• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z's Mk12 Mod 1

98Z5V

Been kinda kicking around the idea of a US Army SDM-R or the USMC SAM-R for a long time.  After much thought, that plan went sideways (for now) and turned into a Mk 12 Mod 1.  All because I KNEW I had an old deployment bag with a KAC rail panel set in it - I just couldn't find the damn thing...  :lmao:  Well, I found it, and there was a brand new KAC pistol grip in there, too.  So, plans changed, and the SDM-R/SAM-R thought turned into the Mod 1.  Found an A2 stock in the back of a closet...

What launched this damn parts-search inside the compound was a LaRue sale.  They had their 13.2" rail for $100 off...  Damnit...   Original plan was to LaRue this thing out - I'd rather have the LaRue 13.2 rail on there over the KAC 12" rail in the first place - and I'm sure, in the development of the firearms world, some of the original Mod 1s would have had that rail on it, too, for more rail-estate...

Then, Matt trips me up and says "You gotta go with the Ops Inc collar and brake, and we'll toss my Ops 12th on there this fall!!!"  Shiit, so the LaRue Stealth barrel is out now - and I found a suitable replacement.  Ballistic Advange 18" SPR barrel, rifle gas, 1:8" twist, .223 Wylde Chamber, SPR profile - I must say, I REALLY like this barrel! 

Here's where we sit, right now, but plenty of parts are still on the way. Rail is ordered, but with a 2~6 week availability.  Bunch of small parts on the way. Waiting for a big Geissele sale somewhere, and I'll snatch another Hi-Speed DMR trigger...

Blue will like this...  :thumbup:

P1050731.JPG

P1050732.JPG

P1050733.JPG

P1050734.JPG

P1050738.JPG

P1050739.JPG

1 minute ago, sketch said:

are you going to glass or standard irons? 

Yes.  :laffs:

Will have glass in a LaRue LT158 SPR-S mount, and I'm leaning hard towards the PA 4~14 5.56 DMR scope.  Irons will be offset MBus Pros.  This is the scope:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-5-56-nato-reticle-pa4-14xffp-acss-hud-dmr-5-56

16 minutes ago, sketch said:

nice.  being one of the ( jonses) i wish i had a build like this right now!! ? beachin sling? 

Either Jacob's sling, or another V-TAC Mk1 sling.  Won't be anything else but those.

14 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Sexy

As soon as I found that A2 stock, the first thing I thought about was sling attachment, and "HELL YEAH, BLUE AND NOVESKE!!!" popped STRAIGHT into my head!!!  Noveske Flush Cup it is!!!  

Thank you brother, because I didn't even know they existed before you pimped them! :hail::thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I saw that flush cup..its an awesome mod. Id love to do a proper SAM-R but those stupid FSGBs  go for $500 when they are in stock. Ive heard of people buying them for $800 private party. 

Still nothing hotter than PRI rails <3

Edited by blue109

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2017 at 6:11 PM, blue109 said:

Still nothing hotter than PRI rails <3

We are making progress - the LaRue 13.2 rail was ordered 26 June. After 3 weeks, I called and checked on the status. Nothing but honestly from them.  They gave me the production schedule of the different lengths, when it would start, and they told me that based on the order numbers, the 13.2s were not even scheduled yet - but it should be at the end of that 4~6 week backorder that they informed me about.  So, last week, I called just to check.  I'd put it out of my mind, honestly.  "Hey guys, those 13.2s, how we looking? Here's my order number..."  They were completely honest again - some were in production, but all current production was going to complete rifle builds - but something should free up, with rifle builds getting caught up in a week or two.  I'm cool with it, I have time. I  just need to get this rifle done before you ratbastards show up this fall.  :laffs:

Out of curiosity, I asked if there were any 12.0s available, because I can switch it out for a 12, then the guy says, "Let me check..." and puts me on hold.  After he came back he says, "the gun room has a bunch of 12s for builds, and I can take one..." I say no way, I don't need you stopping someone else's gun build just to get me a rail...  He says, "Right now it looks like the 12-builds are caught up, and the gun room is stacking these up." Switch my order, brother, I love it... :lmao:

Now, the reason I quoted you, brother - I've never owned a LaRue rail before - but that thing mounts up JUST LIKE a PRI rail - index pins and all.  But it goes one step further, with the anti-rotation tab, which locks it to the upper, the backing plate inside, and the rail lock ring.  Once you get it all together, just like you get a PRI rail together, that one tab and two bolts locks that shiit down TIGHT. It'll never move.  Honestly, I'm very, very impressed with it, mostly on how much it's like a PRI, with that added benefit of locking it down.  Once you see it...  I'm just sayin'...  :thumbup:

P1050806.thumb.JPG.3092d42521084c5f506658951b6da96d.JPGP1050807.thumb.JPG.63975548e25ad2ae0609f691fe134dcc.JPG

Here's where we are now, and the MBUS offsets are on the way. 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

Scope and irons done.  Don't like the length of the scope mount.  It's a temp mount, so I'm not that broken up about it, but the real mount needs to get here kinda quick, because it's killing me not shooting this thing yet - and I wanna see that barrel perform!...  :laffs:  Irons are MagPul MBus PRO offsets.  Scope is Primary Arms 4~14 DMR HUD.

More baby steps...  :lmao:

LaRue LT-158 mount is already on the way, right now.  :thumbup:

P1050855.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Put the first 53 rounds through it this morning - did not disappoint!   It loves my 55gr range loads, but man did it hate 10 rounds of 69gr Prvi Partizan match ammo...  :laffs:

It's a bug-hole shooter, for sure.  I was all jacked up on coffee and Copenhagen this morning, and still had some damn tight groups.  This one is a winner.

I have a feeling it's either gonna love, or hate, my normal 75gr Hornady HPBT load.  If it hates it, I'll make up a dedicated load for this rifle.  Next few weekends coming up are tough, but I'll get more time on this one before all you bastards invade my territory here...   :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Stretched it out a little bit this morning.  Zero confirmation steel at 225 yards, and a steel torso silhouette at 500 yards on the money.  Rifle performed flawlessly. 5mph wind 90 degrees right - full value, directly from the right - all morning. No variation.

Here's the view from the firing line on the berm - that 500 target is out there...  like Waldo... 

59da9ba89fb6e_500targetdistance.thumb.jpg.1651d40a6b7096e9639170f00c8517cb.jpg

Here's an inset pic that shows what the target looks like to the eyeball...

59da9c77afe88_500targetcomposite2.thumb.jpg.72a54888d0b8d55406d4222b48051fcd.jpg

A little bit of camera zoom gives the details a bit better.  Fresh white paint on that thing - for now...

59da9cd505ed5_500targetcloser.thumb.jpg.6e7d0953f81480ad9f65353447066d77.jpg

We marked it up pretty good.  There were only 2 of us hitting it - and the other guy was shooting 62gr Green Tip at it. You can tell the difference in the marks and impact of the green tip versus my 55gr Hornady FMJ-BTs.  His are quite shiny, and mine just knock the paint off and leave the black splash marks.

59da9d616d902_500targethits.thumb.jpg.c07bbc165f1c40a0cfd2f313278ae5cd.jpg59da9d72d6d2f_500targethits2.thumb.jpg.c8c274e7dc3239d5d130e2f414bc47e5.jpg

Notice...  the only head shots were 55gr FMJ-BT  - there were no green tip impacts there...  :thumbup::laffs:

Overall, this rifle kicks a$s. I'm gonna have to have a showdown between the Mod 0 and Mod 1.  I'm really liking this Mod 1. 

Edited by 98Z5V