• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

458 SOCOM

odie64

A little update from the last outing. I added the 1" rubber butt pad for the ACE entry length stock. It added just enough length to eliminate any unwanted contact to the face. Still not where I want to be accuracy wise but shooting offhand rapid fire at 25 yards. I'm pretty happy with the results. I think that is a 4' diamond for reference. The hardest thing right now is keeping it fed at the cost of $2.00-$3.00 per round and there are some that run higher.

IMG_20171018_183522639.jpg

IMG_20171018_183622343.jpg

IMG_20171014_141201562_HDR (1).jpg

Edited by odie64

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, sketch said:

haha yeah rapid fire a 458! that group will open up at point blank :fullauto:did the pad help with felt recoil to the sholder or just lop?

less than a second between rounds I consider rapid fire on that beast. Mostly with LOP the recoil is substantial but not what I would call overly harsh

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, sketch said:

bro im at about 600$ in ammo but i didnt have to buy it all . nor did i shoot it all.. some big guys got licks from my small gun! you punched a nice big hole in that target!

That thing you have is the devil.  8" pistol with a shockwave blade on it.  Shooting it is like some fucker hitting you in the shoulder with a machete...   :laffs:

52 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That thing you have is the devil.  8" pistol with a shockwave blade on it.  Shooting it is like some fucker hitting you in the shoulder with a machete...   :laffs:

yeah im ok with my machete. you ever hit the 3 inch 12 ga round i left for your not a gun short barrel... 

i have been hit with a machete before. it sounds bad but it was dull. or it fucking broke when it hit my hand!

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

21 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

That was a beast... it fucked up that bullet “resistant” glass too!!!

Damn straight on BOTH accounts!

• 1 year later...

Necro for the 458 sake! finally draged all my bins into one general area and looky here? I have a 16" .458sc budget build and make use of parts bin or sales I stalked up on. Build cost is id guess 400$ +. Need one mlok sling qd mount to run a Beachin tactical sling and done. 

20200415_164033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, odie64 said:

A little update from the last outing. I added the 1" rubber butt pad for the ACE entry length stock. It added just enough length to eliminate any unwanted contact to the face. Still not where I want to be accuracy wise but shooting offhand rapid fire at 25 yards. I'm pretty happy with the results. I think that is a 4' diamond for reference. The hardest thing right now is keeping it fed at the cost of $2.00-$3.00 per round and there are some that run higher.

IMG_20171018_183522639.jpg

IMG_20171018_183622343.jpg

IMG_20171014_141201562_HDR (1).jpg

Looks like fun, so its comparable to the 308 AR in recoil??  I've had two Wilson Combat 308's in my sights within the last month, and I missed one on Gun Broker, an Ultimate Hunter with 18" fluted and un threaded muzzle, I found a tactical hunter which had a folding stock, threaded barrel, and a nice Leopold, but it was pricey, I just couldn't pull the trigger...

I'm gonna be 64 in a few days, and while I used to shoot an 83 lb compound and a 71 lb recurve bow? those days are over... I'm having a similar issue with my little Husqvarna in 30-06, oh I can do it, but its not necessarily pleasant anymore, but then I'm 40 lbs less man than I used to be too?? 

My young second cousin offered to let me come out and fire the so com, I'm wondering if I shouldn't build a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC for my Rock while I'm waiting on a matched upper and lower for the WC-10 to be back in stock??

Brother, I hear you. The shiit I used to do without a problem (3" 12 gauge magnum rounds? 50 or 100, so it bruises you a litle, so what) is now more of a challenge. The bottom line will always be "can you shoot the bitch accurately, or not?" If you're flinching because of the recoil, you may want to dial it back a bit. To use an absurd anology, I'd rather hit my target with a .22 than miss it with a .45.

10 hours ago, billymagg said:

My young second cousin offered to let me come out and fire the so com, I'm wondering if I shouldn't build a 6.5 Grendel

You should definitely build a Grendel.  Hands down, it's the most effective cartridge ever designed for the small-frame AR, bar none. Nothing else even comes close.

Oh, and yes, I did build a .224 Valkyrie, to compare to the Grendel.  The Valk doesn't hold a candle to the Grendel.  No way. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You should definitely build a Grendel.  Hands down, it's the most effective cartridge ever designed for the small-frame AR, bar none. Nothing else even comes close.

Oh, and yes, I did build a .224 Valkyrie, to compare to the Grendel.  The Valk doesn't hold a candle to the Grendel.  No way. 

Thank you 98, I'm leaning that direction, I've kinda sorta looked at the Wilson 300 HamR, as I kinda want a 30 cal., I realize these are 2 completely different animals.... 

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Brother, I hear you. The shiit I used to do without a problem (3" 12 gauge magnum rounds? 50 or 100, so it bruises you a litle, so what) is now more of a challenge. The bottom line will always be "can you shoot the bitch accurately, or not?" If you're flinching because of the recoil, you may want to dial it back a bit. To use an absurd anology, I'd rather hit my target with a .22 than miss it with a .45.

Exactly, so I was looking at the Wilson Ultimate Hunter, supposedly under 8 lbs, I have a really ugly Savage 110 with a bull barrel, a gift thats no sweat at all, but I keep hearing the AR 308 is a  little bouncy?? anybody here in Central Obamastan, I'd like to shoot several of these calibers?

On 5/8/2020 at 1:41 PM, billymagg said:

Looks like fun, so its comparable to the 308 AR in recoil?? 

If my experience with Sketch's 458 is any indication then the answer to that is HELL NO! Fukkin thing kicked like a mule! I would rather shoot 98's 45/70 Marlin than that 458 Socom!

Edited by 392heminut

6 hours ago, 392heminut said:

If my experience with Sketch's 458 is any indication then the answer to that is HELL NO! Fukkin thing kicked like a mule! I would rather shoot 98's 45/70 Marlin than that 458 Socom!

And, that 45-70 Kicks Like a Mule!!!   So that's sayin' something, Larry!...   :laffs::thumbup:

And, I agree with you - I'll take the 45-70 for a "day of shooting" over @sketch's .458 SOCOM with the fuckin' Shockwave Blade stabilizer...  :lmao::popcorn:

I applaud any one that takes a fulllll mag chalange! I shoud do it like an eating a 3lb burger and 2lb fries challange,  if you wuss out you owe me the cost of the ammo..🍻 Really love the opportunity to hang with bro's and get the unique build out to share the pain!  on to the next!!