• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Can Someone Play Detective And Read My Brass

Inthebushes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Inthebushes said:

Bolt is nitride.  Wear is the same on both sides.  Hard to get a good photo with inside light, everything is shiny, but this one looks representative.  Looks pretty good to me.  Definitely majority of wear is the very back.  

image.jpeg

Nitrated , only 100 rds. , interesting .    Your reciprocating components should show break in wear, that would be normal , not sure of the Nitrating & its wear , I have to do some looking ,may be normal .  

Google search, showed others with similar issues with type coating "paint" on AP uppers.  The gun is functioning and I kinda like it.  I think I will smoke it up today and see how it likes the heat.  Everything feels nice, smooth, and tight with the action.  The bolt and the upper are just getting to know each other.  I think the bolt is going to be the daddy and mama better make room.

8 hours ago, Inthebushes said:

Google search, showed others with similar issues with type coating "paint" on AP uppers.  The gun is functioning and I kinda like it.  I think I will smoke it up today and see how it likes the heat.  Everything feels nice, smooth, and tight with the action.  The bolt and the upper are just getting to know each other.  I think the bolt is going to be the daddy and mama better make room.

:laffs::thumbup:

I'm giving it 5 out of 10 stars.  Always on rounds 9 and 10, the bolt would pick up 9 as it should, but then dig into the top of 10 and attempt to take it with it.  Im guessing that's a double feed and a magazine issue.  I did not try another magazine, but I will.  Is there anyway to adjust the height of the magazine just a hair?  I thought I read somewhere on this forum that adjusting the depth of the mag release button had some small effect, but I don't see how. Other than that, 48 rounds ran perfectly, 12 did not.  Anybody ever round down the front edge of the two bottom lugs on a bolt?  Im thinking it's the back edges that really matter.  I'm thinking this would let the bolt slide over the next round better and reduce the drag marks.  I have never had this issue with AR15s.  I may have to sacrifice a bolt.

What may brand are you using ?  Trying a different brand , like a Lancer L 7 , a DPMS metal Mag., or others . 

If the BCG or any other Action component is slowed down , be it lack of Lubricant or friction , short stroking can happen & cause a Bolt over , also could be Barrels Gas Port size , wrong Gas Tube length , wrong or mismatched Buffer Components.

I'm using a 10 round Pmag.  I think PSA recommended Pmags for their lowers, so I had picked up a couple.  I like the Lancer mags, I'll just have to order a couple.  SLR adjustable gas block, everything ejecting to 3:00 or 3:30.  Good solid lock back on empty.  JP spring.

When I got in this afternoon, I removed the bolt and carrier, extended the bolt, and with downward pressure slid it across a new piece of brass.  It stuck.  There was a small point of metal on the front corner of one of the bottom lugs.  I lightly sanded it off and hit the sharp edges on both the lugs contacting the brass.  The gun then fired 9 and 10 three times.  Not sure if the problem is solved, but a few more rounds will tell the tale.  The boss was home, and I didn't won't her to come down to see what I was up to.  I don't know about you, but the less my boss knows, the better off I am.

Could be a Rough Chamber , whats a fired , ejected case look like ? 

Here are two 308AR's with several thousand rounds through each of them , I don't care what finish you have on your Receiver , those  marks are excessive to me . 

I also I looked at three Nitrated BCG"s & none showed any wearing off of the Nitrating. I can't really say about two of them , one is in a POF NP 3 Upper Receiver , one is in a BRO Norguard coated & one is in a Tactical Machining Upper & has the Hard coat Anodized with Dry Film applied , so they may not be good representative of how it should wear inside the Upper .

Two different 308AR rifles , one is a Tactical Machining 308AR Upper , the other is a DPMS Upper .

DSCN2958.thumb.JPG.bd3951e1ffe00f41df9592e6972c90e0.JPGDSCN2959.thumb.JPG.1232a82ededb997850ba4d1cf7b5f5e3.JPG

Chamber is good and ejected brass has no scratches.  I always polish the chambers before installing a barrel.  This one got a second polish when I had to remove the tiny burr from the chamber neck that was denting cases.  Looking at your pictures, I have a problem.  Aero CS emailed today asking which bolt I was using, they wanted to know parkerized, black nitride, or nickel boron.  They already knew it was AP.

