• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z's Mk12 Mod 1

98Z5V

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, JF89 said:

Would it sound weird if I said that rifle gave me a chubby? ?

That thing gives me a Giant Freedom Boner every single time I open the door of the gun locker...  :thumbup:

It goes out to every shoot, every one.  The the Fall Shoot this year, we were running the 55gr range loads, and at the 450 target, you had to hold for 500.  We switched up to some 69gr match loads, and it was dead-hold 450 for 450 impacts.  The 75gr handloads are even better.  That thing is a beast.

I'm pretty sure I took it out to the long distance range, with some Black Hills Mk262, and it was ON at 845 yards. 

Edited by 98Z5V

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That thing gives me a Giant Freedom Boner every single time I open the door of the gun locker...  :thumbup:

It goes out to every shoot, every one.  The the Fall Shoot this year, we were running the 55gr range loads, and at the 450 target, you had to hold for 500.  We switched up to some 69gr match loads, and it was dead-hold 450 for 450 impacts.  The 75gr handloads are even better.  That thing is a beast.

I'm pretty sure I took it out to the long distance range, with some Black Hills Mk262, and it was ON at 845 yards. 

What kind of groups were you getting?

I dont shoot long range too much but that seems pretty impressive, especially for 5.56.

8 minutes ago, JF89 said:

I dont shoot long range too much but that seems pretty impressive, especially for 5.56.

On a 100 yard target, that thing will do under 0.75" groups all day long, with my 55gr handloads or the 75gr Hornady HPBT handloads.  Never over that, even if you try to Angelina Jolie that shiit and curve it into the target, jacked on coffee and Copenhagen.  At that distance, it usually bugholes them, stacked up.  All day, just screwing around.  It maintains that fractional percentile out to 600 with the 75gr loads, out to about 400 with the 55s - they open up after that distance.  I don't stretch it out beyond that very often, and the Fall Shoot was a decent time to try it.  Fired a sighter at the steel at 500 yards, then switched over to the longer target.  I was out of my the 75gr handloads, so I reached into the secret stash of the Black Hills Mk262 for that one. 

Edited by 98Z5V

16 minutes ago, JF89 said:

If you think that is cool - you should see the 12.5" Grendel smack that 845 steel,with 10.6 mils of drop - repeatedly.  THAT is impressive, man!!!   :hail:  It's the cartridge, not the loose nut behind the trigger, on that one...  :laffs:

*** with a 4x Leupold scope, too...   :lmao:

EDIT - This little hooker right here... is bad to the BONE, man!...

Short Grendel 1.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

I wouldn't build another Mk12 in 5.56, brother -  not after I put together a Mk12 Mod 1 Grendel for @Matt.Cross - no way.  That thing is SWEET!  Maybe we can get him to flash up some pics of it, with the Ops Inc suppressor on there. THAT little beast can bring the house down.  

I went absolutely Grendel Batshiit Crazy right before Spring Shoot '18, trying to get one done before that shoot - and I have 4 of those bastards running around the house now.  It's the perfect cartridge for a small-frame AR, I kid you not.

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If you think that is cool - you should see the 12.5" Grendel smack that 845 steel,with 10.6 mils of drop - repeatedly.  THAT is impressive, man!!!   :hail:  It's the cartridge, not the loose nut behind the trigger, on that one...  :laffs:

*** with a 4x Leupold scope, too...   :lmao:

EDIT - This little hooker right here... is bad to the BONE, man!...

Short Grendel 1.jpg

The 6.5 Grendel is a pretty sweet round, I regret selling mine. I thought the round had died off back in 2012-2013 when ammo was next to impossible to find so I sold it.

I never took it out anywhere near that far though. Have you tried a 1000 yards with the Grendel?

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I wouldn't build another Mk12 in 5.56, brother -  not after I put together a Mk12 Mod 1 Grendel for @Matt.Cross - no way.  That thing is SWEET!  Maybe we can get him to flash up some pics of it, with the Ops Inc suppressor on there. THAT little beast can bring the house down.  

I went absolutely Grendel Batshiit Crazy right before Spring Shoot '18, trying to get one done before that shoot - and I have 4 of those bastards running around the house now.  It's the perfect cartridge for a small-frame AR, I kid you not.

Screenshot_20181105-233443.thumb.png.178e17b488455aeb5cc31811228dca02.png

Pictured here with it's incestuous mutt cousin, SR-25/Mk11 Mod1/M110's slightly crazy uncle, AKA Mega Arms MA-TEN MTS-4400. (In background)

Screenshot_20181106-002646.thumb.png.6b8a9cb97d2433e1077856fc3f13c314.png

20 hours ago, JF89 said:

Have you tried a 1000 yards with the Grendel?

