in the fire.:banana:

BUT the 9mm AR is not out of the picture, just on hold for a while. And that is from the wife....:thumbup:

I kept mine because that is what she likes,  and she finally figured out that I was really tired of the upkeep and BS of dealing with it. If everything worked out, then it looked good....let some wind, hat head, hair ties come out, ect. kind of stuff and things started looking bad.

She liked that caveman look on me, shiity hair, beard,......dunno.