• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

WARNING! IMI GARBAGE From MIDWAY!!!!

jtallen83

I took advantage of the 30 cents a round and free shipping at Midway on Father's day and picked up 180 rounds of IMI 55 grain 5.56. Every third round blows the primer! They appear to have been crimped and I don't see any other pressure signs. The rifle I used did fine with LC and FC 55 grain, Fiocchi 69 grain match and MK 262 clone from Magtech/CBC so I don't think it is a rifle issue. The primers don't get blown far, usually end up jamming the bolt with the next round, drop the mag, lock it back and they fall out.

IMG_0973.JPG

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ran some in my Armalite M15T this morning, same results, maybe a little more damage to the case head from extractor/ejector. The first rifle is a low mass build with adjustable gas block turned WAY down, the M15T is a mid length gas with a H2 buffer in it.

Ammo is IMI 5.56 M193, lot #00219-6. I have informed Midway, we will see what they do.

IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.ca99c6817a34a2063b919908dea9fdc6.JPGIMG_0977.thumb.JPG.576e06ef680fdae1e953ce05424e3832.JPGIMG_0978.thumb.JPG.934f082e76d733e60305460bb6b837af.JPG

Took me an hour to strip the rifle down and get all the primers out. Had to remove the FCG to get one and then part of one was embedded inside the barrel extension. PITA! It looks like some of the NIB coating was damaged on the bolt face, almost like some pitting there but then I don't have any close up before pictures. Midway will hear about it for sure........

100_5610.thumb.JPG.c53b2d27295cbeedda922dc1464cdde0.JPG100_5611.thumb.JPG.24478c1356981dbe0bb475eda0878e5c.JPG

That definitely looks like the NiB is flaking. Not that I think it'll effect anything. Still sucks though. 

I have a shit ton of NiB parts in guns I built from 2007 to about 2013. I have not had any issues with NiB failing me, aside from a few parts that were out of spec (a trigger disconnector and a 5.56 bolt). Around 2013 I started using only melonite. I've just come to trust melonite more based on the application  between the two processes. 

10 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

That definitely looks like the NiB is flaking. Not that I think it'll effect anything. Still sucks though. 

I have a poop ton of NiB parts in guns I built from 2007 to about 2013. I have not had any issues with NiB failing me, aside from a few parts that were out of spec (a trigger disconnector and a 5.56 bolt). Around 2013 I started using only melonite. I've just come to trust melonite more based on the application  between the two processes. 

Im not completely sold on the use of Nitrating on Barrels , seems to be OK so far , but have not got a boat load of ammo experience yet . It is a process to harden tooling for hard extended use , so an AR Bolt or BCG seems to me a good idea

I have one NIB BCG & its in my 16" 308AR & its holding up nicely . 

JT. , I don't know the round count use with that Bolt , but it does appear to have some Gas cutting on the Bolt face & that would probably cut through the NIB or help it flake off .

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

JT. , I don't know the round count use with that Bolt , but it does appear to have some Gas cutting on the Bolt face & that would probably cut through the NIB or help it flake off .

The bolt has roughly a 1,000 rounds on it, maybe a bit more. The NIB is a bit worn at the edges of the carrier rails but nothing that looks like the bolt face here. It's not real deep but for sure a lot rougher than it was.

33 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Midway punted, sent me a link to IWI. I have already emailed them, I'm starting to see this go nowhere.

What did Midway tell you specifically?  What was the reason(s)?

22 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

The bolt has roughly a 1,000 rounds on it, maybe a bit more. The NIB is a bit worn at the edges of the carrier rails but nothing that looks like the bolt face here. It's not real deep but for sure a lot rougher than it was.

I've never expected NiB or any other similar-type coating to last forever but I also don't expect things to go bad after a mere 1000 rounds.

I don't know how to prove the bad ammo specifically caused such problems unless you have before and after photos like a lot of the magazines do.

Regardless ... that lot of ammo is NOT safe to fire under any conditions, IMHO.  Somebody needs to make this right whether they like it or not.

1 hour ago, GRA said:

What did Midway tell you specifically?  What was the reason(s)?

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your email regarding the 5.56 IMI ammunition. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Due to ammunition being DOT Regulated, we are unable to accept any returns.  We ask that you please contact IMI at http://www.imisystems.com/#thepowerofinnovation .

www.imisystems.com
IMI Systems (formerly Israel Military Industries) is a defense systems house specializing in the development of combat-proven solutions for land, air, naval and HLS ...

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Rebecca

MidwayUSA Customer Service

How does DOT regulations prohibit the ammo from being returned to the seller if it's defective and dangerous to use?

This doesn't make any sense to me and I never knew this to be honest.  

I would contact a LGS and see what they say after you explain to them you got this via mail order.  They might know a distributor or an IMI Rep. somewhere that can resolve this.

I'll sure as hell not buy any more ammo from Midway (not that I've ever bought much from them in the first place).

9 minutes ago, GRA said:

I'll sure as hell not buy any more ammo from Midway (not that I've ever bought much from them in the first place).

I'm not going to bother my LGS with it. I'll keep after IMI for all the good it will do. I'll continue to post reviews on forums to warn others. Already unsubscribed to midway emails, they will not see a dime of my money. I replied to the email letting them know I was not ignorant of the regulations and had returned faulty ammo to reputable dealers on two separate occasions. I'll be curious to see if they post my review of the ammo with pictures.

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your email regarding the 5.56 IMI ammunition. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Due to ammunition being DOT Regulated, we are unable to accept any returns.  We ask that you please contact IMI at http://www.imisystems.com/#thepowerofinnovation .

www.imisystems.com
IMI Systems (formerly Israel Military Industries) is a defense systems house specializing in the development of combat-proven solutions for land, air, naval and HLS ...

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Rebecca

MidwayUSA Customer Service

That makes no sense , but I would contact IMI any way , ya never know , might end up to your advantage .