• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA10 Nitrated 18", NB BCG, Gen 2 observations...

Some other ammo issues...

Nosler 110 Varmageddon... blew the first two shoots primers... ( I only found one of the cases ) those two blown primers ended up in the receiver extension, not allowing the BCG to return to battery.

You can see, on the primer, the marks from the BCG smacking it.

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

bfoosh006, have you noticed that you're getting respectable groups with 150grn bullets? After reading so much that the 1 in 10 barrels preferred heavier bullets I was surprised that mine shot 150's as good as it does. It does look like yours prefers the 168 gmm. I came close to buying 10 boxes of the gmm when PSA had them on sale for 15.99 a box, but then I read about how the bullets really aren't recommended for hunting. So, I canceled my order. My primary focus for my rifle is hunting. Can you recommend a commercially available load with 165-168grn bullets that you think would do well as a hunting round? Like I said earlier, I have used Core Lokts for my hunting bolt guns for many years. I'm always reluctant to try the real expensive hunting rounds, especially since my Remington Core Lokts have worked so well for me all these years. I've looked for 165grn Remington Core Lokt .308's, but can't find any. All I can find are the 180's or 150's. I tried the 180's, and wasn't really happy with their accuracy in my gun. The 150's did better. I can get 165's for my 30-06. So, I know they have the 30 cal 165's, but it seems they don't load them in the .308.

4 hours ago, mley1 said:

bfoosh006, have you noticed that you're getting respectable groups with 150grn bullets? After reading so much that the 1 in 10 barrels preferred heavier bullets I was surprised that mine shot 150's as good as it does. It does look like yours prefers the 168 gmm. I came close to buying 10 boxes of the gmm when PSA had them on sale for 15.99 a box, but then I read about how the bullets really aren't recommended for hunting. So, I canceled my order. My primary focus for my rifle is hunting. Can you recommend a commercially available load with 165-168grn bullets that you think would do well as a hunting round? Like I said earlier, I have used Core Lokts for my hunting bolt guns for many years. I'm always reluctant to try the real expensive hunting rounds, especially since my Remington Core Lokts have worked so well for me all these years. I've looked for 165grn Remington Core Lokt .308's, but can't find any. All I can find are the 180's or 150's. I tried the 180's, and wasn't really happy with their accuracy in my gun. The 150's did better. I can get 165's for my 30-06. So, I know they have the 30 cal 165's, but it seems they don't load them in the .308.

No offense to any one and not looking to start a "Twist rate" discussion...

But I have seen faster twist rates consistently shoot very good groups with " not the right weight ammo" ... in .223 , 5.56 and now .308.
Bare in mind my groups are currently all 100yds... so the results may be different at 300yds, and 5-600yds.

Also ... if you review my 3 different barrels... you can see barrels are like everyone you have ever dated... close but never the same.... so YMMV.

What critter are you hunting ?... and what range ?

150gr Fusion, and Fusion MSR, and 150gr GD bonded bullets did very well for my barrel.

My weekend ammo purchase is going to be some Creedmoor Sports .308 and 6.5CM.... I have had VERY good accuracy with their .223 match ammo.

Good enough results that I will recommend trying some of this... ( BTW, I will be ordering this and testing it )

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/1772/-Rifle-Ammunition

Or some Aust. Outback 165gr SGK

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ADI-RIFLE-AMMO/2437832.uts

I'll be hunting deer and hogs, at less than 300yrds. Last year I had a few shots out to about 325, but that's about the farthest I'm comfortable shooting. I've always just used the Core Lokts, for years, as they are always in stock and easy to get. I would like to try the ones you suggest though. If nothing else, to at least see if they're more accurate for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Every barrel has a mind of it's own. And, it seems everything can affect accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight out the box new.  I added a bipod, and an ar optics 4-18×40mm. At the indoor range i shot 40 rds imi nato and than. 20 rds fgmm. After a thorough cleaning,  i shot the fgmm, and hornady amax at 100yds. And got three 2"group.  Have i ruined the barrel not breaking ur in properly,  or am I expecting tomuch out of this barrel.

Hey Jsnake      A lil bit of both prolly ....as for break in everyone has their own theory....lol     As for me I clean it then go shoot it...I don't do the one round clean thing...I shoot the barrel till I see the groups go wide and weird......did you know that a lot of folks have ruined their barrel by not knowing the proper cleaning procedure....and you can actually over clean your barrel......when you have a new barrel the bullet is actually smoothing and filling in the imperfections....then you clean the heck out of it (overclean) and you got an unhappy barrel

for high dollar barrels,,,yes the barrel maker will want you to break it into the factories spec........one other thing if you nick or damage the crown its fubar time .   your scope could be the culprit too...did you use a fatty torque inch pound tool?  how many inch pounds did you tighten the scope to?  

although most all of my 308 barrels like FGMM 168 and Privi 168  maybe try a totally different grain?  could it be you too causing the poor groups?.....and finally it could be the barrel you cant rule that out    Bfoos groups look pretty damn good with lighter pills

Wash    

25 minutes ago, Jsnake711 said:

I didn't torque the scope mount just a little blue loctite and after seated a half turn more. In cleaning,  I went one tight patch with hops and then a bout six runs with a brush dipped In hops.

