• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA 308, should I be concerned

OK ,being a former QA on rocket moters maybe  I'm being to critical.but asking the members of this forum for there opinion. After mating up my PSA complete gen2  lower with PSA gen2 18 inch midlenth308 stainless steel complete upper it went together just fine after pinning it front and back the lower and upper was nice and tight, no movement at all between the lower and upper,took these pictures 

20170728_154120.jpg

20170728_154145.jpg

3 hours ago, dcmacharlie said:

20170728_154145.jpg

Don't sweat that little gap there. 

However, can you close that ejection port door?...  Is that bolt carrier fully seated in this pic?  If it is, the pic makes it look like that port door wouldn't close, and would contact the front of that carrier cutout for it...

Just curious...

Glad it works - but it looks way out of whack.  Typically, that carrier cutout is kinda-centered over the port door retainer.  The cutout usually has holes in it, too, or very close to it, so you can get oil the rings on the bolt, without breaking it down.  Okay, I'm seeing those holes not - just forward of the cutout.  That works.  :thumbup:

You made me nervous about my BCG so I searched the Internet for pictures of BCG installed in AR10 and most were centered on the port door but I did find some similar to the way mine is, so as long as the door closes I should be GTG right!!, you need to remember that I'm kind of new to the AR so when you say something doesn't look right I take your years of experience with this type of weapon and check it out,a good thing, and as someone wise told me once  (keep your mouth shut and listen you might learn something ) thank you 698Z5V ,17000 posts that's impressive 

Screenshot_2017-07-28-22-45-41.png

The Rifle will probably loosen up a bit after break in . five hundred rounds or so & thats not an AR 10 Pictured , its an Aero DPMS Pattern Rifle , no biggie , it shows the BCG , like 98 said , sure looks close in the one photo . 

We will be expecting a range report :thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this,but you asked for opinions.....I have some pricey builds and some economy builds. None of them are sloppy /mismatched  like that. You don't have to have a LaRue or any other expensive rifle factory built ,or home assembled to have good fitment.... looks like crap to me...no offense         Wash

20 hours ago, dcmacharlie said:

thank you 98Z5V ,17000 posts that's impressive 

Screenshot_2017-07-28-22-45-41.png

Your setup from your pics looks very close to the same as that Aero setup, so you should be good.  I have a couple Aero 308 setups, but both are running DWilson BCGs in them, not the Aero stuff.  Just caught me as strange-looking. 

My years here and post count don't mean anything - just means I have friends to bullshiit with, routinely.  :thumbup:  I know my join date says 2013 or something, because we transitioned to a new board then, but I've been here for ...  shiit... over 7 years now...

Edited by 98Z5V

Just a little information, I sent the pictures to PSA customer service and the next day I got a email saying they would gladly take the upper and lower back and Send me a new one or fix the problem , I thought about that for a bit and decided that I'll take the weapon to the range and if it functions like it should without FTFor FTE I'll just keep it, if there are problems then I'll take up there offer 

20170726_095859.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, dcmacharlie said:

After closer inspection took these pictures, should I be concerned with the mating 

20170728_153722.jpg

20170728_153822.jpg

Mine looks the same. Mine does have a tiny bit of movement though. It's similar to a lot of other AR's I've fired. Mine functioned good. No issues with the rifle. And, it was fairly accurate. It's got potential. Do y'all think that a slight bit of movement between the upper and lower will affect anything? I didn't even notice it until I saw this thread, and checked my rifle for it. My rifle has the same gap as the OP's. I fired 180rnds yesterday with it, and it functioned good. I field stripped it and cleaned it today. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. My bolt looks like the OP's as well. I never noticed that until I saw this thread.

I think I'll quit obsessing, and just shoot it!! I'm finding that I really like more punch in an AR. Funny thing, I noticed at the range nearly everyone had AR's they were sighting in. There were probably 10-12 guys with new AR's, and there was one lone bolt guy at the end of the line. The bolt guy was a reloader, and was testing some custom loads. He'd shoot a three shot group, and wait for the cease fire, while the AR guys were blasting away.

If it helps at all....mine also shows the same gapping. And it has fired many hundreds of rounds just fine.

I did tighten up the fit with some of VarmintLights.com "X-Shim" kits... not a lot but enough to minimize the wobble.

http://varmintlight.com/x-shim-kits/

I can't prove they help at all... ( accuracy wise ) , but they make me feel better.

Decent photos... with the X-Shims installed.

,.......................................................IMG_2553.jpg

,.......................................................IMG_2555.jpg

,..............................................IMG_2554.jpg

I kinda did the same thing. I used some fuel cell tape between the upper and lower. This stuff is made to go between an aircraft fuel cell and the airframe. Very high adhesion and resistive to chemicals. Liked duct tape on steroids. Upper and lower fit is solid as a rock now. If it looks like redneck engineering it's because it is. If you can't duct it, fnck it.

1505086061000746252095.thumb.jpg.11698d54373f330daea6e7164b65a7f8.jpg

Okay you all with the PSA's..... Do not be concerned with the sloppiness and gappers in your uppers to lowers.....I have with good authority know that they were purposely built to have gaps . Im sure you all have seen the tv or movie clips where the seal team comes out of the ocean or lake with their AR's firing at the enemy....Yes they are using PSA's cause that's how all the water drains out from those gaps letting them engage .....I can not confirm or deny any of the above or below      :fullauto:  Wash

18 minutes ago, washguy said:

Okay you all with the PSA's..... Do not be concerned with the sloppiness and gappers in your uppers to lowers.....I have with good authority know that they were purposely built to have gaps . Im sure you all have seen the tv or movie clips where the seal team comes out of the ocean or lake with their AR's firing at the enemy....Yes they are using PSA's cause that's how all the water drains out from those gaps letting them engage .....I can not confirm or deny any of the above or below      :fullauto:  Wash

You mean I have the S.E.A.L edition?!

That oughta add some resale value. :thumbup: