• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel extension.. what gives?

sketch

Last night I swapped a barrel out for a longer one.. used a standard clamshell and a vice to remove the break.. well I lost most of my lights so it was kinda dark for the process.. 

I started wrenching on the break and it was rather tight so I gave it a quick jab and it felt like it broke loose, so I went in for another bight and noticed the gas block was sideways!?? Well I grabbed more light and realised I turned the whole Barrel! The barrel extension was held in place by the pin and notch in the upper.. so I sum what corrected the spun barrel by hand. It's now off by my eye an 1/8 th" or more. Is this a problem that can be fixed easily? Luckily it was the barrel to be replaced with a new longer version, so not down and out. 

My guess the cheep steel break rusted it's self solid in the threads and I over did it! But it came off no problem after that. 

Is there a better way to hold a barrel than the upper set up in a clam shell?  I guess I could vice the barrel with some leather if things get bound up? Some breakes won't fit in some small handguards? Any thoughts?

11 hours ago, sketch said:

Is this a problem that can be fixed easily?

That barrel extension gets torqued on the barrel at 175lb/ft.  Not gonna be an around-the-house repair for it, and headspace needs to be checked after it's torqued back on there tight.

It might line back up, it might not. 

Some people think that the index pin holds the extension on the barrel, but that's not the case.  The index pin doesn't go into the threaded portion of the barrel, at all - only into the extension part.

When it all gets torqued back together, the fixed position of the index pin has to line up (centerline) with the barrel's gas port - if not, there's no fixing it.  That's if headspace isn't way off.

Standard threads, when looking from the extension end out towards the end of the barrel.  No weird reverse-thread stuff going on.

It was probably never on there at 175 to begin with, brother.  Just line it back up with whatever torque it takes to do it, but Rocksett the shiit out of that extension.  :thumbup:

Kool aid time   it was made for your boo boo  :laffs:

Full Description

The AR10/SR25 Reaction Rod makes the removal and installation of barrels, flash hiders, gas blocks and hand guards much easier and simpler. The Reaction Rod is designed to be gripped in a bench vise so that the rod is either horizontal or vertical. The upper receiver is then slid onto the rod and the rod’s integral splines enter the barrel extension and secure the barrel extension from turning. This allows all the torque from barrel nut wrenches to go directly into the barrel extension. In contrast, receiver vise blocks transmit the turning force into the aluminum receiver, a good part of which passes through the small, easily distorted receiver index pin. With the Geissele Reaction Rod, marring of an upper receiver’s finish by gripping and twisting inside vise blocks is eliminated and so is the need to remove sights and mounts from the receiver’s M1913 rail.

https://geissele.com/reaction-rod-ar-10-sr25.html

no crap       :laffs: ill never have one though    Wash

Edited by washguy

56 minutes ago, washguy said:

Kool aid time   it was made for your boo boo  :laffs:

Full Description

The AR10/SR25 Reaction Rod makes the removal and installation of barrels, flash hiders, gas blocks and hand guards much easier and simpler. The Reaction Rod is designed to be gripped in a bench vise so that the rod is either horizontal or vertical. The upper receiver is then slid onto the rod and the rod’s integral splines enter the barrel extension and secure the barrel extension from turning. This allows all the torque from barrel nut wrenches to go directly into the barrel extension. In contrast, receiver vise blocks transmit the turning force into the aluminum receiver, a good part of which passes through the small, easily distorted receiver index pin. With the Geissele Reaction Rod, marring of an upper receiver’s finish by gripping and twisting inside vise blocks is eliminated and so is the need to remove sights and mounts from the receiver’s M1913 rail.

https://geissele.com/reaction-rod-ar-10-sr25.html

no crap       :laffs: ill never have one though    Wash

Are you sure ? His Barrel turned out of the Barrel Extension , so how would this thing help ?:lmao:

Are you sure ? His Barrel turned out of the Barrel Extension , so how would this thing help ?:lmao:

Heck no I aint sure  :laffs:   but if you read the blurb doesn't it say

14 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

The upper receiver is then slid onto the rod and the rod’s integral splines enter the barrel extension and secure the barrel extension from turning. This allows all the torque from barrel nut wrenches to go directly into the barrel extension

38 minutes ago, washguy said:

Heck no I aint sure  :laffs:   but if you read the blurb doesn't it say

Sure, it will hold the Barrel Extension from turning , but the Barrel is independent of it & screwed into the Extension & the Barrel is what he unscrewed , by trying to unscrew the Muzzle Device , seems to happen a lot  .

Using the word Screwed a lot in this thread :laffs:

Sketch , getting that Gas port to align correctly may be difficult , has to be spot on, as you know  . Think about sending it out to to ADCO https://adcofirearms.com  

Thanks again for the links! 

Last question inch # or foot #? I'm guessing inch but a guy once told me I had big arms for a little guy! 

I dropped it off with the lgs/ Smith and he didn't have the tools to get it back in line.. but I will soon. Thanks :thumbup:

Yep, that's 175 feet!  On your barrel, Roman, you need to get that thing lined back up, and it doesn't sound like it was torqued right to begin with (or you probably wouldn't have unscrewed it taking off a muzzle device).

You need to get it all lined up - which will be barrel index pin perfectly lined up with barrel gas port.  That's the only way it'll be straight when installed, and have the headspace still on like it was.  Rocksett that bitch on there so you never have to worry about it again.  Or, Yellow or Green Loc-Tite.  Both those flavors are mean as hell.  :thumbup:

How old is the barrel and who made it?  I had the exact same thing happen to a 300 Blackout barrel that I was changing the muzzle device on and the general concensus on M4Carbine forum was that it wasn't worth the effort to try and retighten the barrel to the extension.  It wasn't torqued correctly in the first place if it came loose and getting it re-torqued and having everything align perfectly is almost impossible.  If the gas port was aligned with the old improperly torqued extension, how can it possibly be aligned if you get it torqued properly?   I contacted the seller I bought the barrel from, explained what happened, sent them the barrel and extension for them to inspect and they sent me a new barrel.  Might be worth a shot before anything alse.

1 hour ago, dpete said:

How old is the barrel and who made it?  I had the exact same thing happen to a 300 Blackout barrel that I was changing the muzzle device on and the general concensus on M4Carbine forum was that it wasn't worth the effort to try and retighten the barrel to the extension.  It wasn't torqued correctly in the first place if it came loose and getting it re-torqued and having everything align perfectly is almost impossible.  If the gas port was aligned with the old improperly torqued extension, how can it possibly be aligned if you get it torqued properly?   I contacted the seller I bought the barrel from, explained what happened, sent them the barrel and extension for them to inspect and they sent me a new barrel.  Might be worth a shot before anything alse.

Dpete     What you are saying makes perfect sense im thinkin !      Wash

There won't be any way e can get it perfectly lined up AND torqued properly.  Not since it's a finished barrel with index pin drilled and inserted, and gas port drilled.

Only hope for that barrel will be to get it perfectly aligned, at whatever torque that happens to be, and Rocksett the shiit out of that extension.