• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt catch spacing issue...

Measured the Matrix and one of the Aero uppers, in that bolt catch area, just to give you a reference.

Bolt catch thickness area, from the inner machining - Aero was 0.075" and the Matrix was 0.060" thick, in those areas.  You can cut. :thumbup:

Lemme know if the dimensions I'm talking about don't make sense - I'm talking about how "thin" you could shave that area forward, and not have to worry,based in different manufacturers wall thickness there.  IMHO, it's not a high stress area, and you could go thinner, maybe 0.050". 

Matrix at 0.060" first, then Aero at 0.075" second.

Bolt catch wall thickness 60 thou Matrix.jpg

Bolt catch wall thickness 75 thou AP.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

If you compare the depth of that cut out for the Bolt Stop , you will not be able to cut it the same depth , because its milled deeper then available material ( where it should be ) will permit.

I would think if it was made for a longer cartridge , the Pivot & Disassembly Pin placement would also change for a longer BCG . Doesn't mean that they didn't screw up with programing on the CNC machine. 

595f6f86605bf_boltstopwrong.jpg.33758d56f31adfb66d75ccf29004a72b.jpg

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Measured the Matrix and one of the Aero uppers, in that bolt catch area, just to give you a reference.

Bolt catch thickness area, from the inner machining - Aero was 0.075" and the Matrix was 0.060" thick, in those areas.  You can cut. :thumbup:

I understand what you're saying.  I'm going to pick up a digital caliper and a dremel tool tonight when I get home from work.  

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If you compare the depth of that cut out for the Bolt Stop , you will not be able to cut it the same depth , because its milled deeper then available material ( where it should be ) will permit.

I would think if it was made for a longer cartridge , the Pivot & Disassembly Pin placement would also change for a longer BCG . Doesn't mean that they didn't screw up with programing on the CNC machine. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking originally also.... Hence why I wanted to shave the paddle head... I think if I shave the head and a TINY bit off the receiver I should be ok... Wanted to get a more experienced opinnion though from y'all. Hence why I posted originally.

Edited by firemanpete
Fixed typo

I don't think you need to go as deep as the original bolt stop cutout.  You can cut to this (second) line here,and you'd be okay.  You can determine the thickness of that with a digital caliper, and compare it to the two numbers I posted above. 

Total thickness at the magwell cuts, minus the depth of that recess on the sides, of the bolt catch cutout.

59605494a1cd3_Cutboltstop.jpg.df205d0bd433b982d0d21e667f2f4852.jpg

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't think you need to go as deep as the original bolt stop cutout.  You can cut to this (second) line here,and you'd be okay.  You can determine the thickness of that with a digital caliper, and compare it to the two numbers I posted above. 

Total thickness at the magwell cuts, minus the depth of that recess on the sides, of the bolt catch cutout.

59605494a1cd3_Cutboltstop.jpg.df205d0bd433b982d0d21e667f2f4852.jpg

Hay, your line is bigger then mine :laffs: 

I also noticed that secondary line or machined step & was going to mention it . Still makes me wonder if the mistake on the this Receiver is more then just the cut out for the Bolt Catch , but you won't know that till fully assembled & test fired .

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's what I was originally thinking also between the cut and shaving of the paddle, but since I've never built or worked on a .308 ar I figured I'd better ask people who have lol  

7 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Hay, your line is bigger then mine :laffs: 

I also noticed that secondary line or machined step & was going to mention it . Still makes me wonder if the mistake on the this Receiver is more then just the cut out for the Bolt Catch , but you won't know that till fully assembled & test fired .

It may be a mistake or a way for them to make more money, as I saw on their website a weird looking pushed out bolt catch that looked sorta like: _p

< _ = horisontal bar from where it normally is pinned/screwed into place,  p= top of bolt catch paddle head> . Which of course now I can't find on their site lol. 

Edited by firemanpete

@98Z5V 

@survivalshop

gentlemen, like I say in the video, sorry for the thousand and 1 questions.... And thank you for both of yours inputs....  Oh and I'd also like to thank Dremel and the tungsten carbide metal scraping/milling bit LOL. I GOT IT!!!!  **edit: don't think the movie from my phone was loading.... Here's a still with my bolt held back and catch working properly.  

image.jpeg

Great news, Pete!   Get out and test fire that beast, and let us know how it goes.  Test the last-round hold open first - load 1 in the mag and fire, make sure the bolt locks back.  Good stuff!...  :thumbup: