• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SDN-6 End Cap Strike.....SCHIIIT!

jtallen83

Went to the range today with Dad and two Grandsons, ages 13 and 17. I was having all sorts of malfunction with the boys, 5.56 was blowing primers and the 716 doesn't extract after a few suppressed rounds. Figured I better hang tight with them since they are not real familiar with AR's. Dad was sighting in a 300 BO pistol I built him, he has hours with mine so I wasn't worried...till I hear him bitching he can't hit schit with the suppressor on, first thing I think is damn, he doesn't have it on all the way. Sure as schit I reach down and it pulls right off....with an end cap strike :embarrassed: I show him the end cap and explain it's hard to be accurate when the bullet is hitting the suppressor. He knew right away what he did, said he thought it was funny he didn't hear the ratchet. I've noticed these SDN-6's like to stick a bit right as they get to the ratchet after the carbon builds up a bit, he had seen me deal with it a few times so I didn't think I needed to put it on for him. Lesson learned, hope it isn't to costly a lesson. I can't see any baffle strike but then it is very hard to see much inside them. better safe than sorry so back to the mothership it goes, glad I bought two!

:embarrassed:

IMG_0975.thumb.JPG.15fe8cf3853274fbbc68207999554fe8.JPG

I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a slight strike on my original 762-SD AAC can. It hasn't affected how it runs. And I run it on my SASS when I don't use the SDN6.

And more than likely, the way they weld (bond) these things together.....there probably isn't much that they can do for you, besides replace it. But I'm not sure. And would it be on them?

21 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a slight strike on my original 762-SD AAC can. It hasn't affected how it runs. And I run it on my SASS when I don't use the SDN6.

And more than likely, the way they weld (bond) these things together.....there probably isn't much that they can do for you, besides replace it. But I'm not sure. And would it be on them?

Regardless I want them to check it out, I just can't see well enough to be confident it didn't hit a baffle and I don't want it coming apart when it goes back on a 308. From what I understand they usually cut it off and weld a new cap on it. It won't be on me either way, Dad is the one that didn't screw it on right! I have read of cases a few years back where AAC fixed issues like this under warranty even when they were informed it was user error so I'm hopeful, for Dad's sake.

Yeah, my eyesight is slowly going also. HA. But mine seemed to be ok, and I've sent many 7.62 (308) rounds down through it since. But you're right though, it never hurts for them to check it out.

Throttle up my brother. I'm still stoked that another one of us is in the "suppressor" club.

I am finding it an expensive club. Besides the high admission fee there is the skyrocketing ammo budget to contend with. I'm going to enact a new policy for friends that want to shoot with me now, I supply the rifles and suppressors, they supply the ammo. Used to be 5 rounds with the 716 pistol or maybe ten on the Matrix with a brake and they were good, now they keep asking for another mag!

Yeah, that tends to happen. I think it's fair to ask "friends" to supply their own ammo. Especially when you hit 300 black. Granted, it's coming down in price, but it's still a little steep compared to other calibers.

Though.....I'll have a couple ammo cans of it in the desert with me in the fall......for all the fella's. That's different of course. :laffs:

The low-life bastards............................................

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm gonna have all the .338 LM loaded up, as well. I think we'll need more, though.  I think I'll start picking up brass, so we'll have more...   :thumbup:

PM me on anything that I can pitch on that will be needed for an awesome Fall shoot. With you hosting, I will be happy to help take on the costs associated with making this shoot the best ever.

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm gonna have all the .338 LM loaded up, as well. I think we'll need more, though.  I think I'll start picking up brass, so we'll have more...   :thumbup:

I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure I have a rifle for this.  I ordered a case of ammo for a demo rifle, but I blasted through most of that in the last couple weeks... I have a bunch of the brass saved, at least now I know where I can send it. It's all yours bro. Free. I don't reload, so I don't have any use for it.  Don't get too excited… It's just cheap S&B... "Cheap" being a relative term.

There's nothing "cheap" on a rifle that's chambered for $6 bills...   :lmao:

I'm working the 86 cases that we shot up last fall - really, we only shot 86 rounds through that thing, but it was all Hornady Match factory loaded ammo.  That's $516 that went kinda quick...   :laffs:  I feel bad, because Ron fronted all that, and didn't ask for shiit in return - I think he had a chubby at all the smiles...  

If you send brass, brother, then I'll load it all up and get some shiit going.  :thumbup:

Here's where we are right now:

P1050719.JPG

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

PM me on anything that I can pitch on that will be needed for an awesome Fall shoot. With you hosting, I will be happy to help take on the costs associated with making this shoot the best ever.

+1

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

If I make it out i have a good bit of 308 and 556 brass ill probably never do anything with I can donate to the ranger reloading fund

Blue you better make it man!

ive got some coffee cans of .556/.223, .308, and some 30-06 40 and 45acp also

1 hour ago, sketch said:

jt grab a dowel or something 30cal dia rod and cote it with chalk .. run that threw the can and shine a light from bolth ends?

I have the Geisele suppressor gauge, it didn't hit anything but I couldn't be sure there are no cracks, dropped it at UPS yesterday so it's out of my hands now.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

I feel bad, because Ron fronted all that, and didn't ask for shiit in return - I think he had a chubby at all the smiles...

Nobody should feel bad my brutha. It was there to be shot. And I got what I was looking for. A good time with good friends.

The MRAD will return to hopefully sit along side Robs' rifle.

• 2 weeks later...