• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ask us Anything: Faxon Firearms

FaxonNathan

A pleasure to now be a formal sponsor of .308AR.com!

We've started this tradition of Ask Us Anything threads where we answer pretty much any question. We reserve the right to now answer questions on proprietary techniques, etc, but otherwise, its open season. 

Look forward to the questions and answers!

Nathan, what Parameters are used to establish your gas port sizes in 300 BO barrels? With such a wide spread in pressure between sub-sonic and supersonic ammo it would seem you have to pick one type to match the barrel to?

I built a pistol with a 10.5 inch faxon barrel and had to open the port up to get it to function with subs and no suppressor, no big deal because I used an adjustable block so when I want run suppressed or supers I can adjust down. Have you ever thought of offering 300 BO barrels with ports for specific loads?

On 6/13/2017 at 5:26 AM, jtallen83 said:

Nathan, what Parameters are used to establish your gas port sizes in 300 BO barrels? With such a wide spread in pressure between sub-sonic and supersonic ammo it would seem you have to pick one type to match the barrel to?

I built a pistol with a 10.5 inch faxon barrel and had to open the port up to get it to function with subs and no suppressor, no big deal because I used an adjustable block so when I want run suppressed or supers I can adjust down. Have you ever thought of offering 300 BO barrels with ports for specific loads?

We test functionality to subsonic rounds as we have to given the caliber's wide operating ratio. We generally follow this procedure: http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-buffer-weight/

On the 300 BLK, we run tightly to this testing parameter as opening it further leads to complaints of "overgassing". My assumption is that your weapon was just below that functional threshold due to gas seal, buffer, or other minor variation. 

If you ever have any issues, contact our Customer Service. We'll make it right. 

40 minutes ago, FaxonNathan said:

What fall shoot? Details, please!

I will certainly get you the details on this.  We Arizonans throw down some spectacular annual shoots, which have recently turned into twice-a-year shoots because of Matt Cross...  :laffs:

The Fall Shoot this year will be the best one yet.  Early November.  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Why is the gas port further from the breech on the pencil profile 308 16 middy"? Will it work with a standard mid length tube? If it's a trade secret, please disregard. 

I heard Nathan no longer works for Faxon , so there may be someone to take his place , hopefully soon .

It's "midlength."  This isn't new to us.  With "midlength," we're dealing with TWO things here.  AR-15 midlength gastubes, and Armalite AR-10 Carbine gastubes.

And, the "in-between" that some companies are now doing, where both gas tubes work. THREE gas port positions for a "midlength" gas system.

6 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Further? In comparison to what? Is it not the same distance as other mids?

Compared to the factory PSA barrel, the location of the gas port and GB shoulder on the Faxon is about 1/4" longer. The gas tube still engages the gas key by roughly 1/2" so I should be fine, but I was curious.

Edited by Boot_Scraper

10 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Compared to the factory PSA barrel, the location of the gas port and GB shoulder on the Faxon is about 1/4" longer. The gas tube still engages the gas key by roughly 1/2" so I should be fine, but I was curious.

I think I remember Nathan talking about that somewhere , I'll have to look around on where I read it or it was in one of the Videos 

• 4 months later...

A shout out to Faxon and their great customer support and services. I purchased a 300blk barrel last Aug. After much troubleshooting on my own, I decided to reach out to you.  I could not get the pistol to run. it would constantly short stroke, ammo type, buffer, and spring didn't make any difference. You can imagine how frustrating this can be. 

I reached out to you via your contact page. Mark responded and was a great help, together we determined that the gas port hole was too small measuring .07 when your revised gas port is to be .104. Well, I sent my barrel back per Mark's instructions. Mark responded to me this afternoon the gas port has been reamed to .104 and on its way back.

I just wanted to say thanks to Mark and the entire Faxon team. Job well done! 

Jetdoc

Mike