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

Jsnake711...

Your barrel is fine.... the only way you could seriously hurt your barrel is if you did a dozen 20rd mag dumps in a row.

Try shooting off a bag as well... some people do better with a bag and vice versa...

As for accuracy... and no offense intended at all... but is this your first .308 AR ?

If it is... IMHO , the PSA in its stock form is pretty over gassed... so if you are learning with a abrupt cycling rifle, it will be hard to focus on your shooting skills.
And your learning curve / accuracy/ skills might be affected by the jolt of the stock gas system.
In order to be consistent at the bench, you need to be able to focus on your skills ... not the rifle bucking you from every shot.

IMHO, I would install an adjustable gas block to help tame the cyclic speed. It is quite easy to do.

And.. your barrel might be a shooter or it might not be one...
You are going to need to try a variety of ammo , to see what your barrel likes.

FIRST....
Sooo... Check the basics first.... Barrel nut tight ( yes I have gotten a PSA 5.56 upper that had a hand tight barrel nut )....gas block tight...gas tube is free floating in the upper hole, no binding.... flash suppressor tight ( ditto on one of those hand tight from PSA ) .....,etc.
 If you don't have the tools needed... either buy them ( depending on your budget ) or take it to a gunsmith, tell him your reason for being there ( you doing the QC ) and ask him if for a "smallish" fee, if he could check it out for you and fix it.

If everything is tight and GTG....

I'd buy the adjustable gas block first.... certainly prior to trying a bunch of different ammo.

A softer cycling .308 AR rifle will make your time spent at the bench FAR more productive... and you will stay on target easier.

As for trying different ammo.... buy the Milspec surplus first... I am still surprised how well the cruddy DAG shot.... I have seen numerous examples over the years ( and over the calibers ) of inexpensive ammo shooting better then ammo costing 3-5 times as much.

Keep us posted on your progress... and don't fret about asking any question.... we are all more then happy to offer up our opinions !! Lol

Edited by bfoosh006

I rechecked alk the hardware,  and blue loctite which there was no sign of on any of them.  I can't really check the barrel nut,  it seems tight.  Like yours the gas tube touches the barrel nut too.  

I'll get on grabbing different ammo for it asap. And see how it does.  

I'll look at a gas block too. 

6 minutes ago, Jsnake711 said:

Btw, I've seen that dpms, sr25  style mags do not work with this rifle any one know how true that is? Pmags are hard to find in 20rd. 

On sale at Primary Arms and Brownells, use the Brownells link and help support the forum;

http://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-pmag-20-lr-sr-gen-m3-7-62x51-magazine-black-mag291blk

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-20rd-pmag-lr-sr-gen-m3-magazine-308-winchester-prod99108.aspx?avs|Capacity_1=20-Round

Edited by jtallen83

51 minutes ago, Jsnake711 said:

I rechecked alk the hardware,  and blue loctite which there was no sign of on any of them.  I can't really check the barrel nut,  it seems tight.  Like yours the gas tube touches the barrel nut too.  

I'll get on grabbing different ammo for it asap. And see how it does.  

I'll look at a gas block too. 

Jsnake     do not worry bout the barrel nut...I changed out a hand guard  and barrel from Palmetto and had to use a breaker bar on the barrel wrench to take off the barrel nut....never have had to do that...so im sure yours is on tight!     Wash

Update on the 6.5CM PSA upper....

I got the 6.5CM Upper... but it came with the wrong bolt and firing pin... and no retaining key for the FF rail.

I got a .308 Bolt and firing pin... same dimensions as my .308 upper's bolt and firing pin.

Good news is, Fred at PSA is sending me the proper "High pressure/ small diameter firing pin bolt" and retaining key.

Very nice to see PSA be so prompt with the correction.... Thank You very much Fred !

So .... at this point... I want to know everyone's opinions on firing the 6.5CM with the .308 ( larger firing pin and hole ) bolt.

Am I asking for problems ? I'd like to think it would be ok.

Or should I wait for the "correct" bolt and firing pin...

I will post other photos later.... gotta say, I like the barrel profile...good n' heavy.

Gas tube makes just a tiny bit of contact with the barrel nut... not enough to be concerned.

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Its the correct Bolt , the small Firing Pin & hole is , I guess you could say an Upgrade , but the std 308AR Bolt works fine . Its those who are loading for peak performance for long range shooters , who cam up with the small FP & hole .

PSA sells the 6.5CM upper with a small FP and hole ... it is on the webpage and was confirmed by PSA on another forum.
The PSA webpage says.... on the very bottom of the description ...

Includes: High pressure/ small diameter firing pin bolt

I will post photos of the differences later, the firing pin is different shaped, towards the tip..... as well as other info.

That said... I believe I will try the .308 bolt.

Edited by bfoosh006

23 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Right,  but the other mags will not work correct?