• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Nitrated 18", NB BCG, Gen 2 observations...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Sarge..

Currently I am using a Primary Arrms 4-14x44... IMHO it is a heck of a deal for a Front Focal plane scope.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

The mount is just as good.
I have numerous that I have been using for years.

Edited by bfoosh006

2 hours ago, bfoosh006 said:

Old Sarge..

Currently I am using a Primary Arrms 4-14x44... IMHO it is a heck of a deal for a Front Focal plane scope.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

The mount is just as good.
I have numerous that I have been using for years.

Whats the thing weigh . I didn't see it specified , even in the manual .

On 8/13/2017 at 0:25 PM, Old_Sarge said:

Right out the shoots I have an old Bushnell 3x9 that I can put on it till I figure out what I want or need.  I am going to have to look into scopes to figure that out I guess. 

Old Sarge

If there is a Gander Mountain close to you, look to see if there is a scope you would like at a good price.  The ones I have been in are 40-60% off recently.  If you know what you are looking at, you can find some deals.  But, they have some stuff "marked down" to regular price as well.

Well.... I ordered up the "better" barrel today....

Criterion 18" Middie.... https://msrarms.com/collections/m-o-t-m/products/criterion-barrels-nitride-finish-stainless-steel-hybrid-contour-barrel-308-ar?variant=29092302337

As well as the Brownells version of the Geissele reaction rod and JP Upper vise blocks.

After shooting again on last Sat. ... I couldn't bear the thought of shooting so much expensive ( compared to 5.56 ) .308, and accepting the PSA barrels accuracy level ( really , Lack of accuracy ).

Criterion said the barrel should fit just fine, but did caution me about using the Nickel Boron Bolt... the reason being .. A. Quality, ... B. Since it is a coating, headspace could be excess as it possibly wears off / flakes off the locking lugs or bolt face.

Interesting... I had never thought of that.

Granted if the bolt was produced properly, it should be a-ok.

For me... that is another reason to use a conv. bolt or a nitrated bolt... or at least one that is not a coating.

1 hour ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Glad i'm not the only one with a high dollar "budget" PA10 :laffs: My Faxon 16" will be here Friday!:fullauto::banana:

Note to self: Next time, start from scratch.

Boot_Scraper.... Same here... the "budget" idea is long gone :laffs::laffs:... I was lying to myself anyway !!

Accuracy is addictive.... you know what they say, "Only an accurate rifle is interesting."

I knew I wouldn't be happy unless the rifle was "hopefully" as accurate as my SAI '96 M21... for a longer firing session.. soooooo.... I just hope no one puts a Krieger .308 barrel on sale during the "Labor Day" sales... or a Vortex scope.... or a.... ( PSA already had 168gr FGMM back on sale for $16 / 20rds, damn them ! )

Actually... the worse part was, realizing I have all the tools I need to build an AR15.... not an AR10 sized receiver...

Edited by bfoosh006

2 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Glad i'm not the only one with a high dollar "budget" PA10 :laffs: My Faxon 16" will be here Friday!:fullauto::banana:

Note to self: Next time, start from scratch.

20 minutes ago, bfoosh006 said:

Boot_Scraper.... Same here... the "budget" idea is long gone :laffs::laffs:... I was lying to myself anyway !!

Accuracy is addictive.... you know what they say, "Only an accurate rifle is interesting."

I knew I wouldn't be happy unless the rifle was "hopefully" as accurate as my SAI '96 M21... for a longer firing session.. soooooo.... I just hope no one puts a Krieger .308 barrel on sale during the "Labor Day" sales... or a Vortex scope.... or a.... ( PSA already had 168gr FGMM back on sale for $16 / 20rds, damn them ! )

Actually... the worse part was, realizing I have all the tools I need to build an AR15.... not an AR10 sized receiver...

You two are mighty quick learners :laffs:....and that's why we like ya !       :thumbup:         Wash

I received the SS Barreled Upper today from PSA...18" middie, FF, SS barrel, Nitrated BCG

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-18-midlength-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch-516445088.html

Weight of just the upper, from the PSA is 5 1/3lbs

I has the same gas tube binding issue the FF Barrel nut and the BCG... exactly the same. ( The barrel nut makes contact with the gas tube, forcing it in to the top

The gas key is properly staked... just like the first.

The charging handle lacks the raised "tab" at the front of it.. just like the first.

The upper is also bone dry...no extra oil at all... a very slight amount of something on the BCG.