Gotta get a target location from my 10-foot berm, where I can see the damn thing at a grand.  I'm still working on that.  I've got a deadspot after about 900, that goes to 1200 yards, with 1300 being optimum on that one.  I'll play with target placement and come up with something that's at 1k. It WILL happen before the Spring Shoot.    :thumbup:

• 2 years later...
On 11/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, 98Z5V said:

On a 100 yard target, that thing will do under 0.75" groups all day long, with my 55gr handloads or the 75gr Hornady HPBT handloads.  Never over that, even if you try to Angelina Jolie that shiit and curve it into the target, jacked on coffee and Copenhagen.  At that distance, it usually bugholes them, stacked up.  All day, just screwing around.  It maintains that fractional percentile out to 600 with the 75gr loads, out to about 400 with the 55s - they open up after that distance.

So, this isn't a lie, zero exaggeration or bravado... 

Last month, I took the 6 ARC out to the new shoot that we're doing - the "Accurized AR Match" at Cowtown.  I have feeding issues with that gun, and need to tweak the feedlips on the grendel mags to make it run right.  Not something i'm going to do while it's just Psycho-Hot out.  Parked in the safe, until I tweak it.

Mext Match is coming up on 26 June.  Reg opens next Monday.  ONE GUN, THAT I KNOW RUNS, LIKE A CHAMP!!!...   The Mk12 Mod1...  It's going out on the 26th.

Last weekend, me, @JBMatt, and DirtBike Tommy went out to the SDTF, and verified our stuff.  Matt's Win Mag is STUPID ACCURATE.  It's just ridiculous...

The Mk12 Mod 1 is no slouch, either.  I verified my scope zero, made a little tweak for temp and weather, and it's dialed for the next shoot...   :thumbup:

First group up, see where it's at at 100...

102389340_Mk12Mod1zero13Jun211.thumb.png.3c31f3f690a555dabd6b69a418385284.png

Adjust slightly - I'll keep this one...

1107477131_Mk12Mod1zero13Jun212.thumb.png.dd7f06145fb06809a64505e3d711b8ac.png

@JBMatt's WinMag...   I need to adjust my load on mine, to keep up with this!  He adjusted the scope after this one, and got it centered, and I'm in TROUBLE on the Mile if I don't fix my shiit!!!   :laffs:

2007661588_MattsWinMag13Jun21group.thumb.png.46647584f5a6d8191868d6136c355372.png

DAMN GREAT SHOOTING, brother!!!   :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

So, this isn't a lie, zero exaggeration or bravado... 

Last month, I took the 6 ARC out to the new shoot that we're doing - the "Accurized AR Match" at Cowtown.  I have feeding issues with that gun, and need to tweak the feedlips on the grendel mags to make it run right.  Not something i'm going to do while it's just Psycho-Hot out.  Parked in the safe, until I tweak it.

Mext Match is coming up on 26 June.  Reg opens next Monday.  ONE GUN, THAT I KNOW RUNS, LIKE A CHAMP!!!...   The Mk12 Mod1...  It's going out on the 26th.

Last weekend, me, @JBMatt, and DirtBike Tommy went out to the SDTF, and verified our stuff.  Matt's Win Mag is STUPID ACCURATE.  It's just ridiculous...

The Mk12 Mod 1 is no slouch, either.  I verified my scope zero, made a little tweak for temp and weather, and it's dialed for the next shoot...   :thumbup:

First group up, see where it's at at 100...

102389340_Mk12Mod1zero13Jun211.thumb.png.3c31f3f690a555dabd6b69a418385284.png

Adjust slightly - I'll keep this one...

1107477131_Mk12Mod1zero13Jun212.thumb.png.dd7f06145fb06809a64505e3d711b8ac.png

@JBMatt's WinMag...   I need to adjust my load on mine, to keep up with this!  He adjusted the scope after this one, and got it centered, and I'm in TROUBLE on the Mile if I don't fix my shiit!!!   :laffs:

2007661588_MattsWinMag13Jun21group.thumb.png.46647584f5a6d8191868d6136c355372.png

DAMN GREAT SHOOTING, brother!!!   :hail:

Thanks, man!  Even with a called pulled shot high and right on the second group, it still measured at .7".  I'm going to have to call that load a good one for what it is.  We won't discuss how long it's taken and how many rounds I've run through it to get it to that point, but I'm happy with where it's landed, for sure.

3 hours ago, JBMatt said:We won't discuss how long it's taken and how many rounds I've run through it to get it to that point, but I'm happy with where it's landed, for sure.

No need to bring up old schitt…we’ll live for here and now, and right now that’s some damn fine shooting. Nice work.