2 hours ago, Inthebushes said:

Chamber is good and ejected brass has no scratches.  I always polish the chambers before installing a barrel.  This one got a second polish when I had to remove the tiny burr from the chamber neck that was denting cases.  Looking at your pictures, I have a problem.  Aero CS emailed today asking which bolt I was using, they wanted to know parkerized, black nitride, or nickel boron.  They already knew it was AP.

Interesting , I remember a member here sending an Aero complete Upper back , because of some issues & they said the Receiver was tweaked or something like that . Wonder if yours is too . I can't believe that Charging Handle can mark the Finish up so quick , it may be part of the issue ,if its putting pressure on the BCG  , hard to say .

Cycling the action feels really smooth and precise.  I shot the gun today and had no malfunction.  Even played around with some 100 grain ELDs, and not one issue.  As long as you don't look inside the top of the upper, you would think all is good.  I think it has "broken in", it just looks bad.  It may get worse, or that might be it.  I'm sure the guys at AP have seen this before.  I'm wondering why they would be interested in the bolt finish, first?

28 minutes ago, Inthebushes said:

Cycling the action feels really smooth and precise.  I shot the gun today and had no malfunction.  Even played around with some 100 grain ELDs, and not one issue.  As long as you don't look inside the top of the upper, you would think all is good.  I think it has "broken in", it just looks bad.  It may get worse, or that might be it.  I'm sure the guys at AP have seen this before.  I'm wondering why they would be interested in the bolt finish, first?

Maybe they think its Galling or something to that effect , two dissimilar finishes . 

Hey if she works & your happy , go for it , but if the wear continues or you start having Failures , you need to do more research .  Its just the low round count , shouldn't show this kind of wear or the signs of it .

AP has asked if they can ship the lower and bolt home for inspection for QC.  I'm giving them a thumbs up for good customer service and hope I get it back, or one like it, soon.  The gun was really doing well, other than appearance, but probably would have long term issues.  I had changed the charging handle, magazine, buffer and spring, and softened the edges on bottom bolt lugs.  Would only scratch on the first and last rounds and 100% reliable with several types of ammunition.  I would have to reverse engineer to see what really helped with reliability.  May have just broken in, and none of the changes mattered. 

2 hours ago, Inthebushes said:

AP has asked if they can ship the lower and bolt home for inspection for QC.  I'm giving them a thumbs up for good customer service and hope I get it back, or one like it, soon.  The gun was really doing well, other than appearance, but probably would have long term issues.  I had changed the charging handle, magazine, buffer and spring, and softened the edges on bottom bolt lugs.  Would only scratch on the first and last rounds and 100% reliable with several types of ammunition.  I would have to reverse engineer to see what really helped with reliability.  May have just broken in, and none of the changes mattered. 

Lower Receiver & Bolt ?

• 2 months later...

Should have never sent this gun back.  Would have been better just to have dropped it in the garbage.  The whole process has been a nightmare and has taken months.  After Aero Precision asked me to send it to them, I did.  I liked the gun and it was functioning fine.  When I got it back weeks later, it wouldn't function at all.  The customer service was ridiculous.  Their communication process is a joke.  You start a "ticket", which means you ask a question and they might answer in a couple of days, or a week, or answer part of the question, or not at all.  Phone calls were not returned.  They wanted to run some function tests, and ask if I would return the upper and lower this time.  I returned it again.   Same crap on the same ticket, no questions answered as to their function tests.  Two weeks later they issued a store credit, minus disassembly charge.  So for about $200 more bucks I could get another one.  The disassembly charge really pissed me off.  No thanks, no more Aero Precision for me.  I asked the gun just be sent back, and they did, about 2 weeks later, disassembled, in a bag with several of the lower parts missing.  Also, without the bolt carrier group.  I asked for the bolt carrier group in writing 3 times over the next 2 weeks, and 1 phone call that was not returned.  The bolt came yesterday out of the blue.  Aero precision has the worst customer service I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.  I have used their stripped lowers and uppers plenty of times and never had an issue.  I'm sure most of the M5E1s are good to go but their customer service is horrible, not a problem if you don't need them.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, Inthebushes said:

Should have never sent this gun back.  Would have been better just to have dropped it in the garbage.  The whole process has been a nightmare and has taken months.  After Aero Precision asked me to send it to them, I did.  I liked the gun and it was functioning fine.  When I got it back weeks later, it wouldn't function at all.  The customer service was ridiculous.  Their communication process is a joke.  You start a "ticket", which means you ask a question and they might answer in a couple of days, or a week, or answer part of the question, or not at all.  Phone calls were not returned.  They wanted to run some function tests, and ask if I would return the upper and lower this time.  I returned it again.   Same crap on the same ticket, no questions answered as to their function tests.  Two weeks later they issued a store credit, minus disassembly charge.  So for about $200 more bucks I could get another one.  The disassembly charge really pissed me off.  No thanks, no more Aero Precision for me.  I asked the gun just be sent back, and they did, about 2 weeks later, disassembled, in a bag with several of the lower parts missing.  Also, without the bolt carrier group.  I asked for the bolt carrier group in writing 3 times over the next 2 weeks, and 1 phone call that was not returned.  The bolt came yesterday out of the blue.  Aero precision has the worst customer service I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.  I have used their stripped lowers and uppers plenty of times and never had an issue.  I'm sure most of the M5E1s are good to go but their customer service is horrible, not a problem if you don't need them.

Wow !  Sorry for your experience .

I've been thinking of purchasing one of their M5E1 Build kits in FDE from the local gun pusher , but now I'm going to think about it more .

I think you should send this last update - review, in a way - to them.  Let them know how this job has gone.  This doesn't sound like the AP I've gotten used to, and something is up.  I've been dealing with them for about 10 years.

OP, I'm not saying - in the least - that what you are saying isn't accurate to the situation you are in, and what has been done.  I'm not doubting what you've been through.  Not even a little. 

They just need to know how this whole process has gone for you over this rifle...  :thumbup:

Beauty of the ticket communications, everything, time-line and communications, all in writing.  The phone calls would be more difficult, but not impossible.  I tried to get above the CS department, but got nowhere.  I don't think they make a bad product, I just think it could have been handled better.  The missing parts is just a pisser, and I have no recourse, but I have plenty of spare parts.  I have an attorney looking at everything, I want a refund, but really just tired of dealing with it.  I've built 3 other large caliber rifles since the AP rifle, from another manufacturer,  and had no issues at all.  I'm starting to believe it may have been the bolt (AP) all along, but I'm out of town until Monday and not able to fool with it.  Before I left, I assembled the gun with a different bolt, because they kept my bolt, and ran a 6 round function test in the dark.  It fired all 6 rounds, didn't destroy the bullets, and didn't put a mark of any kind on the brass.  I was really surprised.  It would not do this with the AP bolt.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:02 PM, Inthebushes said:

I want a refund, but really just tired of dealing with it.

Never give up the fight.  I just went through this with an absolute SHIIT vendor, on a knife purchase.  Never again will Universal Mania get a penny of my money, and I'll try to discourage ANYONE I know from giving them a penny - they are not worth the pain in the a$s that they are.

On the other hand, AP is good stuff, and your report of how they handled it surprises me.  I don't think you should give it up, because something IS wrong with your combo/parts.  Something wasn't right.  They're a good company, but their CS stopped you in your tracks - they need to know this, much higher up in their food chain.  Their ultimate decision making on a customer problem needs to happen higher up, than it happened to you.  That needs fixed.  

Never give up the fight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, 98Z5V said:

You post that info to their FB account, and I'll bet you get contact, and traction on your situation.  I'm just sayin'...  These days, FB is everything...

I agree with this. Facebook is KING when it comes to social media. And, companies do pay attention to their Facebook accounts. Bad publicity on Facebook equals bad sales, and vice versa. I'd definitely contact them on Facebook. Or, even write a review of your experience with them on their Facebook account. I'll bet they contact very quickly.