Going to change the gas block to an SLR adjustable, grind down the barrel nut flat to allow free movement of the gas tube, oil it up, use a BCM Gunfighter "Brake" on this barrel and see how it shoots.

I am hoping for better accuracy then the nitrated barrel has done, and will be reporting more info as I get it.

Again, which ever upper shoots the worst, will receive the Criterion replacement barrel. ( I have high hopes for much better, consistent accuracy )

Photos of its OEM state will follow.

Edited by bfoosh006

This has been a great thread to read. As a new guy to 308 ARs, and one who has been out of the AR game in general for almost 20 years, I have enjoyed reading your posts as well as those of the other very helpful contributors... my son just bought a PSA PA-10 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-midlength-308-win-ss-lightweight-15-m-lok-acs-l-rifle.html) and I forwarded him the link to this thread. I think he needs to read this before he receives the rifle, so he knows what he could expect.

This thread also has helped me make the decision to dive into a 308 AR myself, and the PSA seems to be a fairly safe bet for the money, as long as one is OK with the possibility of having to tweak things some. Since I'm not afraid of that possibility, I think I am going to jump on the bandwagon and order one for myself. I will probably go with the Classic Lower, and the 18 mid length M4 style upper, since they come to about $460 all together right now, and with 8 kids and 3 dogs, I'm all about budget.

So, bfoosh006, my pocketbook sincerely thanks you for your well written reviews, because otherwise I would no doubt be looking towards a much higher priced entry into the 308 AR world. 

Edited by 1187Shooter
SP

This is the new 18" SS upper....

The first image is with the OEM gas block loosened and pulled back so everyone can see how much the barrel nut was pushing the gas tube up, it would not freely enter the gas tube hole at all... as a matter of fact it took a fair bit of gentle pushing to allow it to go in.

The second image is with it entered into the hole in the receiver... note how much it is flexed at the front of the gas block.

Third photo shows the wear from the OEM install and me taking it on and off.

Furth photo show the clearance now after grinding off material along the entire top... free movement and clearance.

I will add... the gas tube was binding the BCG ( via the gas tube interaction ) the same way my first upper was.

Again That binding will not help accuracy and function ( let alone longevity of parts ) at all.

So if yours is like the first photo... fix it for your own good... I'd bet you'll be happy you did.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

why not just slightly bend the gas tube.. if you move the barrelnut on and off again it will be yet another thing to try to line up and may the tourque gods be with you.. just reading your last thread maybe i missed something in the process.. i had to bend a gas tube "just" on a build and it has been reassembled three times.. shoots as expected! just a fraction to clear! my .02

9 minutes ago, sketch said:

why not just slightly bend the gas tube.. if you move the barrelnut on and off again it will be yet another thing to try to line up and may the tourque gods be with you.. just reading your last thread maybe i missed something in the process.. i had to bend a gas tube "just" on a build and it has been reassembled three times.. shoots as expected! just a fraction to clear! my .02

IMHO... while I could have bent the gas tube.. it may have worked or not... the amount of heat going through the gas tube is a lot, so I wanted the gas tube to be unaffected by any external forces, either from me or the barrel nut.

how much heat does a barrel nut get? just sayin.. my opinion is the long run factor, i think you are doing a good job with what you have to work with and im no expert. i like it simple, less cutting is more to work with.. 

as i think about it a gas tube would be eaiser/ cheeper to replace.. my .02

6 hours ago, sketch said:

how much heat does a barrel nut get? just sayin.. my opinion is the long run factor, i think you are doing a good job with what you have to work with and im no expert. i like it simple, less cutting is more to work with.. 

as i think about it a gas tube would be eaiser/ cheeper to replace.. my .02

I think the heat he is referring to is how it effects the Gas Tube , they are effected by it & do expand some , not to mention some pressure spike movement when peak Gas signature is put to them .

The Gas Tube path is a common issue with 308AR Barrel nuts , not so much any more , because most manufacturers have learned that the 308AR Barrel Nut is much larger the its little brother .

Just to be clear.. yes, I was referring to the heat in the gas tube.. I don't like the idea of trial and error on bending the gas tube. ...( YMMV )

For the sake of accuracy, the BCG should freely return to battery, the same way every time. 

And the PSA FF barrel nut has no splines to line up ( like a "normal barrel nut ) with the gas tube.

Edited by bfoosh006

well you guys say its ok to grind a barrel nut.. barrel nut has no index for gas tube.. gas tube already has bends in it.. ill leave it at that. im sure your fix will work. just not how i fix a problem with a different problem. lets get it down range and worry about that later.. ?

Edited by sketch
Shits